Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

BeaterX round3: carnage, catastrophe, and car pr0n—aka ******* it what now!?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:46 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
BeaterX round3: carnage, catastrophe, and car pr0n—aka ******* it what now!?

Local friends and shops--its these things that make this community awesome! This thread is about Modern Automotive Performance (MAP), DB Performance, and other friends and members of the community are helping nurse BeaterX back to health!

First off, BeaterX background info (if you feel like some background reading):
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ew-beater.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-ton-pics.html

SECOND: reminder, I'm an average guy...a computer geek actually, I do network engineering. Cars always have and always will be a hobby for me! Everything you see is either in my garage or at shops near and dear to my heart.

So I have had a freaking blast with this car this summer, completely turned it around from a cobbled beaten down stock-ish X into a BBX-powered, autoX'ing, low 12-second, full-fledged shenanigans machine/daily driver. After our fall dyno day where it made 444whp @ MAP I decided to take it easy on the car for a while--just drive it. Summer was over, we had our fall cruise, work was absolutely bonkers and dedicated car funds were low/gone.

After I got back from the cruise, tragedy struck. I didn't know how bad it was, but I started taking some steps to try and figure out what was going on.

Compression test the other night: 70 135 140 145
booo!
I put a cap of oil into cyl #1 and it brought compression up to 140. Gah, sounds like bottom-end problems

I borrowed Ron @ RS Motors (with the 10-sec stock turbo IX RS) boroscope (thanks agian Ron!) and it confirmed, 4b11's are DSM's too! LOL. The pics are fuzzy but you get the idea.

Vertical scoring

Something ucky going on with part of the piston/ring land:

It sucks too, I just got my new ignition working (these are prius coils ):

Oh well, we'll have to test it out on another car.

Super hung over from MitsyStyle.com party at TKRPerformance's party friday before halloween, but Kody(GG_9_SE) came over for an afternoon/evening of 'do work son.' Had the head off after about two hours and the motor on the floor a few hours after that. On to the carnage pics.

Head off, piston#1 at TDC. Problem?

Head looks like it ate some ****. Just run it or should I get this cleaned up?

Good productive use of a saturday evening:

Piston out of cyl1, top ring missing about 1/3 and lower ring siezed in place:

Ouchie. Close-up of sides of piston:

Now close-ups of the cylinder walls. Just damage everywhere. Not sure what causes this but yea, not super pumped.

Cyl1(rear then front):

Cyl2(rear then front):

Cyl3(rear then front):

Cyl4(rear then front):

And finally, close-up of little damage on piston#4

Here's some more pics of the head, exhaust ports (looking for particle damage) cyls 1-4:

And the CC's, cyl's 1-4:

Also examined the turbine wheel (CBRD's BBX) for damage, only thing I could find is a *slight* ding in the turbine wheel, but not sure if it is really anything (I've run worse turbos for years on DSMs).

When I bought my house about 5 years ago my dad made me the most epic workbench ever. Thanks dad, putting it to good use now

***END CARNAGE PICS!***

So, what to do next? I shopped around everywhere but was slapped with setback after setback. Buschur and AwdMotorsports had built 4b11's 'in stock' but the only blocks they had were $6000 sleeved setups that were way overkill for me. AMS had cores in stock but it was going to be 3+ weeks before they could ship out. I slowly find out that key parts that I'd put in my 'dream build' are on back-order: GSC S2's not available until end of november (and now even later), Manley I-beams weeks out, Kelford and GSC's valvesprings were weeks away, and if the block was toast ultimately there's a national backorder from Mitsubishi. FML.

I decided in the end to just keep the build local and keep it simple. I live in Minneapolis, MN and am truely blessed that there are several awesome shops around here to help me get things fixed.

SHORTBLOCK: Modern Automotive Performance
MAP has a set of their new X-beam rods ready to go in, JE pistons a blink away, and in-house machining ready to do work. We set a schedule and so far they have been very good about keeping me up-to-date and things are on track to be done THIS FRIDAY, the third business week (about 2.5 weeks) after dropping off the shortblock. Not a bad turnaround all things considered!

(also, enjoy this awesome pic of turbotalon1g)

More pics? I love pics. Only thing that keeps me going some days. torque plate is in, crank and everything else look happy as a clam.

I get all sorts of crazy ideas in my head when I go and visit MAP or DB or RS....I'm glad I just made simple decisions and am pushing forward with a nice basic 2.0 build. The block is decked, and boring comes next to fit in these puppies:

Boring as of last Thursday. Borrowed a used set of ARP headstuds from mlomker and HollywoodX's torqueplate on short, short notice:

As of today, block is half assembled, rods/pistons go in tomorrow and then I can pick it up!

