Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fast Key question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fast Key question

Recently my fast key stopped working, my dash indicating a service was required for the key. I could only start the car by using the metal key with the fob attached to the back of the key.

The dealer then tried to reprogram the fast key. They had no trouble "re-registering" the key but could not get the fast key to register properly. I watched their little computer, connected tot he car, read out that it was trying to communciate and the progarmming was unsuccessful. We tried a new fast key too, to no avail. The net result is that they were not able to program the fast key and so I now start the car using the metal key. Anyone have similar experiences? The dealer indicated they had no idea why they coupld register teh key (the the car starts) but not set up the fast key program.

I had removed, recently, the Sirius module (just unplugged and unboled it from behind the dash), HVAC, and hazard switch in preparation for the cage install. I wouldn't have thought any of these modules were related to the FAST key, correct? is there a fast key module or piece of electronics that I may have disconnected? Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would re trace your previous steps when taking out those said parts. One by one and see if something changes. It seems to be the only thing that could have changed your fast key response. Did you have this problem prior or after the removal of those parts?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, After I removed the parts the problem arrived. You're right, of course, and my hope is that someone could tell me whether the FAST key system is dependent on any one module, or is it the ECU itself. Or, like you imply, that one of these other pieces (For example, Sirius) were key for the FAST key system to work...

I appreciate the input.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

anyone else?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

It's either the key or the transceiver system inside the vehicle @ the ignition. could be antennae as well. tell them to check that out too if they're having difficulty.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, I'm wondering about the transceiver system. Is it at the base of the steering wheel or somewhere else under the dash?

The key seems to work, and they tried a new fast key just to make sure it was the car and not the key/ FAST fob.