Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2012 X GSR HP/TQ dyno expectations in simple terms

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 X GSR HP/TQ dyno expectations in simple terms

Just a quick (or long drawn out) question.

Tons of dyno graphs and bolt on combo's out there for the X. I've had my 2012 GSR since November. Got a ittle over 4k miles on it. Next step after Uncle Sam shells out some cash is intake and exhaust bolt on's and a tune.

First. My 06 Evo MR was stolen back in Oct. 12. Short story, I hope someone is enjoying my Recaro's in their Civic and made a few bucks on the ecu and steering column and HID's and front bumper. Surgeons!

My MR was on the dyno twice. Once with a Cobb exhaust with high flow cat and again after an Injen intake and Forge MBC. Baseline on a Mustang was 285 HP. Exhaust and tune made it put out 320 HP. After the intake/MBC and second ecu tune it read 360 hot, 355 cold.

I'm not good at reading dyno graphs (I'm learning). Seems like every dyno reads different. Are calculations in whp or crank hp (after calculating driveline loss)? This has been my biggest point of confusion. And at what point is a calibration of those factors done on a dyno?

Sorry if this is getting long.

So... my X is supposed to produce 285 hp stock. I'm considering going intake and exhaust all in one shot soon. Probably all Cobb, AMS widemouth, Access port. In Florida we have good 93 octane.

I drive daily. Do all of my own work. I had around 90k mi. on my IV MR and still on the stock clutch. It ran beautiful! Never at the track and really never launched hard. Treated it like a baby. I was sad to see it go. Totaled for what I could have comfortably repaired for 5 g's. Insurance paid me pretty good but declared it COD, so putting it back on the road was out of the question. I looked and looked all over for one like it. Closest one was one that Scott was selling but had the 6 speed swapped for a 5. I looked for one that hadn't been roached to death, but no cigar.

What would I expect on the stock turbo in same Mustang readings with a conservative or semi aggressive tune with the above mentioned mods? Of course if there's a better combination of parts, I'm all ears. Yes, I do plan on using a high flow cat too.

Basically if I get a baseline of 285 or so, I'll know that whp hasn't been factored in, right? and if the baseline is around 220 then I'll know it has? And where could I end up after a good tune?

I appreciate good replies. I dont run my cars hard all the time. But like the Bible and guns, you may never need the power...but it's damn nice to have it when you need it! The TL did it!

Last edited by atombomb33; Feb 13, 2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Removed street racing reference.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by supwiddiss
Just a quick (or long drawn out) question.

Tons of dyno graphs and bolt on combo's out there for the X. I've had my 2012 GSR since November. Got a ittle over 4k miles on it. Next step after Uncle Sam shells out some cash is intake and exhaust bolt on's and a tune.

First. My 06 Evo MR was stolen back in Oct. 12. Short story, I hope someone is enjoying my Recaro's in their Civic and made a few bucks on the ecu and steering column and HID's and front bumper. Surgeons!

My MR was on the dyno twice. Once with a Cobb exhaust with high flow cat and again after an Injen intake and Forge MBC. Baseline on a Mustang was 285 HP. Exhaust and tune made it put out 320 HP. After the intake/MBC and second ecu tune it read 360 hot, 355 cold.

I'm not good at reading dyno graphs (I'm learning). Seems like every dyno reads different. Are calculations in whp or crank hp (after calculating driveline loss)? This has been my biggest point of confusion. And at what point is a calibration of those factors done on a dyno?

Sorry if this is getting long.

So... my X is supposed to produce 285 hp stock. I'm considering going intake and exhaust all in one shot soon. Probably all Cobb, AMS widemouth, Access port. In Florida we have good 93 octane.

I drive daily. Do all of my own work. I had around 90k mi. on my IV MR and still on the stock clutch. It ran beautiful! Never at the track and really never launched hard. Treated it like a baby. I was sad to see it go. Totaled for what I could have comfortably repaired for 5 g's. Insurance paid me pretty good but declared it COD, so putting it back on the road was out of the question. I looked and looked all over for one like it. Closest one was one that Scott was selling but had the 6 speed swapped for a 5. I looked for one that hadn't been roached to death, but no cigar.

What would I expect on the stock turbo in same Mustang readings with a conservative or semi aggressive tune with the above mentioned mods? Of course if there's a better combination of parts, I'm all ears. Yes, I do plan on using a high flow cat too.

Basically if I get a baseline of 285 or so, I'll know that whp hasn't been factored in, right? and if the baseline is around 220 then I'll know it has? And where could I end up after a good tune?

I appreciate good replies. I dont run my cars hard all the time. But like the Bible and guns, you may never need the power...but it's damn nice to have it when you need it! The TL did it!
Sorry to hear they took your car too strip it and leave it for dead..

Im also interested.. I just bought my 2012 GSR on 01/11. I will be installing ETS IC, UICP, LICP and intake with tune. Not sure what to expect as far as WHP goes. And i thought the car came with 291hp? Am i mistaken with that number?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

the 291 number is HP to the crank or engine. Power is lost through the drivetrain going to the wheels. Depending on the dyno used, stock evos put out 230-260 hp to the wheels. intake, exhaust and a tune put the car up to 300 to the wheels or like 350 to the crank/ engine
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly every dyno and Evo will be different based on tuner, car, mods ect. If you want a idea though, search through the dyno section. I think Cobb has a big dyno database too you can look at. I have seen 320-350 on a dynojet for bolt-ons and a tune for our cars.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:39 PM

Good stuff. Thanks! BTW, I meant I had a IX MR. This X will never be the same. Even though dyno graphs sometimes show 2 sets of HP/TQ I guess the lower one is baseline? Right?

Nobody is more sorry than me for my theft. And now it seems as if everyone is a suspect. The "chip" in the key didnt keep the engine from starting after the column lock was pulled after the fuel pump was hot wired. But it did let it run long enough to drive it into the shadows before the immobilizer shut it down.

I'm a bit older than your typical evo owner, but have had a few badass Mopars in the past. Never blew one (bent a valve once). But was never afraid to open them up. The passenger seat front bolts ripped through the floor pan once and tossed my gf in the back seat! And it would launch a cassette tape that was playing in the Pioneer into the rear shelf when I slammed 2nd hard! No Lie. Haha, just ask her.

How would you all judge a tune on the MR at 360 hp? Mild? Aggressive?? Considering the bolt on's I had. I'm looking for the same gains on the X. But I want it to last with no big surprises.