Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Stalling & Stuttering

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling & Stuttering

A couple weeks ago I had the evo out for a little autocross/car control school action. The car did very well for most of the event. But I did have an issue on the skid pad. I had the stability control disabled as far off as it will go.

After a few circles going counter clockwise, I lost power. The car didn't stall but putting the pedal to the floor didn't do anything but lurch a few times. It would come back and stuter for a little bit. I think it took a full minute before it gave me power back. There were no codes and no warning lights while it was doing this.

When I did the skid pad clockwise, I had no issues. But I did it again counter clockwise and I again had the same stuttering issues. I had half a tank of fuel at the time so I wasn't thinking fuel starvation but... maybe? Switching ASM modes did nothing to prevent the issue. It felt kind of like limp mode, but with no codes I'm not sure it was.

The second issue I had was up at NHMS for a drivers ed event. It was a fairly cool April day and on my third session on the second day, I accidentally hit the rev limiter on the long straight away. When I got it in to 5th gear, I put the foot back down and it wouldn't rev over 4000 without stuttering and spitting and complaining. It continued to do that for the rest of the session but only on that long straight and only in 5th gear. I was WOT on other parts of the track and it didn't give me any issues.

The fourth run of the day I put some virgin unicorn blood (race fuel) in the tank because I wasn't sure it was knocking or what all that was. But the problem had vanished. It's run fine ever since (no bent valves or anything). It never coded.

Any ideas on why either problem happened and what I can do about it? This is a mildly tuned (310 at wheels) 2014 GSR.
Old May 6, 2015, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regarding the stuttering going counterclockwise, it sounds like fuel starvation which is a known problem with the X and hard left-hand turns. I'm not really sure about your other issues though.
Old May 6, 2015, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have never tracked my car,but I've read about this issue when your tank is like half or only a qtr full.You could do a search on this subject.
Old May 6, 2015, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I did a search and it really does seem to be a fuel starvation issue. Could even be the cause of the stuttering on the straight which is right after a hard left hander. Guess I need to run with more fuel and maybe get some sort of surge tank.