Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Royal Purple Filter

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Purple Filter

Bought the parts to do my oil change this weekend, well got them for Jiffy Lube to do it. Got Mobil 1 oil but Pep Boys was out of the filter so I was looking at the K&N and Royal Purple. Went with the Royal Purple. I was amazed at how much heavier it was than the K&N. So were the guys at Jiffy Lube. I saw them out there looking at it and first thought I bought the wrong one or something but the guy came over to me and was telling me how much heavier it was than the one they use. He also said there was some sort of "valve" in it that the ones they use didn't have. I didn't look so I don't know. I was wondering if the weight was a sign of better quality or maybe it's just heavier for no reason. I know it was a couple bucks more than the Mobil 1 and K&N.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Well I know that RP uses a synthetic filter element instead of paper. That could contribute to the weight.

I just found out also that RP filters, Mobile filters, and K&N filters are all produced at Champion. Take that for what it's worth.

Last edited by EuroEclipse; Apr 23, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EuroEclipse
Well I know that RP uses a synthetic filter element instead of paper. That could contribute to the weight.

I just found out also that RP filters, Mobile filters, and K&N filters are all produced at Champion. Take that for what it's worth.
Yea the oil and spark plug debates have been going on since the beginning of time. Had the same ones in my Range Rover and BMW forums back in the day. In the end, they are probably all the same. I tend to fall for the higher the price the better theory. I plan on changing close to every 3k since I drive a little on the hard side and like to go to the canyons. Any oil will probably last 3k miles, but I will stick with the Mobil 1 or may try Royal Purple. Sucks I cant change it where I live. So I have to spend 70 on oil at Pep Boys then take it to Jiffy Lube and give them 38 bucks. I have a free oil change at the dealer but don't want to take it there because I have the ETS Intake on it. Plus Jiffy Lube Literally took 10 min to change the oil. I pulled right in and they were draining almost the second I shut down.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet the conversation over at RP was something like this, "So how do we make our product stand out from the competition so that people will buy it? I know! lets make it heavier! Genius Charlie!"
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power Enterprise Mag II is the best Oil Filter available. (IMO)

I also fall for the "higher the price the better" theory...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Apple does it all the time. It's all marketing. Buying habits aren't all logical or rational. With the amount of options out there sometimes it's the little things that get us to buy. My ex wouldn't buy a car if she didn't like the feel of the door handles. Didn't matter how much she liked the car itself, if the handles felt cheap or whatever it is she was looking for in a handle , she wouldn't buy it. You could imagine the salespersons face when she said "I love this car and would buy it right now if the door handles were different." It was pretty funny.

Originally Posted by deanob
I bet the conversation over at RP was something like this, "So how do we make our product stand out from the competition so that people will buy it? I know! lets make it heavier! Genius Charlie!"
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Yea the oil and spark plug debates have been going on since the beginning of time. Had the same ones in my Range Rover and BMW forums back in the day. In the end, they are probably all the same. I tend to fall for the higher the price the better theory. I plan on changing close to every 3k since I drive a little on the hard side and like to go to the canyons. Any oil will probably last 3k miles, but I will stick with the Mobil 1 or may try Royal Purple. Sucks I cant change it where I live. So I have to spend 70 on oil at Pep Boys then take it to Jiffy Lube and give them 38 bucks. I have a free oil change at the dealer but don't want to take it there because I have the ETS Intake on it. Plus Jiffy Lube Literally took 10 min to change the oil. I pulled right in and they were draining almost the second I shut down.
I know what you mean. RP is a great oil, and I miss when they sold the fluids a lot cheaper. The best way to tell how good a filter is is to check/analyze your oil after you drain it. AMSoil filters are great, K&N Gold is great, as well as some others. Just stay away from Fram and their paper elements.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry OT but does anyone sell HKS super oil here in california?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:26 PM

I was always under the impression that Royal Purple was a lot of marketing but their stuff wasn't that great... I've always stuck with Mobil1.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ovidiu
I was always under the impression that Royal Purple was a lot of marketing but their stuff wasn't that great... I've always stuck with Mobil1.
Never had any problems with it. I ran full RP fluids in my IX and it felt very smooth.