HEAD: DB Performance!
So on the same day that I dropped the block off, I ran the head over to DB Peformance. Shane usually does tuning wizardry but they have been pumping out more and more high-power and SUCCESSFUL builds in the past few years and I am nothing short of impressed. This is a small, 2-3 man shop. Guys doing what they love! Today though they are going through the head of my 4b11t because guess what, that chunk of ring that we saw missing? Yea, it went through and bent at least 4 valves and ate some other isht along the way

Like I said above everything EVERYTHING is on backorder but this community is just filled with such great parts suppliers/manufacturers I don't feel bad about it! First, the head is getting welded up and fixed. Then a 5-angle valvejob with +1mm Supertech valves, a basic (but effective) port job, Supertech dual valvesprings, and a set of Kelford 214-b cams.

If all goes well the head could (I hope!) be 99% done this week. I say 99% because of the damn tappets--we will likely have to order in a few to bring things back into spec, and that will probably take a few days. This won't slow me down though--if the shortblock is done or the head mostly done, it'll all get bolted back together with the transmission, a fresh set of ARP headstuds, a fresh 6-puck disc for my ACT HDG6 and it will go back in the car this weekend. Little stuff will follow and it'll get fired up after Thanksgiving (family first!).

INJECTORS: Someone recently posted a thread swearing off a set of injectors as the fault of their engine failure before really knowing if they had infact caused it. Instead of being a dink, I sent my nearly maxed DW800's off to DeatschWerks to get checked out. The tests came back 100% perfect and they will be back in time for reassembly. I cannot say enough about how awesome of service DeatschWerks provides!

Extra stuff? Ok.

Saturday night I sold my stock-ish FMIC, gonna ship it out tomorrow. I was kinda freaking out about what to do but finally a deal came through for me:

Buschur Race FMIC. 4.5 x 18 x 12 Garret core, 972ci--this is one of the biggest and best flowing cores on the market. I will have to do a wee bit of grinding to get it in but I will have one less excuse for pump gas powa now. This is step 1 to a bigger/later project I had originally planned to do over the winter involving the LICP, TB, and IM that has now been put off for a long, long time. Stock stuff will have to suffice I guess This core is exactly 50% bigger than my old PTE/Garrett core FMIC but with the same surface area. Should do me good on pump gas!

So that brings us to today! We're on the tail end of the build and I'm PUMPED to get this thing back on the road. Thank you to everyone that's helped me so far and I'm sure there will be plenty more people/shops to thank in the next few weeks. I'll report back as things progress
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel sorry for that BBX already. 500whp here we come.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:45 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, that turbo isnt going to work properly with a bent blade....

send it back in

cb
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:36 PM

nice work ^^
Old Nov 19, 2010, 05:01 PM
EvoM Moderator

Wooooot baby it's ***n black Friday for scheides!!

Picked up the head from DB Performance and it looks HOT, big valves, nice basic port job, the dings are all fixed and the dual valvespring setup looks pimp. Shane helped me check the clearance on the tappets and half of them were perfect! We went to roll the intake cam over and it would not budge. Seems like the cam was improperly machined from Kelford.

-cmvsb.jpg

so, option one is to put *everything* back together with the stock cams and try fire it up this weekend, or wait on the cams and wait further on tappets (I suppose I should check clearances on these either way). Either way Shane is being awesome and has been an insane resourse through this process.

After that I made my way to MAP to pick up the shortblock and gaskets. All I can say is that I am seriously impressed. The everything was actually ready to go at 10:30am today but I wasn't able to make it there until after 5. Engine looks freaking hot, wait till you see the rods. This is a 'stage 1.5' shorty, stock sleeves with their big bad stage2 rods.

-0oqjl.jpg

I have a *pile* of other parts but I just pulled the car into the garage and immediately bailed--night out with the wife to make up for the massive checks I had to write today. If anyone wants to help tomorrow, give me a call or just show up, I will be getting started around 10am (?) and working all day/night untill it's done or I give up. Beer and food provided to those who draw their own blood, bust a knuckle, or get oil in your hair
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:04 AM
EvoM Moderator

Was pretty hung over this morning but finally got started around 1130 or so. Engine is mostly assembled (cams and timing side stuff left off for now) but the oil pump & chain, oil pan, head, flywheel, clutch, trans are all bolted together and hanging from 3 motor mounts in the engine bay

Thanks do Dane (dzeust) for getting me going and the donuts, and Thielen(bananas!), Shawn (DoughtCom) Spaz for helping with the hard parts. Got it all done w/o too much banging and swearing! Also got a ride in Shawn's GC8 RS-STi conversion, that thing rips!

Headed back out for another session after some time with the wife and basically just kicked some bolts around, didn't get much done. Working by yourself is the pits, maneuvering the turbo in place and trying to thread bolts in at the same time is impossible on this car. Aside from the transfer case, clutch slave and shifter linkage, everything else gave me problems: all the accessories, I seem to be short a bag of bolts or something because everything I try to put in has 3/4 bolts of 5/6 or something, its kinda insane. You can't be too organized I guess.

Got the turbo setup sorta refreshed: fresh o-rings, copper washers, and coolant hoses, and got the maifold coated:

Shawn screwing down the flamadation valve:

Dane w/ lightsabre (fresh clutch disc & fluids in background):

Pics of the head: DB Performance job w/ porting, +1mm valves, and Supertech springs

Spaz helping bolt up trans:

Up she goes!

