Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X MR won't start (but will crank)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Evo X MR won't start (but will crank)

I got in my 2013 Evo X MR today and tried to start it up. It ran with a rough idle for maybe a second or two but then died. After this, I have been unable to get it to start again.

I smell gas, so I'm pretty sure it's injecting fuel (but don't know if it's the right mixture). I have 32,XXX miles on it and it was running fine last night, so I think the compression is good.

The check engine light remains on when I just leave the ignition on - does this always happen or does this mean I have a CEL code?

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this? Should I try to fix it or should I just have it towed to the nearest dealer?

Thanks for the help!

--------SOLUTION-----------------------------
When I called the dealer, they said I could trying pinning the gas peddle to the floor and cranking it. The peddle has to be all the way down which apparently tells the ECU to shutoff fuel and allowed the car to start (at which point you let off on the peddle)

Last edited by TurboTJ; Jun 15, 2015 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Added solution for future readers
Old Jun 10, 2015, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
You could try replacing the fuel relay. Do a search it's a fairly common component.

If you do tow it, FLATBED TOWTRUCK ONLY.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you are near the end of your bumper to bumper I would have them take it in. Have them look everything over well, check for oil leaks etc.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check the vacuum line for fpr
Old Jun 11, 2015, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Flooded. The last time you started it, did you let it warm up? Or just start it to move it then shut off right away? This has happened to me around 4 times. Worst case, pull plugs, take lighter to them to burn excess fuel. When car is first started, it dumps fuel to keep cold engine running properly. If you don't let it warm up, this can happen. CEL will be on when the ignition is on, but car not running, does not always mean there is a code.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Also, try holding the throttle all the way open (WOT) while cranking. This is supposedly going to drain cylinders of fuel.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by zebra4
Also, try holding the throttle all the way open (WOT) while cranking. This is supposedly going to drain cylinders of fuel.
Thanks! This is what worked!

I called the dealer the day this happened and they told me the same thing. I went home and tried cranking the car again (10 hours after it didn't start the first time) and it still didn't start. I pinned the throttle to the ground which apparently tells the ECU to shutoff fuel and the car sputtered to life.

The dealer blamed the issue on water in the gas and it being flooded, but I'm still not sure. I would think that the car sitting there for 10 hours would cause any gas to evaporate, but who knows.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 03:50 PM

Sorry for reviving a old thread but is this a real thing? I started my car yesterday to move it in my drive way for just a second. Next morning it wouldn't start at all. Checked all relays and fuses. Can't hear the pump but definitely smell gas after cranking. I have a 2010 RA if that makes a difference but I suspect it does not.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 08:22 PM

Had same problem before and solve it with same way. Just don’t know why it happened. Some one knows?