Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2010 One Lap of America

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up 2010 One Lap of America

Fresh off the press from Tim Harper who was RochesterDSM team captain last year:

Last year Steve, Mike, and I piloted the One Lap VR4 to a very respectable rookie finish. Hell, even getting that car home was a win for us. But what really made the trip a success was all the people that were involved and specifically the online community.

For 2010 there have been some big changes to the RochesterDSM One Lap team. The big news this year is we are bringing two cars on the trip. Chris Wirth is signed on to drive his GT30 powered Evolution X. We've also made a minor driver change. Mike Hayes who co-piloted the VR4 last year has moved into the alternate driver spot due to conflicts with work. Last years alternate driver Sean Caron has stepped in and will co-pilot the Evo X with Chris. Steve Burke and I will continue to pilot the One Lap VR4.

We are doing more then just adding another car we are combining forces with things like the web site, marketing strategies, and some sponsorship opportunities. This year sponsors will have three options for their money. They can put it towards the VR4, the EVO X, or both. This gives us the flexibility to not only sell to traditional DSM sponsors but to the new emerging EVO X as well.

In the coming weeks we will be rolling out updates to the web site, marketing and sponsorship information, as well as updates to the preperation of the cars.

You can read more about this on our website here:

onelap.rochesterdsm.org
I'm really excited about this years event and assuming the car holds together and the nuts behind the wheel are consistant we should finish quite well in the overall standings. The bar was set high after seeing how much community backing the Mitsubishi Galant VR4 got last year, but I'm confident that we can rally just as much support through the Evo X community and Evolutions in general that it will be a great experience as well.

The Evo X certainly seems to be the perfect platform for such an undertaking and I plan on making sure that the car is in 100% ready to race shape before the event. As soon as there is a break in the weather I'm going to verify the latest changes have brought power output up to 550 crank HP on the local STM dyno. I've been working with Darkside Engineering to get a nice set of BC Racing ER Coilovers (10k/12k) installed on the car before the event. I'll be getting as much shakedown time in as possible with my co-driver Sean Caron during the month of March and April so that there are no surprises. You can see much of the car details at this location:

onelap.rochesterdsm.org/therides/the-evo-x/

I'll be contacting potential sponsors for the event personally which will typically be those that I've had a great experience with in the past. Any vendors that are interested can PM me about the details as well and I'm sure we can work something out! In the above Garage link you will see a "Future Modifications" section and these items are areas we are are considering for upgrades before the event although we should be fine with what the car has now. Considering the fact that each car will cost roughly $6000 to field for this event, cash sponsors are going to be highly prized as well to offset costs.

Official One Lap of America website: http://www.onelapofamerica.com/

Last edited by Hiboost; Feb 9, 2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spend a day on Suspension setup doing bump-rebound, you'll be surprised how much of an edge this will give you.

Then spend another day on toe-alignment, the X's can be quite agressive, although keep and eye on the 7000+ miles you'll be doing also when setting toe. We once ran out of tyres somewhere in New MExico on a sunday afternoon. But we were leading class... Got 2nd that year.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffDOZ
Spend a day on Suspension setup doing bump-rebound, you'll be surprised how much of an edge this will give you.
Definitely. We'll be spending a bit of time on suspension tuning pre-events. The EvoX is going to undergo a pretty radical suspension change and the goal is to get it fine tuned by beginning of April.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure if one of you guys have a set, But I plan on ordering corner scales very soon. You are welcome to them when ever.

-Em
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
cool
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JeffDOZ

Then spend another day on toe-alignment, the X's can be quite agressive, although keep and eye on the 7000+ miles you'll be doing also when setting toe. We once ran out of tyres somewhere in New MExico on a sunday afternoon. But we were leading class... Got 2nd that year.
I'm going to lean heavily on Sean to get us mostly dialed in after install and let the car settle for a week. Then see about corner weighting it at STM with Sean and get it professionally aligned. I think I am going to favor -2.5* Front / -1.5* Rear and mild toe settings versus -2.0* Front / -1.0* Rear with more aggressive toe. It seems the inside edges of the front tires really get torn up fast with the toe out settings. It would also be nice if we can find a setting that allowed me to lower the camber ~.5* up front for daily driving if the -2.5 ends up being a bit too much for typical use.

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
I'm not sure if one of you guys have a set, But I plan on ordering corner scales very soon. You are welcome to them when ever.