****ty stuff? Slightly bent the lip of the oil pan while installing the motor. NBD will get it as flat as possible when I go to put the timing cover on. In the bussle of the project I skipped this stuipd little filter:
Attachment 339194

It goes in the block, from the top, under the head. FML. Trying to figure out if I need it or not, may have to yank the head back off. I would have yanked the head off immediately but brookdale already closed for the day. I guess subaru has a filter like that for the turbo, many people pull it, honda has a screen for VTEC, many people pull it...

All in all I'm pumped and just exhausted, so far to go but so close too. I'll update on the cam situation and such but until then its work and family time so the car will probably have to sit for a tish longer than I wanted it to. I got a ton done today but I still feel frustrated with the amount of work left to go. Just a tough spot to stop, I wish I was further along. One step at a time I guess Work and family vacay put this off a solid 10 days.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome story, I didn't think I'd be reading this type of story about an X so soon. Great stuff tho, keep up the awesome work .
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:01 PM
EvoM Moderator

"so soon?" Not sure I follow ya? But yea neigher did I I guess. I've owned the car for 8k miles and about 6 months. The whole thing has been a whirlwind! Good fun though
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:18 PM
EvoM Moderator

Lookee what showed up today

Stock LICP kinda hangin there but it lines right up and is juuuust shy of 2.5", probably about 2 3/8" OD and flows very nicely:

Also, found this chunk of lead behind where the FMIC mounts, it seriously must weigh almost 7 pounds. Goodbye!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
the chunk of lead is a vibration dampener haha

love your threads scheides...tons of pictures and easy to read/follow
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:22 AM
EvoM Moderator

^Thanks man! Glad to share. Sometimes I feel a bit wordy but seems like knowledge is spread best this way! Plus then I have good notes to look back at when I wonder where I went wrong down the road

CAMS ARE HERE!

So here's a pic of cam cap #3 sitting on top of the first cam I got. Note how it doesn't quite sit down all the way on the cam:

Thanks to Shane at DB Performance for helping me get this sorted so quickly! He measured the new cam when it came in and was doubtful it would fit...so I brought the cam cap up with me and it slid right on! It was hard even for several sets of calipers to decipher the difference, so who knows...maybe it was out of round or something?

New cams:

Got home, slapped them in immediately:

Enjoy them in there because they're coming right back out, time for some math!

The 4b11t has buckets that sit on top of the valvesprings, then the cam sits on top of the buckets, like a honda. You put the cams in, measure all 16 clearances, then take them out, measure all of the buckets that are out of spec (with the new cams, springs, valves, ported head, its not surprising!), then figure out if you either want to rearrange all of them and try to make them fit, order new ones, or a combination of the two.

I was able to bring all but 3 of the intake valves into spec (.008" +/- .001"), and the other 3 are only another .001" out of spec on the loose side. I would almost feel comfortable running them like this buuuut the exhaust side was just a mess. One had a gap of .003". The spec on that side is .012" +/- .001 so it was waaay out of spec.

So after some extra time with the outside micrometer, shop manual, I had to choose between 47 different tappets to order, all are stepped up about .0006" from each other (.005mm). The ones that were far off I ended up ordering two tappets each, just to be sure I don't have to wait for extras. At $8.50 a pop this was another quick $100+ down into this thing, but this *should* be the last thing I need to put everything back together! I paid an extra $20 to get them overnighted so its gonna be head down this weekend and see how far we get!
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:55 PM
EvoM Moderator

Pulled the head off tonight, got the turbo sorted, manifold mounted to the head, stupid oil filter in the block, and the head back on the car, torqued to 92ft-lbs. Fiddled with a few other things and just called it good. Thanks for the hand tonight Rosey!

Now the bad news. *one* of the tappets I need is on backorder, but the warehouse waited until too late in the day to call brookdale back to inform them this, so I tried to order the other two that I need, but they cannot be here till monday. Once the new tappets come in I'm going to see what I can do rearranging stuff but Gosh, DB, and MAP no one has this size tappet. Boo.

Todo list is getting smaller than the list of stuff done finally, I'd love to fire it up this weekend but I might just have to do everything but the cams, sigh. Stupid tappets make me want to stabby stab! Fingers crossed for a miracle.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

i feel like im reading an interesting book and then get interrupted. cant wait for the fairy tale ending! keep up the good work and informative post.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:17 AM
EvoM Moderator

Haha thank you! Mitsubishi actually kinda borked up the tappet order so I'm just going to charge ahead and get as much done as possible this weekend, cams-be-damned. If by some miracle I can get tappet clearances in spec with what I have I will put all of the timing stuff back on and maybe fire it up sunday (I want to wait 24 hours to let the RTV dry after I put the timing cover back on), otherwise it will be maybe monday night....except I gotta work monday night to....FML!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

nice work...

Quick Reply: BeaterX round3: carnage, catastrophe, and car pr0n—aka ******* it what now!?