Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Cobb EBCS w/o a Tune

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cobb EBCS w/o a Tune

Would definitely appreciate an opinions on the situation.

About a month ago I purchased a 2013 Evolution X MR from Carmax. From a quick look it was bone stock. Now I know it's my fault for the oversight but after taking a deeper inspection under the hood trying to get a glance at where I was going to run my line for my Boost gauge, I noticed that there was already an aftermarket piece in the car.

The piece was a Cobb 3 Port EBCS. From a bit of research on these forums, things like a catback exhaust is one of the few things power wise that can be installed without a tune. I don't know about an EBCS, though, I mean I guess if it's configured with stock settings then no harm, but what would be the point of having it in there in the first place. I mean I guess I would hope that the person who had it before would've did that, but then again maybe he would've put the stock one back in? Or he lost the stock one and set it back. (If it even works like that, once again I'm pretty new to this). Regardless though I'm not the type to assume. When I first saw it in there, I ordered my tactrix cable, and it should be in today, cause I wanted to see what ROM this Evo is evening running since for all I know if a Cobb piece is in there, there could have been a a Stage X kit with an AP involved.

Other than checking the rom is there anything else I could possibly check. Once again bone stock asides from the newly discovered Cobb EBCS.

TLDR: Is running a Cobb 3Port EBCS with no tune messing up my Evo?

PS: I did call CarMax and confirm that my warranty would still be good, but I don't want to be making my Evo worse everytime I drive it.
PSS: I also scheduled for a Compression/Leak test with my local dealership but that won't be for 20 more days since they're so back up.

I sent an email to Cobb directly on Friday with no response, forgivable though since it was a holiday weekend ;x
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Gh3ttoRoM3o
Would definitely appreciate an opinions on the situation.

About a month ago I purchased a 2013 Evolution X MR from Carmax. From a quick look it was bone stock. Now I know it's my fault for the oversight but after taking a deeper inspection under the hood trying to get a glance at where I was going to run my line for my Boost gauge, I noticed that there was already an aftermarket piece in the car.

The piece was a Cobb 3 Port EBCS. From a bit of research on these forums, things like a catback exhaust is one of the few things power wise that can be installed without a tune. I don't know about an EBCS, though, I mean I guess if it's configured with stock settings then no harm, but what would be the point of having it in there in the first place. I mean I guess I would hope that the person who had it before would've did that, but then again maybe he would've put the stock one back in? Or he lost the stock one and set it back. (If it even works like that, once again I'm pretty new to this). Regardless though I'm not the type to assume. When I first saw it in there, I ordered my tactrix cable, and it should be in today, cause I wanted to see what ROM this Evo is evening running since for all I know if a Cobb piece is in there, there could have been a a Stage X kit with an AP involved.

Other than checking the rom is there anything else I could possibly check. Once again bone stock asides from the newly discovered Cobb EBCS.

TLDR: Is running a Cobb 3Port EBCS with no tune messing up my Evo?

PS: I did call CarMax and confirm that my warranty would still be good, but I don't want to be making my Evo worse everytime I drive it.
PSS: I also scheduled for a Compression/Leak test with my local dealership but that won't be for 20 more days since they're so back up.

I sent an email to Cobb directly on Friday with no response, forgivable though since it was a holiday weekend ;x
Running a 3 port without a tune will cause over boosting. This can be very harmful to your motor. Get a tune asap
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I was just about to confirm the same i would stay out of boost until you get it checked out.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See if you can switch maps via the cruise control button. If it switches maps the intercooler spray light will flash. If it does switch make sure to switch the map back because it is probably tunned for the ebc. Definitely get a tune though and stay out of boost.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by WWGSR
See if you can switch maps via the cruise control button. If it switches maps the intercooler spray light will flash. If it does switch make sure to switch the map back because it is probably tunned for the ebc. Definitely get a tune though and stay out of boost.
Pretty sure the USDM Evo X didn't come with the intercooler water spray
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

It doesnt but it still has the little light for it thought
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately I won't be able to afford a tune until next month. As mentioned in my previous post my Tactrix cable came in today and I hooked it up.

Upon reading the existing rom on it I noticed in the notes it said: GoldenEvo, I had no idea what that was so visited it and it looks like a site offering a bunch of roms. I mean hands down this already voided the warranty with that, so I'm assuming I'd be able to contact CarMax back and be like hey this **** isn't even stock as you guys advertised, and see if they can take care of the fixes.

Edit: Pressing the Cruise Control On/Off Button only toggles it. Holding it down for the 3-5s doesn't lightup anything.
Attached Thumbnails Cobb EBCS w/o a Tune-ecuflash.png  

Last edited by Gh3ttoRoM3o; Jul 7, 2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Added Response in regards to cruise control.
The following users liked this post:
pledgekincaid (Nov 2, 2019)
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

While yes the warranty is void i mean how much of the 3/36 was actually left on it ne ways? I mean its not really that big of a deal. I would just run a couple data logs and check where the air/fuel is and boost and just make sure your fine and if it checks out all is good.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WWGSR
That's only if that car was tuned with Tephra V2. Standard OpenSource and AccessPort don't have these capabilities. So asking him to "switch" a map is like telling someone to light a firework using their face.

Anyway, I would seriously stay out of boost until you get a tune on the vehicle. Tuning for an EBCS is kind of wasteful, so I would suggest having a few more parts on when you tune.. otherwise I'm sure you can find a stock solenoid for cheap on the forums.

Best of luck with whatever you do!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

^ This.

In mean time, try resetting the ECU, and picking up a stock EBCS (along with new hoses)? If it was tuned with a Cobb AP (assuming so, with the Cobb EBCS), then the AP was likely unmarried by the previous owner. thus wiping out any tune.

Oh and yeah, didn't some dude actually try to light a firework motor off his head and failed big time?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Since your car is an MR get it tuned properly by a great place that can tune MR's. If you don't have one locally, Kozmic Motorsports are great with the MR and can etune I believe.

And before you say you don't have money for a tune right now, I can guarantee you don't have 8k for an engine replacement.

Get it tuned, even if you have to toss it on credit, so you don't harm your car. Why risk it?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin
Oh and yeah, didn't some dude actually try to light a firework motor off his head and failed big time?
Yeah, I believe it was some guy in Maine that tried to light a firework mortar shell on his head.

Needless to said he no longer has a head.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

It was simply one option to see if he had some sort of altered rom/tune. And accessport does have the map switching with the cruise control button, i have done it on mine. Just trying to help a new member.

Last edited by WWGSR; Jul 7, 2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Wow sounds like he really... lost his head!... Ill see myself out
Old Jul 7, 2015, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Since your car is an MR get it tuned properly by a great place that can tune MR's. If you don't have one locally, Kozmic Motorsports are great with the MR and can etune I believe.

And before you say you don't have money for a tune right now, I can guarantee you don't have 8k for an engine replacement.

Get it tuned, even if you have to toss it on credit, so you don't harm your car. Why risk it?
Yeah I contacted them last week when I first found out but unfortunately they're not taking any new tunes atm due to schedule (understandable). I contacted a local shop (The Shop, in Connecticut), and initially when I asked for a quote they told me they're booked for atleast a week but it would be $500. When I explained the situation they told me they would fit me in either tommorrow or the day after and they would call me back, which I had to post about, cause I love them for that.

As for Carmax still being referred around, but not holding judgement yet since I just brought up the urgency until today.

Quick Reply: Cobb EBCS w/o a Tune