Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo x new owner questions

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo x new owner questions

Hello,

i live in usa nj I just bought used evo x 2014 ssl ww gsr with 17500 miles from a dealer and he extended the warranty for me to 5 years 100K miles. no mods at all the car had exhaust kit and the first owner took it off and putted back the oem one , i have 2 problems

first:

when the car on natural the rpm goes up and down 900-700 its makes me feel that the car wants to turn off it self and its vibrate, its vibrate a little bit for 4 seconds then its doing that again after 20 seconds while im using premium gas only from mobile 1 .

second:
today when i got the car out of the garage my house on hill so basically i was doing something so i put the car on natural and i pulled the hand break i heard sound like ticktock for once no idea what is that so i was like ok maybe cuz i was parking on the hill and the car face was towards down, then i figured that when im in traffic light i put it on the 1st gear when i was taking off my leg from the clutch without press on gas i hear this sound again coming from the gearbox, moreover the car runs great and smooth.

i hope that you can help me guys im worried that it can be something big.

FYI: im living away from iveytune by 20 miles. any other good tuner for gsr evos or ? also bell Mitsubishi rahway which is close to me told me the mods wont avoid the warranty as ECU tune or exhaust etc.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by androw3349; May 15, 2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old May 15, 2015, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The cars seem to have a bouncy idle stock. Get a Blackstone oil test then decide how you want to mod it. You will know how strong she is.
Old May 15, 2015, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to double check. You don't have an after market air filter right? But yeah I agree even with stock the idle can be bouncy. No idea on the click noise.
Old May 15, 2015, 07:03 PM

Thanks guys for the answers, yes im sure the car have nothing after market at all the only thing that is after market is the gasket of the exhust and its make a lilltle noise on the 3rd gear because there is a gap, thats what is the bell mitsubishi tech guy told me after he drove the car 2nd when they was checking the car for me he told me that. he is friendly guy which owns 3 evos lol, any ideas about the gear sound there is no problem at all while driving the car only when i left the clutch before the car goes to turn off i hear it

Last edited by androw3349; May 16, 2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old May 16, 2015, 03:58 AM

Ok BlueBlurSTI is right the car have bouncy idle problem, i had checked the vacuum line (Fuel Pressure regulator to the intake manifold) and i found it in the right place, it might be the air filter ? i took it out and i found it dirty, any other common things can be related to the problem ? boost leak, FPR ?

Last edited by androw3349; May 16, 2015 at 04:43 AM.
Old May 16, 2015, 01:09 PM

i just bought oem airfilter from the dealer and the rpm still going up and down 900-700 any idea ? I also registered for service check about the gearbox click when im shifting hope they figure out these 2 issuses
Old May 16, 2015, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
EVO's are loud cars. They have a lot of strange noises, that other cars may sound abnormal on. I wouldn't take the dealerships word for it that it wasn't tuned or have any aftermarket parts. If they are 1000000% sure it has no parts on it, then I'd get them to flash the stock tune onto it. It almost sounds like you have an aftermarket tune on the car, and the guy took off the parts before he traded it in but left the tune.

If you intend to modify it a bit, take it to a good place up there that specializes in tuning EVO's and get it sorted there.

Good luck.

I had a 2014 GSR and now a 2014 MR, I didn't ever remember any bouncing idle for the GSR and it doesn't do that in my MR.
Old May 16, 2015, 04:31 PM

Thanks guys i just met 2 guys with 2014 gsr and i tested their cars its have no idle bouncy problem in the rpm also one of them have the same clack sound in shifting and one not im not sure what is going on, thanks alot Napalm i think this is the problem too i will ask the dealer to flash the stock ecu firmware monday it might be the problem for sure i will write feedback here on monday, any one have clacking sound in shifting sometimes cuz i found another gsr 2014 evo have it with 12000 miles on it?

Last edited by androw3349; May 16, 2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old May 16, 2015, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

To be honest, it seems like you don't know anything about evos. I dont mean in that in a dick-head way either. These arent cars to buy if you have no idea about them. I bought my last VIII after years of research and still, as you can see by searching my older threads, was a complete newbie and learned as I went. I Now drive a brand new evo X and if I could do it all over again I would not have bought my previous car which was modded.

Not because it gave me issues, but because there was no way I knew how it was treated etc etc. I have a friend who bought a WRX hatchback with 110,000 miles and when I asked him what was done to it, he literally responded "I dont know bro". Terrible choice on his part. Ive been the one to help with with every single problem hes had with that car in only 1 year of ownership(lots of problems).

Its not a good idea to get into cars like this without knowing them pretty well, and if I was you I would be looking at new or very lightly used stock cars ONLY. I like knowing Im the first to tinker with my new car and will know everything that gets done to it. Buying used, especially without the knowledge, can be a bad experience.

Also, If you arent atleast somewhat mechanically inclined, I would leave it completely stock as cost of modifying + labor will be insane for you. Good luck. I see you mentioned IVEY TUNE. There name gets brought up quite often, I assume theyre a reputable shop, have them inspect the car for you.

Last edited by Viegasjuice; May 16, 2015 at 07:22 PM.