Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Diagnosis fee for vehicle under warranty???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnosis fee for vehicle under warranty???

I just took my car in because it started making some noise (there's another thread about it on here that I made). The manager comes back with a piece of paper for me to sign that says $99.50 fee to diagnose that will be waived *IF* they find anything?

Is this normal? I figured it was better to preemt any potential problems but it seems this being the case, my warranty is less valuable than I thought and I should just wait until something breaks.

Would contacting must do any good?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Diagnostic fee is normal, waived if the problem is warranty related. Really, they're just covering themselves in case the issue is not under warranty and you decide to take the car elsewhere after they spend their time diagnosing it.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:54 PM

But, in the case where they come back and say "it's normal, that will be $100" it seems silly. I would have much preferred to show the tech directly the sound I'm talking about with him in the car, but they seem intent on not doing that or hearing my concerns, either.

I feel this could have been simple and just want assurance, which shouldn't cost me jack to have a certified tech to tell me everything is fine with my car that I'm paranoid about (white under warranty).

As said, would it be better to just wait until something actually breaks before taking it in in the future? This is why I hate dealerships and do my own work. I don't trust them or the techs to make a mistake and amit it or do what's in my best interest as their customer :/

Sorry, just annoyed and feel like now any time I want my car to have something done or checked on while I have this warranty is going to be a pain in the ***.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

I totally understand the frustration!

I had a CEL issue for my front O2 sensor last winter. I would reset the CEL with my AP usually, but it kept happening on cold starts. Took it to the dealer, the CEL wasn't on, so they wanted the diagnostic fee just to look as well. Ended up calling my performance shop and troubleshooting with them instead.

Dealerships are a pain, and honestly, I'd venture to say most of the techs that work at them don't know anything about Evo's and their noises. Thes ones at my dealership don't, anyway. Still sucks to pay for the tech's time if it turns out to be nothing anyway.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No that is certainly NOT normal.

Warranty is there for a reason and you should not be charged for a diagnostic.

I've owned 15+ cars under warranty and never once have I ever been charged to have a look at a concern of mine. Even if it turns out to be nothing, you pay for a new car and have a warranty for a reason.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by nvmaddog

I've owned 15+ cars under warranty and never once have I ever been charged to have a look at a concern of mine. Even if it turns out to be nothing, you pay for a new car and have a warranty for a reason.
Though this is the first new car I've owned, this is the experience I remember from when my parents would take care in when I was young, which is why I questioned it.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting. On all of my cars with factory warranty (3), I have been charged diagnostic fee which is waived. That's been in Maryland and Arizona. Of course, that diagnostic fee has only been charged when they have kept my car for more than popping the hood or reading a code.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shekaar
Interesting. On all of my cars with factory warranty (3), I have been charged diagnostic fee which is waived. That's been in Maryland and Arizona. Of course, that diagnostic fee has only been charged when they have kept my car for more than popping the hood or reading a code.

To touch on your point about dealers not making anything for diagnosing your vehicle under warranty, that is untrue.

Dealers get manufacturer money even if your issue is not found/serviceable. (it's not big money, but money all the same) Dealers want you to bring them your car under warranty no matter what, there is significant money to be made if they find an issue.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yea ive never been charged any fee when ive taken the evo in because of some wierd noises or because it was doing something wierd. That being said if there is a noise that is out of place they have been glad to explain that to me with no charge or to look at it for free anyways. So i cant complain much.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not saying it is right, but hell, Google "diagnostic fee for warranty work." It turns up oodles of people saying the same exact thing. It is not uncommon, it just depends on the dealership...as everything usually does.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

To touch on your point about dealers not making anything for diagnosing your vehicle under warranty, that is untrue.

Dealers get manufacturer money even if your issue is not found/serviceable. (it's not big money, but money all the same) Dealers want you to bring them your car under warranty no matter what, there is significant money to be made if they find an issue.
I didn't say they don't make any money. I said the tech needs to be compensated for their time. If a diagnosis takes the tech 4 hours of pulling stuff apart, then a 100$ fee is more than reasonable, especially if the issue isn't covered under warranty and the person decides they don't want the work done.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:49 PM

Just finished up. Noise was deemed normal after comparing to new car with 8 miles on it making the same noise but LOUDER than my car, which I had the pleasure to witness. Service manager was happy to oblige my concern and laughed when I said "so, $100?"

"Not for listening to a noise and putting the car on a lift for 5 minutes, no".

I'll chalk this up to just checking boxes for audit protection on their part, since it turned out right in the end. Local dealership +5 points.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cosmic Starship
Just finished up. Noise was deemed normal after comparing to new car with 8 miles on it making the same noise but LOUDER than my car, which I had the pleasure to witness. Service manager was happy to oblige my concern and laughed when I said "so, $100?"

"Not for listening to a noise and putting the car on a lift for 5 minutes, no".

I'll chalk this up to just checking boxes for audit protection on their part, since it turned out right in the end. Local dealership +5 points.
Glad it worked out and they did right by you
Old Jan 26, 2015, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey there ya go worried for nothing glad it worked out. Yea i was paranoid about some noises my car was making because of all the things on here saying to be on the lookout for lol
Old Jan 26, 2015, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shekaar
I didn't say they don't make any money. I said the tech needs to be compensated for their time. If a diagnosis takes the tech 4 hours of pulling stuff apart, then a 100$ fee is more than reasonable, especially if the issue isn't covered under warranty and the person decides they don't want the work done.

If they do 4 hours of work, they get paid for those four hours of diagnostics. The techs are compensated the same as well.

No one should be paying a diagnostic fee when they have a warranty.

Now if you are talking about damage and abuse then that is a different subject.

Glad it worked out.

Quick Reply: Diagnosis fee for vehicle under warranty???