Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

First time evo buyer advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time evo buyer advice

I am currently looking to buy either an evo or an sti. I like the way the evo looks and drives over the sti, but many people have said the sti is a better product, what issues does the evo have and how reliable is it? What are common issues?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Anyone that says an STi is a better product is a bit misinformed. The STi has an engine that is prone to failure, specifically ringland failures (google it). The EVO is a much more reliable platform especially when modding. If you are buying new, not many issues to note. If you are buying used, I'd suggest getting a 2011 + model year as prior to that they had timing chain stretching issues.

Coming from an 08 STi - get the EVO.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Haha come on an evo site and ask which is better an evo or sti... Ok well down to business i mean the only negative thing about the STI is they just keep putting a bigger body on the car and have yet to address any of the engine concerns. I personally like the look of the evo a bit more as well the new sti to me looks a little clunky. But you should just drive both and decide which you like more!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An sti stock block can barley handle 350whp common now..
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MisterRegato
An sti stock block can barley handle 350whp common now..
It can barely hold stock power. Countless blown engines from running stock lol.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Can you give us a little context:

1) How do you intend to use the car (DD or track car)?

2) Is this going to be your primary car (that you drive everyday) or secondary car (that you rarely drives)?

3) Do you intend to modify the car or keep it stock(-ish)? If modify, what's the power goal?

4) What car do you currently drive, and how does it make you want an Evo/STI?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Have to agree with Napalm .. I work with a service contract company and I have seen many engine claims for STI older and newer.. only evo claim I have seen is we did a claim for an MR SST trans.. The Evo is more reliable and I bought my 2010 GSR brand new and have now just over 50k with no issues besides all these recalls coming out. Have had an Evo 8 prior and was solid as well.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Anyone that says an STi is a better product is a bit misinformed. The STi has an engine that is prone to failure, specifically ringland failures (google it). The EVO is a much more reliable platform especially when modding. If you are buying new, not many issues to note. If you are buying used, I'd suggest getting a 2011 + model year as prior to that they had timing chain stretching issues.

Coming from an 08 STi - get the EVO.
Would you still recommend getting a 2011+? I was thinking of picking up a babied 2008, would that be advised?

I'm not tracking it, just some aero and possibly coils. Nothing big. Just DD'ing her.

I'm very undecided on what year I should get, but I am searching for an 2008+ MR. I need the auto for the wife and traffic.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SolVII
Would you still recommend getting a 2011+? I was thinking of picking up a babied 2008, would that be advised?

I'm not tracking it, just some aero and possibly coils. Nothing big. Just DD'ing her.

I'm very undecided on what year I should get, but I am searching for an 2008+ MR. I need the auto for the wife and traffic.
If you get an 08, even babied, I'd plan to replace the timing chain + any other required maintenance on it. From what I've seen the 08 EVO's are quite reliable (someone please chime in if I'm wrong)

Personally, I would get as late of an MR as I could, just to err on the side of caution. I'm sure over the years they perfected things a little bit here or there <shrug>. Also anticipate cost of maintenance being a bit higher on an MR. I love the MR don't get me wrong but it costs more to run and to modify than the GSR.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
If you get an 08, even babied, I'd plan to replace the timing chain + any other required maintenance on it. From what I've seen the 08 EVO's are quite reliable (someone please chime in if I'm wrong)

Personally, I would get as late of an MR as I could, just to err on the side of caution. I'm sure over the years they perfected things a little bit here or there <shrug>. Also anticipate cost of maintenance being a bit higher on an MR. I love the MR don't get me wrong but it costs more to run and to modify than the GSR.
I appreciate the reply!

Thank you for the advice and such, I didn't factor in the maintenance and cost to modify between the GSR and MR. I guess at this point it doesn't really matter to much which trim I get, I'll just be happy with a Evo that runs great.

Do people prefer one trim over the other?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SolVII
I appreciate the reply!

Thank you for the advice and such, I didn't factor in the maintenance and cost to modify between the GSR and MR. I guess at this point it doesn't really matter to much which trim I get, I'll just be happy with a Evo that runs great.

Do people prefer one trim over the other?
If you are going big power - the GSR is a better platform. Driveability wise I give it to the MR due to it having a 6th gear and being able to have an automatic essentially for traffic. From a 'drivers' perspective I like them both, but slight edge to the MR for sheer performance due to how insanely fast it can shift.

Lifelong stickshift driver, but I love love my MR.

Expensive maintenance item on the MR is the transmission oil, you're looking around 500 to change it every 30k. Clutch packs are also another pricier item than say replacing the clutch on the GSR. They are around 1500 I want to say, plus installation?

So not deal breakers, but something to consider. Also this car is not fuel efficient at all (I don't care), and it will chew up tires with aggressive driving. As it is an AWD car, replacing all four tires is necessary when that happens.

Hope this helps -
Old Jul 11, 2015, 08:41 AM

Do your pockets a favor and be sure to grab an Evo that's 2011+... this will save you a lot of headache and worries in the long run I bought my Evo with 100 miles and only issue I've ever gotten was test pipe 02 sensor CEL.. otherwise i have a healthy baby girl.. 35k miles pro-tuned at 5k and i said **** the warranty!!!!

Im my own warranty haha
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:49 AM

Just keep in mind. They don't make the EVO anymore. I don't know how that effects your decision.