-Em
Thanks Emery! I can always count on you guys helping us out when in need!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:54 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
now where is the picture of the VR4?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by sblvro
now where is the picture of the VR4?
Oh we got pictures...if you want to see the back of the car just ask Chris..
Attached Thumbnails 2010 One Lap of America-vr4-day-0-2009-hotel-quarter-shot.jpg  
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreenGSX
Oh we got pictures...if you want to see the back of the car just ask Chris..
That could mean two things, that you just passed me and pulling away...

or

That I just caught up to you and threatning to pass!

It will be good 'ole friendly competition that will push us both a bit harder to finish well. I'm comfortable with the current power levels on the X, maybe 50 hp more would be somewhat safe as then I could dial back the boost some to get similar HP as it sits now at 27 psi. The biggest worry is driveline issues or something not liking the stress on the stock block. I've read too many failures at higher boost levels with Meth lately when for the most part those people didn't have any knock, just lots of torque.

In the handling department I think the Yokohama AD08 and corner weighted coilover suspension is going to make this car handle incredible thanks to Sean being such a suspension Guru. Did I mention his hourly rate to work on the VR4 setup?

It's going to be somewhat busy over the next 14 weeks but it will be all worth it once we run the event.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

SUBSCRIBED! keep us updated I will be following the progress. This is awesome I wish I had an opportunity to do something of this measure.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Also can you use the perrin psrs kit to gain the extra -.5 camber. Or am I way off here?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meggs00
SUBSCRIBED! keep us updated I will be following the progress. This is awesome I wish I had an opportunity to do something of this measure.
Will do, it is going to be a blast for sure. I plan on posting some of the best in car videos I find for all the tracks we will be running so that people get an idea of what road courses we are hitting this year.

Also can you use the perrin psrs kit to gain the extra -.5 camber. Or am I way off here?
"Improve turn-in and increase handling prowess with PERRIN Positive Steering Response System (Anti-Lift Kit ALK)"

I think it's more of a way to get an extra 1.5* of caster and improve turn in. Looks like it has potential and isn't overly expensive. I can already alter the camber as much as I would ever need with the BC Racing Coilovers so this would just tweak the setup a bit more. I'm wondering how brutal this would make the ride for a daily driver, the extra benefits seem like it could be worth it though.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:08 AM

We have created a Rochester DSM One Lap fan Page. I think when this all started, we didn’t appreciate the difference between a Facebook Group and a Facebook Page.

Once we started on the trip itself, it became very difficult to maintain an Internet connection long enough to update everything and the Facebook group fell behind. Having a Facebook Page will allow us to post updates from emails and also give us a better visibility footprint to people who do want to keep up with us.

While it seems redundant in nature, I can see the Page being more useful to us than the Group. Take a minute to become a fan of us on the Page to keep up with the 2010 events through Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roches...2633384?ref=ts

I actually wrote up a quick article on the advantage of the fan page, since we had a lot of questions ourselves.

http://www.stephenjburke.com/2010/02/facebook-pages/

Thanks for you support,

RochesterDSM One Lap team
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Subscribed. Best of luck! I look forward to reading about your progress!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation More Updates!

Originally Posted by GreenGSX
We have created a Rochester DSM One Lap fan Page. I think when this all started, we didn’t appreciate the difference between a Facebook Group and a Facebook Page.

Once we started on the trip itself, it became very difficult to maintain an Internet connection long enough to update everything and the Facebook group fell behind. Having a Facebook Page will allow us to post updates from emails and also give us a better visibility footprint to people who do want to keep up with us.

While it seems redundant in nature, I can see the Page being more useful to us than the Group. Take a minute to become a fan of us on the Page to keep up with the 2010 events through Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roches...2633384?ref=ts

I actually wrote up a quick article on the advantage of the fan page, since we had a lot of questions ourselves.

http://www.stephenjburke.com/2010/02/facebook-pages/

Thanks for you support,

RochesterDSM One Lap team

More Evo fans are needed, don't let the DSM/VR4 guys beat us out!

I've also done some updating on the website recently in addition to the VR4 and Evo X logos being updated.

Updated details on car setup and specs:

http://onelap.rochesterdsm.org/therides/

Updated driver profiles, namely Sean Caron and myself:

http://onelap.rochesterdsm.org/about/

Updated event map that includes links to all track websites, track maps, and a sample video of Evo's running all the tracks!

http://onelap.rochesterdsm.org/the-event/

Stephen is working on finalizing the sponsor pdf but any vendors that wish to consider sponsoring us in some form are more than welcome to contact us before that is completed. With the event 12 weeks away we are going full bore even if most people are still in winter hibernation mode.

Last edited by Hiboost; Feb 6, 2010 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 One Lap of America