Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Magnetic drain plug

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Magnetic drain plug

So question for everyone,

After I get my evo im thinking about installing both a magnetic on my oil filter as well as a oil drain plug. But then I know the evo x engine was a composite of aluminum and steel i think, right? So with anyone running magnets, have you seen any metal particles get caught by your magnets? I was just thinking that the aluminum engine would probably not produce any shavings that would be caugt by a magnet, maybe only the oil filter. Let me know if its worth it, or if it works on these cars.

Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Mitsu already put magnetic drain plugs where they're beneficial (transmission, transfer case, & rear differential).
Old Nov 8, 2013, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Mitsu already put magnetic drain plugs where they're beneficial (transmission, transfer case, & rear differential).
Its amazing what lengths Mitsubishi made for this car above their standard offerings. I wonder if there are any procedures to investigate what happens when they discover metal on the detectors.

Magnetic chip detectors are commonplace on jet engines. Because steel is in the bearings, and is big trouble. And analysis of the type of steel is very important.

Mark
Old Nov 19, 2013, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummmm. As far as the comment about the aluminum parts... Dunno, but the engine block might be aluminum, but I'm sure the sleeves and the actual moving parts inside are not. But what do It know!? Lol