Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Whine at high RPMs after changing the power train fluids

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whine at high RPMs after changing the power train fluids

I changed the following fluids (first time doing it myself):

Transaxle: Redline cocktail mix for evo x
Transfer case: Mitsu Diaqueen gear oil
Rear diff (Front): Mitsu Diaqueen gear oil
Rear diff (rear): Diamond ATF SP3

Procedure: Remove drain plug, remove fill plug, wait until it drains, replace drain plug, fill until oil starts dripping out of fill plug.

also changed engine oil (not first time) if that matters with Mobil 5W30 and Mobil Oil filter.

In every gear there is a whine when going 3500+ RPM, louder as the RPMs increase.

I am thinking the lift I used was not leveled and might not have sufficient gear oil in the rear diff (front). I will check the levels today again on a different lift.

Anyone have any suggestions or things I should check when I have it up on the lift today?

Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:06 PM

Forgot to put vehicle info:

2008 Evo X GSR
105XXX miles
ACT HDSS clutch about 30k miles ago
Old Jan 27, 2014, 07:11 PM

i can tell you your whine sounds like the engine as mine does the same thing with 400 miles on it and ive read that its the oil pump, plus if it was the diff it would whine at speed not rpm. one thing of note that ive been reading about is that to fill the diff properly you need to fill it twice, the initial fill then drive it around for a bit then refill it again because the fluid will drain down some
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by blackedv
i can tell you your whine sounds like the engine as mine does the same thing with 400 miles on it and ive read that its the oil pump, plus if it was the diff it would whine at speed not rpm. one thing of note that ive been reading about is that to fill the diff properly you need to fill it twice, the initial fill then drive it around for a bit then refill it again because the fluid will drain down some
Thanks for the feedback, I did notice that I had to put quite a bit of gear oil last night into the transfer case and rear diff after driving it a few miles after the initial drain and fill. The whine did get significantly quieter but I can still hear it. I also checked the transaxle fluid, it was at the right level. The rear diff ATF fluid was also at the correct level.

This morning when I drove a few more miles, the ASC service required (car with the squiggle lines) light came on the display and the "ASC OFF" light is also on. A few minutes after the service required light with the picture of the drivetrain and the front wheels turned to one side also came on.

Not sure what else to check, any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.