Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New 08' MR Owner, Couple of Issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 08' MR Owner, Couple of Issues

Hey everyone. I just bought a 2008 Evo X MR with 67k miles and though it drives fine 90% of the time, there are a couple problems that the engine seems to be having (but it could be attributed to something else too, I don't know much about cars). The car is stock as far as I know. I plan to take it in to a local Evo shop to get it looked at in the next couple weeks, just hoping I can get an idea of how serious things could be, or how much a repair would typically cost. Here are the issues, and thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

1: Occasionally when I first accelerate after coming to a full stop, the engine stutters/jerks for a second or two. It almost feels like the wheels are losing grip, but I know that's not the case. This is the only time this happens, and I haven't noticed any patterns on when it occurs.

2: When accelerating to 4k RPM's and beyond (probably when the turbo kicks in) the Check Engine light flashes until I let off the gas completely, then it goes away. Sometimes the car jerks slightly after I let off the gas as well, but since this is the first Evo I've driven, I don't know if it's something that's supposed to happen. As far as I noticed, this applies to all gears (though it's obviously more common for it to happen in the lower ones). It doesn't happen every time I go in to the 4k+ range, but it does 80-90% of the time.

Last edited by iMalice303; Mar 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

welcome. i too own a 08 gsr and i currently have 114k miles. original drivetrain and original clutch. if the previous owner took care of the car, it'll last you another 60k with no issues.

be sure your pulleys are upgraded to the metal hyundai pulleys. the oem ones are made of plastic and they will wear out unevenly, eventually causing your belt to come off or snap off (happened to me around 67k).

1.) this is normal. it happens to my car too. the stutter is from the actuator.

2.) the check engine light flashes? never seen that happen. it's either on or off on mine. do you have any codes? you might want to do this before doing any more wot.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The cel could be part of a tune for knock detection. When you get in it in 4th are you doing it under load? I know if you tune it on tephra a tuner can put the cel to flash for knock count.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the cel can also be an overboost code. We had an overboost code at partial throttle that would flash depending on how hard I was on it.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my cel flash when I reach more then 3 counts of knock so maybe that's how the old owner had it setup. Very common practice for tuning.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you bought a RTS car "Return To Stock" however they left you the tune. You should take it to a quality tuner ASAP and avoid any hard driving in the mean time. I'd hate to see another one of those "I had my Evo 3 weeks and the engine blew" threads.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thegoodservant
sounds like you bought a rts car "return to stock" however they left you the tune. You should take it to a quality tuner asap and avoid any hard driving in the mean time. I'd hate to see another one of those "i had my evo 3 weeks and the engine blew" threads.
+100005356562