Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Help please! =( recent accident - rust/dent damage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it even possible i can trade-in this at dealership? rust/dent damage

Recently accidentally damaged my lancer 09. Was wondering the best affordable way to fix this...

Auto body shop said they have to replace the whole side cover..... and would costs intotal like 1.5g-3g's i tried loooking online for parts. but they only sell like rear bumpers, trunks, front bumper. That kinda stuff.

I wished this dent/rust damage was on my bumper then it would be more easy to replace/fix. but this dent/rust is right above the rear light and its almost like half-inch deep dent.

So i was wondering whats the best way to fix this or even clean it up to look atleast DECENT without breaking the bank goin 1000's++ into this.

I was thinking in the future i would like to sell this car.... but im assuming only through privately. because i doubt a dealership would accept this as trade-in or anything.
would dealerships accept my car?
****experienced car salesmen advice woud be much appreciated!****
Attached Thumbnails Help please! =( recent accident - rust/dent damage-img_20120510_145405.jpg   Help please! =( recent accident - rust/dent damage-img_20120510_145400.jpg  

Last edited by STang8; Mar 16, 2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: trading in possiblity
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
welp.. no way to sugarcoat it. You need a whole new panel to fix that. Based off my 1 accident and the many threads i've seen and read. You can't fix that because it's at such an angle and small area. If you wanted to do something temporary, you could sand it all down and put some primer on it to stop the rust from continuing on.

How the hell did you do this btw? What did you back in to?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Insurance?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Stout
welp.. no way to sugarcoat it. You need a whole new panel to fix that. Based off my 1 accident and the many threads i've seen and read. You can't fix that because it's at such an angle and small area. If you wanted to do something temporary, you could sand it all down and put some primer on it to stop the rust from continuing on.

How the hell did you do this btw? What did you back in to?
Happened when i was staying at my cousin's condo. his condo building has a very narrow parking lot AND what makes it worser is that he has the worst spot in the parking lot at the far end. With 1 way entry and exit parking lot.

Well i backed up in the fence. My fault =( I thought i bumped into a snow bank because it was during winter when this happened. but i guessed wrong =(

Thanks for replying though! much appreciated
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

I am sure a decent body shop could bondo it?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't ever put bondo on your car. Worst advice ever.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:29 PM

Bondo gets a lot of hate. It's okay for some things, but this repair is probably not one of them.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That part of the body is not an individual order-able part, it is welded to the rest of the car and in order to be replaced would need to have a section cut out of the car and re-welded. It goes strait up into part of the sides of the roof. AFAIK, that kid of repair would be bent back as much as possible, filled, and repainted.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
That part of the body is not an individual order-able part, it is welded to the rest of the car and in order to be replaced would need to have a section cut out of the car and re-welded. It goes strait up into part of the sides of the roof. AFAIK, that kid of repair would be bent back as much as possible, filled, and repainted.
I agree, and, if I have the location correct, if they were to replace the piece it would be the whole quarter panel. They then weld in a new piece and patch the seam. Don't do that, if possible. With the race car, when I "kissed" the Armco at NJMP they ended up doing as is described above. Tack welds to pull it all out (a zillion) and a tiny bit of patch, sand and paint. It was much more time consuming than cutting and replacing the quarter panel but much better for the integrity of the car.