Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Stock wheel corrosion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock wheel corrosion

I have a 2011 Evo X GSR. I just noticed the inside of 3 of the wheel's paint is flaking. I called a dealership close to me and they said the wheels are not covered under the corrosion warranty.

I've disregarded my warranty from day one on this car given that Mitsubishi generally gives customers a hard time when it comes to powertrain claims and claims in general. The car is even still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty (3 year/36,000 miles).

Is it true that the wheels are not covered under warranty? I will definitely pursue looking into this if their statement is misinformation.

Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is the corrosion you are talking about from brake dust being left in the crevices for too long?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nvmaddog
Is the corrosion you are talking about from brake dust being left in the crevices for too long?
They are flaking inside the wheel well.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that doesn't make sense. the wheel well is the hole where your wheel and strut and plastic liner sit. Please be more specific/show pics. or just go get em PC'd. Stock rims are ugly anyways with a +38 offset.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mar387
... The car is even still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty (3 year/36,000 miles).

Is it true that the wheels are not covered under warranty? I will definitely pursue looking into this if their statement is misinformation.
Thanks.
YMMW Boss has a SRT8 300 with those smoke chrome plated wheels. Started flaking the plating - Chrysler put a brand new set of rims on his car ($4600 fyi) and gave him 1/2 off new tires.

YMMV Other co worker has Infinity QX and the paint started falling off the roof. Contaminants under paint was the ruling - repainting his entire roof.

Seeing as you are under the 36K bumper to bumper you should have a case if in fact your wheels are flaking off paint under no outside influences. Corrosive cleaners, curbing or rubbing and chipping near the area in question.

Even a small rock chip can be the "catalyst" for paint issues nearby.

Good luck and please post pics.

Last edited by Mani8448; Jun 30, 2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mani8448
YMMW Boss has a SRT8 300 with those smoke chrome plated wheels. Started flaking the plating - Chrysler put a brand new set of rims on his car ($4600 fyi) and gave him 1/2 off new tires.

YMMV Other co worker has Infinity QX and the paint started falling off the roof. Contaminants under paint was the ruling - repainting his entire roof.

Seeing as you are under the 36K bumper to bumper you should have a case if in fact your wheels are flaking off paint under no outside influences. Corrosive cleaners, curbing or rubbing and chipping near the area in question.

Even a small rock chip can be the "catalyst" for paint issues nearby.

Good luck and please post pics.

This is good advice, my Srt8 Jeep wheels did the same thing on the front two and they were replaced under warranty with brand new tires as well. If it really is flaking, they will have a hard time turning it down.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 01:39 PM

Think the wheels would be covered, I have replaced the brembos when they started fading under warrenty.