Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Will the rattles ever end??? (loose change sound behind radio)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the rattles ever end??? (loose change sound behind radio)

So i've been on a mission to squash all rattles in my car. It's been a long and frivolous battle. Love the car but the interior quality really leaves a lot to be desired.

Those of you with no or few rattles, please be grateful.

So the latest one started 2 weeks ago. Literally sounds like loose change in a cup behind the stereo when i hit bumps.

Driven around with most of the interior dash removed and I can hear it, just can't tell what is actually making the noise.

Anyone have anything similar?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Embrace it friend.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shekaar
Embrace it friend.
I can't. I just can't. I seriously have to control myself from driving the car straight into a light poll when the rattles get so bad.

I know, I shouldn't expect this from a car based on a lancer. I just want to find them and I'll fix them myself. Finding them is just a b!tch.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't take 3 minutes to take apart the radio and look behind it, might just be the radio aux port cable fell off the dummy receptacle plug.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Never heard that 27k on my EVO. You have something loose or wrong. Car is noisy but not a hoopty. I have the leather etc. not sure if that makes any difference.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Never heard that 27k on my EVO. You have something loose or wrong. Car is noisy but not a hoopty. I have the leather etc. not sure if that makes any difference.
I got rattles with leather ;/ 16K here. Though I just took out that heat shield thing above the exhaust while I was doing my Driveline Fluids tonight, so we'll see if that helped any tomorrow.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 02:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car has developed a rattle on the passenger leather seat harness plastic piece, 7200 miles here
Old Oct 10, 2015, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
theres going to be a new adjective to sell your evo "no rattles"
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:44 AM

Guess i took this for granted. Just bought a evo x has 54k miles no rattles that i've notcied yet...
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

I also bet your rattle that you think is behind the stereo is actually the passenger side post rattle.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43509

This one.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

There is only ONE rattle that literally drives me ****ing insane. I have no idea if this ons is common, but right by my ear where the seatbelt is, you know the part where you can adjust the seat belt height up and down, has a HORRIBLE rattle and sounds like a bee buzzing in my ear while I drive.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
There is only ONE rattle that literally drives me ****ing insane. I have no idea if this ons is common, but right by my ear where the seatbelt is, you know the part where you can adjust the seat belt height up and down, has a HORRIBLE rattle and sounds like a bee buzzing in my ear while I drive.
You can put a piece of felt in there to stop that from what I've read. I haven't had that one yet. Just rear decklid rattle and the one I posted a link for.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much, most rattles have been identified and have fixes readily available.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I also bet your rattle that you think is behind the stereo is actually the passenger side post rattle.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43509

This one.
Interesting.....
Old Oct 11, 2015, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by commbubba19
Interesting.....
If you want a suggestion, as I have done this one, get some hipoxy resin or something else like it, and have a metal coathanger. I found making a makeshift small hook on the end helped me get the stuff where it needed to go to stop the squeak. It's a tough spot to get to, once you get there you'll see, so be ready to get creative to get enough material into that area to stop it from moving.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Saw the Pin. lighting wasn't good enough to see if it was marked up.

I used a heavy grease on the pin on both sides. Figured if there was flex, it will need to still move instead of using jb weld to lock it in place and put stress on something else that shouldn't be stressed.

Also pulled the radio and zipped tied up some of the cables.

So far it's a lot better. Still some dash creaks but nothing like it was.

I didn't pull the driver's a-pillar but i would imagine the same alignment pin is there. I wonder if needs greased too.

You'd think that'd be something easy for them to do at the factory during assembly. Just blob some grease on the pin before the assemble.

Quick Reply: Will the rattles ever end??? (loose change sound behind radio)