Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

First oil change at dealership = conventional oil

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First oil change at dealership = conventional oil

I just hit 3k miles and got my oil changed at the dealership today. Apparently the 12-13 models are using conventional oil now, the service manager showed me a paper where it stated synthetic oil to be used for 08-11 models and conventional oil for the 12-13 models. Whats the deal with this whole change?

Last edited by WW13X; Apr 22, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can show you a paper showing that I am batman at night time.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:56 PM

Yeah you could... but I assume this dealer wouldn't show me some bs paper about it? He had to look it up in the computer before anyways..
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are not the first to have been told this. Check out this link https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-not-true.html
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

If I were you, I would go home, and drain that s*** out ASAP!!! It may be a cheaper solution, but if you have any prospects for the longevity of your engine, you better run FULLY synthetic...
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:24 PM

And what about all the other threads where people came up with the same thing, hearing that 12-13 evos use conventional oil now? I'm getting kinda concerned now that there is conventional oil in my car. How could so many dealers be misinformed, and how does the computer he looked it up from have this false information? The paper he had was a paper every dealer probably has, stating which oil to be used for which models. I am not defending the dealers whatsoever, I really don't know whether conventional oil is alright to be running in my car now?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my oil change done a month ago and I have an 12 Gsr, this what the guy at the dealer ship say, "it is going to be pricey because these cars take synthetic."
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

The dealer may be right, who knows, but honestly, I wouldn't trust them any more than an angry ex girlfriend in between the door and you, with a knife in her hand. I'm just saying that conventional oil breaks down MUCH quicker than synthetic, and the fact that you're in Florida heat, it's only going to happen that much quicker...

Again, if I were in your shoes, I would go out and buy a new oil and filter, and replace that s*** as soon as humanly possible. It's going to be more expensive yes, but what's 2k or 3k over the life of your car? Just do yourself a favor and go back to synthetic ASAP. Trust me, it'll pay off in the long run
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:42 PM

I'm pissed off that there's even a possibility that what was put into my car today by the mitsubishi dealership might decrease the longevity of my car... and it's not like this oil thing is bs its on paper... wtf is going on with mitsubishi to change it?

I just found this in another thread
"Dear STEPHAN MONETTE:

Our Reference: Service Request Number: 1-237660690
Prod Inq/Tech Specs
Date Opened : 2/18/2013 10:59:21 AM

Thank you for contacting the Mitsubishi Motors Customer Relations Call Center. Your Mitsubishi dealership is correct, in that the 2013 Lancer Evolution does not require synthetic oil. You may also review this in your Owner's Manual beginning on page 7-7. Whether you decide to use conventional or synthetic oil, it does not alter the maintenance interval indicated in the Warranty & Maintenance Manual.

Thank you again for reaching out to Mitsubishi Motors, and congratulations on your Mitsubishi vehicle!

Sincerely,

Customer Relations Department"
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Again, although it is on paper, I wouldn't even risk it brother. Just change that oil ASAP, even tomorrow if possible. Odds are no damage has been done yet, but I still wouldn't risk it anymore. Do you feel confident enough changing your own oil? It's really not that difficult. For the love of your car, just change it.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:56 PM

Yeah I'm not saying just because it's on paper means it's true, i'm just saying the fact that it IS on paper and there's still speculation about if its true or not is sketchy. Also, the 12-13s are supposedly running with the conventional oil from the factory, so that means my car has now been on conventional oil for these past 3100 miles, could damage really be done to my car? And no I'm not too confident with changing my oil I've never done it before...
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

There are plenty of how too's on how to change the oil, I just did mine today in less than 30 minutes.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by WW13X
Yeah I'm not saying just because it's on paper means it's true, i'm just saying the fact that it IS on paper and there's still speculation about if its true or not is sketchy. Also, the 12-13s are supposedly running with the conventional oil from the factory, so that means my car has now been on conventional oil for these past 3100 miles, could damage really be done to my car? And no I'm not too confident with changing my oil I've never done it before...
Your owners manual should say to use synthetic.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Are you serious? Another one of these threads?
Owner manual specifies synthetic. CLOSE THIS THREAD
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

OP please see;
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nge-evo-x.html

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4058

I would recommend NOT using castrol, preferably Mobil 1 or AMSoil, there have been proven tests that those are some of the best oils you can use. You also don't really need a drill unless the dealer over torqued the drain plug.

Quick Reply: First oil change at dealership = conventional oil