Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

ways to quiet down buschur exhaust without losing too much power

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ways to quiet down buschur exhaust without losing too much power

Just spoke with Nick from buschur racing,who was a very nice and knowledgeable person. I had called to ask about a few ways to quiet down my magnaflow exhaust system.He told me about resonators and perhaps a high flow cat. Currently my car has a test pipe and honestly I love the response that it has given me and would prefer to not loose all the gain from it. Has anyone attempted to quiet this exhaust down with good results?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the only step you can take is messing with the test pipe... either cat, high flow cat, or your best bet for no power loss is resonated test pipe. I know Road Race Engineering sells a test pipe that looks like a cat with a thermal blanket in it... not sure if that'll help absorb some noise... but it does give it a thump sound instead of ringing when tapped.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have a Vibrant resonator welded onto my Buschur bullet exhaust, which helps a little bit. Thought about adding a second one but never did. A resonator or two certainly won't make as much of a difference as installing a high flow cat though.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

throw a potato in the exhaust.

or just get a high-flow cat. makes a huge difference. resonators just make the sound more mellow. the difference is negligible.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by macPSU
I have a Vibrant resonator welded onto my Buschur bullet exhaust, which helps a little bit. Thought about adding a second one but never did. A resonator or two certainly won't make as much of a difference as installing a high flow cat though.
What size resonator did you use? The 12" or the 18"? I'm thinking of having an 18" resonator welded into my Cobb exhaust. I have a testpipe and an HFC and I noticed only a marginal drop in sound level switching from a testpipe to HFC. I'm hoping the resonator can net me a least few dB drop (especially in the low frequencies) from where I'm at now.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 04:05 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
I had a friend with a Buschur exhaust in his VIII, and he loved the power, did not want to lose any either. He really thought outside the box, got some dynamat type stuff (home depot version), lined the trunk and the area behind the backseat. It quieted down his car a ton. It was cool, because it could still be loud outside, but was great inside.

Good luck to you.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

You can get a resonated TP, or even a mini muffler. That should quiet it down some. If that's not enough though then it's time for a HFC.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
What size resonator did you use? The 12" or the 18"? I'm thinking of having an 18" resonator welded into my Cobb exhaust. I have a testpipe and an HFC and I noticed only a marginal drop in sound level switching from a testpipe to HFC. I'm hoping the resonator can net me a least few dB drop (especially in the low frequencies) from where I'm at now.
I have the 18" resonator. I had the muffler chopped off at the same time the resonator was welded in, so I wasn't able to get a comparison before and after the resonator. I'm sure the difference isn't going to be tremendous, but I guess it's better than nothing.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 04:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
macpsu's car is hella loud hahah
Old Oct 5, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same exhaust (crossflow?)with a mini-muffler test pipe from UR. Its tolerable at idle and when you're light on the gas, but when you step on its still loud as hell.

Was considering a resonator too, but from what i've heard it won't make alot of difference, and am still looking looking for a way to quiet it down just like you are
Old Oct 6, 2010, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

any idea of how dramatic the power loss would be be putting in the stock cat?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by ekizenbe
any idea of how dramatic the power loss would be be putting in the stock cat?
That would be your worse bet it u like the power from the TP although it would quiet it down a good bit.. You could sell the TP and get a mini muffler from Ultimate Racing instead. Don't put the stock cat in it especially if you are tuned for the TP.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

i really like that ult racing mini muffler! how much will that quiet this down?