Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Who switched from 6MT to a X MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who switched from 6MT to a X MR?

I'm a die-hard MT guy, and I've NEVER owned a car with an automatic transmission. The very thought just irks me. Trouble is, I'm considering selling my IX MR at some point and picking up an X... and I really wish it were offered in 6MT. I can't help but feel like the 5MT in the GSR would somehow be a downgrade, and on the other hand, the MR transmission, twin clutch aside, is still a glorified AT. Did any of you MR owners switch after years of driving stick? Any regrets? Is it as bad as I make it out to be in my head, or do you get accustomed to it? I understand that the SST is technically 'faster' than a manual gearbox, but I just feel like nothing can replace the feeling of rowing through the gears on a twisty mountain road, and executing that perfect heel-toe. Thoughts?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
SST is faster - no doubt...

is it a more engaging drive... hrmmm maybe, you can focus on steering, rather than shifting.

but shifting is part of "driving" to me

I went for the 5MT...

In retrospect I would rethink and *maybe* go for a SST, but a LOT of that is from a development point of view.. nothing like self testing... something I cant do atm :|
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:53 AM
Cat

I've driven a manual full time since 1998, 5 and 6 speeds, all domestic makes. Traded this week for an MR.

I like TC-SST and I'm not going back. What I like is that it acts like a manual if you want it to. It's not as snappy as hitting the clutch and yanking, and you have to train yourself not to let off the gas when you shift, because the computer does all that for you. I've only had my MR for a week, but I can tell you that I like it, it seems to react quickly, you can feel the shifts, and it seems to know just when it needs to upshift or downshift. Both the paddles and the shifter work fine in the Tiptronic mode (that's what I call "manual") and respond fairly crisply.

Plus, I have a secret smile knowing that my transmission is part of the same family as the one in the Ferrari 458 Italia.

Miao, Cat
Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:48 AM
b3n
Evolving Member

I made the switch from a 6MT IX MR to a X GSR - I had the very same reservations. After owning my X for over 2 years, it doesn't bother me at all that I'm one gear less. Don't let that aspect sway your decision, moving from a IX to a X is a solid upgrade.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

As usual another Manual transmission Fanboy confusing the TC-SST with a torque converter automatic transmission, because the computer can shift the gears ( which is far more efficient and better at selecting the gears than any person will ever be able to do) or the driver does....

Sorry but pretty much every auto maker is moving to transmission very similar to the TC-SST. Most if not All the Supercars out now have similar transmissions. Even the STI has a similar transmission in it in Japan along side with the 6 speed manual.

And one of the main reasons for theses transmissions is because the research shows that the standard manuals are not efficient. the hole dance of taking your foot off the gas, pressing the clutch, change gear, foot off clutch and back on gas pedal takes some a few tenth of a second and thats all it takes to decide whos the winner and not to mention the lapse in power to do the hole thing.

Last edited by EXcel4600c; Jul 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Test-drive both and decide which you like better
Old Jul 9, 2011, 03:18 PM

i prefer a solid manuel, makes you feel more like "part of the car" if you know what i mean, IMO
Old Jul 9, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

I went from a '08 STi w/ 6 MT to a '11 Evo GSR. I wouldn't even consider the MR. I love the M/T and FWIW the 6 MT in the IX wasn't the strongest. The 5MT is fine. It drones a little bit at 80mph, but that's the only complaint I have. Go for the GSR.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

I went from 10 years of driving manual to the SST. For me, I really miss manual and will most likely downgrade to a GSR later.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive both & see what you think. I've driven both & here are my thoughts: I got out of the MR saying this things a bloody auto with optional manual mode! First off, you get in & see a stick that reads P R N D. True sequential tranny's (Ferrari was mentioned in an earlier post) don't have this idiotic stick sticking out of the console - auto tranny's do. Secondly, you put this thing in D to start driving & it changes gears for you. Hmmm, I think auto's do that? Finally, to put it in true "manual shift" mode, you hit some buttons that change settings, & THEN you use the flappy paddles! I didn't get a chance to redline it in that mode to see if it would upshift for you if you hit the limiter....maybe an MR owner can chime in if it does or not. To me, this tranny defines itself by its' default mode - automatic....with optional manual mode. I think most regular auto's these days offer that, albeit not as fast shifting with the dual clutch setup of the MR, but that's just a little different icing on basically the same kind of cake. If the MR tranny by default only operated as a true sequential & did NOT have that dumb gear shifter on the console, then it could be placed in the same category as Ferrari's F1 tranny's & Lamborghini's E-Gear. Not to hate, but nice try ...
Old Jul 9, 2011, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

I was in the same boat as the OP before buying my SE. I miss the MT, but love the TC-SST as well. They are too different things, each with their own pros and cons. I find the TC-SST enjoyable to drive and convenient when you need an auto.

