Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X MR vs Evo X GSR

Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X MR vs Evo X GSR

Hey everyone. I know this question has been asked so many times but.. all the threads I have read never really included their intentions on the car. First things first I'm new around here. Greetings . Also I'm planning on getting the 2011 Evo just kind of iffy on which one to get.. I know the pros and cons for both models.. but I want every ones opinion. This car is going to be a daily driven car. I wont be doing any (Maybe not many) runs with it. Just hoping for a daily driven street beast. Looks nice.. has power... rides good.. that's all I really need.
Opinions anyone?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

There's so many threads on this.. but to help the OP out.. here's my 2cents

I was at the same boat as you when I looked into evos. I test drove the 9's and finally the 10's. I chose the MR purely because its going to be my daily driver. IMO its easier tolive with than a manual, especially in San Francisco! But then again, you'll prolle get a lot of GSR owners that says that GSRs are great for a daily driver as well. Test drive both and see for yourself. Cheers!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:29 AM

Awesome. I'm in San Diego.. and traffic here isn't the best either. I will take your opinion into consideration. Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

biggest question;

Do you want a standard trans or an automatic? How are your feelings between the two.

GSR -
Pros
--the 5MT will take more toque than the SST
--Use of a clutch /cheer
--Less weight
--Lower price for the car

Cons
--5th gear ratio is annoying if you commute at 75-80mph. It's like 3800revs
--Manual Trans in traffic ( I like it, so it's all up to you on how you feel about that)
--My shifter cables rattle while cruising...it's annoying

MR
Pros
--Shifts faster than any human can.
--More family friendly if you share your car with a spouse?
--convenience

Cons
--If something breaks the cost is INSANE
--Limited on the power you can make (the going accepted point is like 350-360tq)
--Base price on the car is higher
--Might want to upgrade your trans cooler (maybe maybe not, all depends on how you drive)

Moot Points, these are all opinion like most of this is, but this is stuff you get with the MR that is simply not available with any package on the GSR

--2pc rotors
--automatic windshield wipers
--color matched exterior trim and chrome accents
--BBS wheels
--heated side mirrors

Stuff available on the GSR that used to only be on the MR but will cost more in packages
--Sun and Leather (heated seats, but top grain leather, not suede like the MR, IMO top grain is better)
--SSS now includes the sound deadening like the MR had

Whatever you decide i'm sure you'll like it. I got the SSS and Sun and Leather on mine, because basically I wanted an MR, but prefer to drive stick. The only thing I really don't like is the gear ratio on the 5MT. To me, I see spending money in the future for the Shep 5th gear change. I wish I had the ratios I had in my 6MT in my STi.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:42 AM

Thanks for your input TheBlade. There were a few things you mentioned that I didn't think about. Cheers for your post.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

saw the replies before after submitted mine. I see you're in SD

First week of having my GSR I drove to La Jolla from Phx. I had no problems on the 8, 15,94, and for the near 1k miles I drove around. Traffic in SD is definitely not as bad as San Fran/ San Jose. However, I spent a lot of time about 10years ago in Lakeside/Santee area, and I could see how the traffic could get annoying. Once again, it's all preference on how you tolerate driving stick in traffic. The difference between the two, would be the same if you were considering driving any other manual trans or auto passenger car...it's not like the pedal pressure is insane or anything.

Last edited by TheBlade; Nov 5, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlade
saw the replies before after submitted mine. I see you're in SD

First week of having my GSR I drove to La Jolla from Phx. I had no problems on the 8, 15,94, and for the near 1k miles I drove around. Traffic in SD is definitely not as bad as San Fran/ San Jose. However, I spent a lot of time about 10years ago in Lakeside/Santee area, and I could see how the traffic could get annoying. Once again, it's all preference on how you tolerate driving stick in traffic. The difference between the two, would be the same if you were considering driving any other manual trans or auto passenger car...it's not like the pedal pressure is insane or anything.
Again thanks again for your input. I guess I will have to test drive both before anything.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 04:26 PM

For a DD with no real power goals in mind it just comes down to if you want a manual or auto with the minor point of the auto having a couple of nicer features. I love my GSR and a buddy of mine has an MR so I can compare the two (both with similar mods) and I really love driving both. I'll always pick stick over auto but that MR is a beast in it's own right. You can easily toss on a full bolt-on kit without having to worry about the car and knowing you got a nice street beast. His is full AMS boltons and mine is full ETS boltons both with GS 3port and aftermarket bov's. He has the advantage of having 1000cc injectors and an E85 tune and stock DP and I have stock injectors 93 tune with an ETS DP. After taking our cars to the track we're running pretty even. I guess my point is, you can get everything most of us GSR owners have and then some if you don't have high HP gains in mind and still have a nice ride if you get an MR. So really it comes down to, like i started this off, Auto (more features) vs Manual (fewer features). Good luck.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

I've been driving manual for 10 years and had the MR for 2.5 years before I changed to a GSR. Love the Evo X, hated the SST. It's all a matter of preference. I like manual in traffic as it gives me max control. The SST is awesome under race conditions where you don't need to time your shifts, but it's not as engaging. Dodson is going to release their SST clutches and other internal parts this week as it just had their debut in SEMA.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 05:29 PM

I drive a big truck with 15 gears for a living.....I'm getting an MR.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
it seems these days the only reason to get the manual version is.. if you want a manual car
Old Nov 5, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

^truth
Old Nov 5, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Track oriented person should get the GSR. More civil and dd person perhaps car show person should get a MR.

You can do vice versa , but it think this is the proper way to think about them.
Rob
Old Nov 5, 2011, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is I think the GSR has a stiffer stock suspension set up, so it will be less comfortable as a daily driver. The MR rides smoother out of the box and I believe comes with extra sound deadening materials.

Probably not different enough to sway your decision, but something to keep in mind. I think it really comes down to if you want a manual or not.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 08:23 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This question had been beaten to death.