Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Won't start/stay running!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Won't start/stay running!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Background: About 8 months ago I had to replace the radiator in my 2008 Evo X (Manual). Since then, the car has been sitting in my garage on the lift. While waiting to save a little money and then wait to have someone make a custom radiator I decided to change out my fuel pump to a Whalbro 255. Well to my disappointment the pump didn't fit so I put the stock one back in. I finally got the radiator a few days ago and put it in right away. I had the battery disconnected the whole time so to not wear it down.

Problems: Now that I go to start it, the engine only turns and almost acts like it's going to start. I thought it might have been the way I put the fuel pump back in so I took it back out, tested it to make sure it spun, and put it back in. I went to start it again and it still wants to act like it's going to start. I get it to actually start every few turns but it revs to about 1900 rpm and then just dies out. If I try and press on the gas while it idles for those few seconds it dies automatically. I pulled out the spark plugs to be sure they were ok and they were fouled out by having too much fuel. I took my old plugs and tried to start it but got the same problem still. I went a little further and checked to make sure I had power going into the DI coil packs. I do have power but unsure if I am getting the spark into the spark plugs.

Additional: I find it weird that all I did was replace the fuel pump and radiator, nothing else, and I can't get this car to start!

Questions:
What I the holy hell could be wrong that it would not allow the car to start?
Where should I start looking in order to fix this problem?

Again....thank you for the time in reading this and appreciate any help that can be offered!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it does start but doesn't rev? You have a fuel issue.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:32 PM

yes, it has a hard time starting but will start and rev to about 1800-2000rpm. It will stay for about 4 seconds and then slowly go back down to 0 rpm and then dies. If I press on the accelerator at any time during those 5 seconds it is revving it dies instantly.

I am getting fuel into the chamber this I know for sure. I cracked the line right before the fuel rail and right after and had fuel leak out of both parts. If it is a fuel problem what could it be?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:36 PM

Yup fueling issue... or rather more likely fuel quality issue, check the fuel filter as well. Had this issue with other cars that had been sitting idle for extended periods of time. The fuel quality here in NZ is not the best and fuels tend to break down after 6-9 months in a fuel tank, most of the time, draining the fuel tank, replacing the fuel filter and re-priming the the system before ignition seemed to resolve this.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:54 PM

since I was changing out the fuel pump I didn't leave very much fuel in there. and I put a stabilizer in there just in case. Only thing that leave then is the fuel filter. so I guess I will replace that and hopefully that does the trick!

Thank you for the help! it is much appreciated!