I'm not regretting going with the twin clutch, the major thing that bothers me is the cost to replace it
Old Jul 9, 2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by EXcel4600c
As usual another Manual transmission Fanboy confusing the TC-SST with a torque converter automatic transmission, because the computer can shift the gears ( which is far more efficient and better at selecting the gears than any person will ever be able to do) or the driver does....

Sorry but pretty much every auto maker is moving to transmission very similar to the TC-SST. Most if not All the Supercars out now have similar transmissions. Even the STI has a similar transmission in it in Japan along side with the 6 speed manual.

And one of the main reasons for theses transmissions is because the research shows that the standard manuals are not efficient. the hole dance of taking your foot off the gas, pressing the clutch, change gear, foot off clutch and back on gas pedal takes some a few tenth of a second and thats all it takes to decide whos the winner and not to mention the lapse in power to do the hole thing.
lol I'm very much aware of your points. I mentioned that the TC-SST is indeed faster (and thus more efficient). I'm perfectly cognizant of all the "sporty" vehicles out there moving to similar transmission setups because of these qualities... and yet it's not about that. I could care less if a traditional manual trans is slower and less efficient; It's about that satisfying feeling of being directly connected to the car, rather than controlled by it. I don't want to feel like a passenger while in the driver's seat.

At any rate, it's definitely interesting to hear the spectrum of opinions here from those who have switched. Thanks for everyone's input! Obviously when it comes time to buy an X I'll take an MR for a spin, but in the meantime I was just curious about what other enthusiasts think.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 07:59 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been there, done that. Owned manuals for over 15 years, then bought a VW with DSG. I was enamored with the DSG. For the first couple months it was so wonderful because of how fast it shifted. Then, I grew completely tired of it. It is NOT engaging like a real MT. It wasn't right for me. I had to have a real MT. So, I went and got a GSR.

If you're like me and truly a MT guy to your core - the TC-SST and all its technical glory will NEVER be the right fit for you. It just won't be. It will be fun at first - almost like a video game. And then you'll slowly get bored with it and wish you had a real MT.

Get a GSR. If you can wait until this fall it might worth your while to wait until the 2012 comes out and see if Mitsu puts a 6MT in the GSR (slim to none chance but doesn't hurt to wait if you can).
Old Jul 9, 2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by atombomb33
I've been there, done that. Owned manuals for over 15 years, then bought a VW with DSG. I was enamored with the DSG. For the first couple months it was so wonderful because of how fast it shifted. Then, I grew completely tired of it. It is NOT engaging like a real MT. It wasn't right for me. I had to have a real MT. So, I went and got a GSR.

If you're like me and truly a MT guy to your core - the TC-SST and all its technical glory will NEVER be the right fit for you. It just won't be. It will be fun at first - almost like a video game. And then you'll slowly get bored with it and wish you had a real MT.

Get a GSR. If you can wait until this fall it might worth your while to wait until the 2012 comes out and see if Mitsu puts a 6MT in the GSR (slim to none chance but doesn't hurt to wait if you can).
This post ALONE tells me pretty much everything I need to know.

As for the '12, my budget at the moment really only allows for a lightly used 08 or 09 to be honest, so that's really not a consideration at this time. Who knows though... with the right financing offer, a 6MT GSR might just be tempting enough.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

The TC-SST is by far the best "automatic" I've ever driven. Heck, it's the best Dual Clutch transmission I've ever driven! (That includes the R35 GT-R's unit and the DSG used by VW)

I also love manual transmissions. I really enjoyed the one in my Evo IX MR, though the 6mt in my M3 was a source of much frustration. However, I love the convenience of the TC-SST. I can shift it when I want to, or I can let it take over if I feel the need. In traffic, the TC-SST is by far a better choice than a manual. Sure, shifting the TC-SST yourself isn't as engaging as it is with a manual but it's still fun.

The thing that always surprises me is how well the computer figures out shift points on its own, even in "Normal" mode. It always seems to be in the gear I would choose for any particular moment if I were driving a manual. And, every time she rides in my X MR, my wife comments non-stop about how much it sounds like "you're driving a manual, but perfectly". It certainly doesn't drive like a typical "automatic" and it doesn't feel like a typical automatic. It feels like you have a manual transmission with Michael Schumacher shifting for you.

So far no complaints and no regrets. The TC-SST is definitely an "automagic" transmission.

Quick Reply: Who switched from 6MT to a X MR?