Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Tpms warning with new rims

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tpms warning with new rims

Recently picked up a winter set of rims and tires and had them mounted over at my local American Tire shop. They put sensors in each of the tires as well. I didnt get the TPMS service required warning on my HUD until I had driven about 10 miles on the new tires and rims. Checked the pressures on all the tires and even had American Tire verify in front of me that all the sensors were reporting and even had them reset each of the sensors.

The mitsu owners manual said that you can get the TPMS warning if you dont have "genuine mitsubishi" wheels/rims. WTH, does that mean I'm going to get that warning everytime I drive until I put my summer/stock rims back on?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:26 PM

Pretty much unless you get the code from you originals duplicated and placed on the new set of sensors
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will throw tps code if sensors not mount back on same rims.I guess Mits had it program that way.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aftermarket TPMS will throw the code. OEM TPMS works fine on RPF1s, no light at all.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akride907
Recently picked up a winter set of rims and tires and had them mounted over at my local American Tire shop. They put sensors in each of the tires as well. I didnt get the TPMS service required warning on my HUD until I had driven about 10 miles on the new tires and rims. Checked the pressures on all the tires and even had American Tire verify in front of me that all the sensors were reporting and even had them reset each of the sensors.

The mitsu owners manual said that you can get the TPMS warning if you dont have "genuine mitsubishi" wheels/rims. WTH, does that mean I'm going to get that warning everytime I drive until I put my summer/stock rims back on?
The car can only be coded to one set of TPMS sensors at any given time. If you install new sensors on the new set of wheels, you will need to have those reprogrammed. However, this means you either live with the light until you put your originals back or you have to car reprogrammed for TMPS each time you change wheels.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:11 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

OEM sensors from your original wheels will work.
Any other set of sensors (Mitsu or other) will require programming of the car at the dealer to accept the new TPMS sensors -- and then reprogramming again when you switch back.

The other option is to get sensors programmed with the codes from your summer rims.
Check the vendor classifieds.

No affiliation, but these are the ones I was thinking of getting, should I opt for a second set of rims:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...your-dash.html

The only thing that worries me is that I store my off-season tires directly in front of the car, in my current garage.
I suspect the car might get really confused if there are *two* sets of wheels in range when I start it.

(rant)
TPMS: The Fed's response to the tire issues on Ford Explorers -- by penalizing everyone for the dweebs who don't check their pressures.
So, having shelled out for precision tire gauges for each car, now we get to spend more on "bureaucrat engineering". Gah!
("Failure is not an option": it's the bureaucratic standard.)
(/rant)

Last edited by DGS; Oct 20, 2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 24boosted
Aftermarket TPMS will throw the code. OEM TPMS works fine on RPF1s, no light at all.

Check your PM.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I use a set of TPMS I got from N.G.S. on my summer aftermarket wheels. My OEM TPMS are on my winter set of OEM Enkeis.

I'd highly recommend getting a set from him. It was quick, I had my codes read and had new sensors in a few days. No issues at all, and I don't have to go to the dealer to reprogram sensors every season
Old Jul 15, 2015, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shekaar
I use a set of TPMS I got from N.G.S. on my summer aftermarket wheels. My OEM TPMS are on my winter set of OEM Enkeis.

I'd highly recommend getting a set from him. It was quick, I had my codes read and had new sensors in a few days. No issues at all, and I don't have to go to the dealer to reprogram sensors every season
+1 for N.G.S. You'll be able to switch back and forth while maintaining the security of the TPMS. A cheaper solution is obviously to just get someone to disable the TPMS light for you
Old Jul 16, 2015, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by LB_Reddy
It will throw tps code if sensors not mount back on same rims.I guess Mits had it program that way.
I have the factory TPMS on my Rays and they never threw a code.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:26 PM

i got 8 wheels total: 4 BBS oem with tpms/ 4 Enkei w/winter tires and tpms. I have to go to dealer every season to reprogram wheel sets.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharpy
i got 8 wheels total: 4 BBS oem with tpms/ 4 Enkei w/winter tires and tpms. I have to go to dealer every season to reprogram wheel sets.
That. Sounds. TERRIBLE.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I have aftermarket wheels and have no TPMS. Light is always on and I could care less. I check my pressure often. If my IX can live without TPMS, then so can my X