Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rattle noise Evo X MR SST

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle noise Evo X MR SST

Hi All,

I have a rattling noise that sounds similar to a loose bolt or something.It's not the sst clutch rattle or a dash rattle(both of which i'm faimilar with having owned a ralliart for 3 years previous).

When driving It is more consistent/louder when the steering wheel is turned to the right and pretty much disappears when turned to the left. Don't know if it's a heat sheild or or i've also heard of flywheel hub having the noise or possibly the steering wheel heat sheild? At idle/parked it happens in neutral or in gear and a rev makes it very audible. When driving if i place it into neutral it doesnt make a noise but in gear it does.

I have a video and it's not the best audio quality it doesnt sound the same as in person but you definately can hear a solid noise. It's still a stock exhaust system as well.

Car has 10,000kms(7 months old) and has had this noise consistently since about 3,000kms it's just gotten worse. It generally doesn't make the noise when completely cold but if you go for a 20 minute drive and park it for 10 minutes, it will then be noisy after that.

Cheers
Old Sep 14, 2014, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

It could be the cat or the exhaust heat shield.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:25 AM
Evolving Member

That is not right. Something became loose.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:59 AM

go back and double check the parts you've installed to see if there is any loose bolts or so
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:51 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
if something only rattles when it's hot, then it is exhaust related. Soundes like a head shield to me.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

I've triple checked and had someone check over the intake whilst i revved to reproduce the noise and its beyond the intake. It also makes a solid noise when reversing if i lock the wheel to the left(out of a park) from the left hand side.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
i believe you've been told several times on two forums to check your exhaust heat shields.

or don't.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:06 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by parralegend
I've triple checked and had someone check over the intake whilst i revved to reproduce the noise and its beyond the intake. It also makes a solid noise when reversing if i lock the wheel to the left(out of a park) from the left hand side.
why do you keep looking at the intake when the exhaust is rattling.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vitamin4b11t
go back and double check the parts you've installed to see if there is any loose bolts or so

Jesus christ don't you guys read? I answered his question about checking over the parts I installed!!! I wasn't being ignorant.

I'm getting it up on the hoist today to check and it's going to mitsu tomorrow for a complete look over to make sure it's not a torque damper failing beyond a possible likely heat sheild being loose.

I do appreciate you other responses though, I post across two forums because some people only answer on one.

Last edited by parralegend; Sep 16, 2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm getting it up on the hoist today to check and it's going to mitsu tomorrow for a complete look over to make sure it's not a torque damper failing beyond a possible likely heat sheild being loose.

jack up the passenger side a bit, lay on you side, and you can feel the exhaust/heat shield. i found the rattling offender, put on the clamps, and was done in about 15 minutes.

if you're under warranty, and have more time to spare, take it to the dealer i guess.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so update. Split engine mount, still trying to identify the rattle noise though but a few clips were missing. Trying to gather some more info but thank god its been replaced
Old Oct 6, 2014, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so after getting the mechanics stethoscope I finally could trace back the noise from the turbo right to the bov and it turns out my bump stop tape job on the bov was not stopping it from hitting the strut bar. I put the stock bov back on and all was working fine but I'm doing a 24 hour test to ensure it doesn't come back again but so far so good. For reference it was a dual port turbosmart bov.

Sorry for wasting everyones time, feel like a absolute goose.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 08:43 AM

Ok so after getting the mechanics stethoscope I finally could trace back the noise from the turbo right to the bov and it turns out my bump stop tape job on the bov was not stopping it from hitting the strut bar. I put the stock bov back on and all was working fine but I'm doing a 24 hour test to ensure it doesn't come back again but so far so good. For reference it was a dual port turbosmart bov.

Sorry for wasting everyones time, feel like a absolute goose.
i forgot where i read something but they said u had to mount that BOV a diff way so it wouldn't hit.. have you tried maybe moving/facing it a diff way ?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

I will see if I can move the bov closer to the ralliarts mounting position so clearance will never be a issue again. 48 hours later and no rattle the stethoscope is awesome.

Now all I need to do is fix the damn prosport gauges in the car and im all set for a #beeble toon
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So it's the bov?

Last edited by LB_Reddy; Oct 9, 2014 at 01:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Rattle noise Evo X MR SST