Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

removing swirl marks other then BLACK cars

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
removing swirl marks other then BLACK cars

Every time i search on how to remove swirl marks I see another black car, So my question is what product can i use on my WW? I saw a product online some where but can't remember the name or where I saw it at, also I want to use a product without buffing machine
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

check out autogeek.net

I use Menzerna products or Wolfgang. ALways start with the least aggressive product and work your way up from there if it doesn't do what you want.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiars Scratch X or Ultimate Compound. That used with a Griots Random Orbital and the appropriate pads and you can kiss those swirls good bye. You'll also need a polish and wax to finish it off. Search youtube tons of videos.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

If you want to get swirls out, you've got to use a machine. You simply cannot remove swirls by hand.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input guys!!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:15 PM

You should not really be able to see surface scratch marks on a white car very visibly. But the process is the same regardless of the color. That said, you must take more care on a black car because it shows everything. Fortunately in the Evo X commnity, as with most Japanese cars, the blacks are metallic. This shows depth in the paint surface and helps to hide surface scratches. As McDougal said, any product that is applied by hand only temporarily covers the scratches with a petroleum base. This will wear and wash off. To remove the scratches, it must be polished. The polishing process is something that should be left to professionals as doing it improperly can have consequences. I hope this helps and would be happy to help with any other questions.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lucke24
You should not really be able to see surface scratch marks on a white car very visibly. But the process is the same regardless of the color. That said, you must take more care on a black car because it shows everything. Fortunately in the Evo X commnity, as with most Japanese cars, the blacks are metallic. This shows depth in the paint surface and helps to hide surface scratches. As McDougal said, any product that is applied by hand only temporarily covers the scratches with a petroleum base. This will wear and wash off. To remove the scratches, it must be polished. The polishing process is something that should be left to professionals as doing it improperly can have consequences. I hope this helps and would be happy to help with any other questions.

Not true.. A 6inch random orbital is almost impossible to burn the clear coat. Following simple instructions and using the proper pads will yield professional results. Its not impossible to burn the the paint with a random orbital but its extremely hard. Its a 3 step process using this particular machine.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SD_Lurker
Not true.. A 6inch random orbital is almost impossible to burn the clear coat. Following simple instructions and using the proper pads will yield professional results. Its not impossible to burn the the paint with a random orbital but its extremely hard. Its a 3 step process using this particular machine.
This. Most newer orbitals have fail safes against this. With the two I have you can literally buff your arm and it doesn't burn or hurt at all.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:45 PM

Depending on how deep the scratches are, a DA (orbital) may not cut deep enough to get the scratches out. They may even require sanding. The three steps may be a good follow up to a true polish but the polish is required if the scratches are deep enough. I would assume that they are pretty deep if they are visible on a WW car. But you should always start with the least invasive like an orbital as the last two posts said and work up. I don't wanna get into a pissing match so to each his own...