Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Renting a car to pick up OEM Recaros - Do I need a SUV?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Renting a car to pick up OEM Recaros - Do I need a SUV?

Hey guys, I'm going back and forth over this, and can't figure out what to do...

I'm going to be picking up a pair of OEM Recaros for my FE tomorrow, and initially I thought that renting a full sized vehicle would be fine. I was assuming that I could fold the back seats down, recline the Recaros, and angle them partially into the trunk.

I'm now worried that I'm going to end up driving 700+ miles just to find out that they don't fit in the back, at which point I'm going to have to leave my wife in Illinois (on Valentine's Day weekend), just so I can get the seats back home safely lol.

The cost difference to upgrade to a SUV will be a little over $150 total for the 2 days I need the vehicle, which I really don't want to spend if I don't have to.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else tried stuffing these seats in the back of a vehicle before to transport them? How did it go?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just have everything freighted to your house instead? Seems like a lot more time and money just to pick them up when you can have them sent straight to you
Old Feb 12, 2016, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I would rent a small tow behind trailer with sufficient padding and covering (weatherproof) and tow that down there. Load up and secure the seats and drive back. Cheaper than a rental car, and you can minimize damage during transport. Also you can see the seats in person.

My .02 cents.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlexDRS94
Why not just have everything freighted to your house instead? Seems like a lot more time and money just to pick them up when you can have them sent straight to you
I was going to have them shipped originally, but the company the guy was going to ship them through was going to charge $430 to ship them to an unknown location somewhere in my area, and I'd have to pick them up from there.

By going to get the seats in person, the guy accepted $100 less for the seats ($900 total), and I don't have to pay shipping, so it's technically a savings of $530 before expenses to get the seats.

Also, as Napalm said, I get to see the seats in person, and don't have to send money to someone on faith that they ship the seats (I've been talking to the guy for a while, so I trust him, but you never know).

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I would rent a small tow behind trailer with sufficient padding and covering (weatherproof) and tow that down there. Load up and secure the seats and drive back. Cheaper than a rental car, and you can minimize damage during transport. Also you can see the seats in person.

My .02 cents.
I considered this, but I'd have to rent a vehicle that could tow the trailer anyway, so I'm not sure it would really save a ton.

For some reason, a Pickup truck was listed $50/day cheaper than a SUV, so I was toying with that, but I'd have to make sure they were protected for the trip back.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yea dude get the suv. Like ive picked up some seats before in a hatchback and it was a disaster they did fit but the seats were super squished and scratched the crap out of the interior. They will look a lot bigger when your trying to shove them into the back of a car I promise that. Mine were ep3 seats for my 95 hatch.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Yea dude get the suv. Like ive picked up some seats before in a hatchback and it was a disaster they did fit but the seats were super squished and scratched the crap out of the interior. They will look a lot bigger when your trying to shove them into the back of a car I promise that. Mine were ep3 seats for my 95 hatch.
That's exactly what I was worried about.. thanks for the info/suggestion!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

I fit both recaros in my 2001 Acura TL
Old Feb 12, 2016, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, I guess I should have read the first post. I had to recline my passenger seat. It depends on the size of the trunk in the car you rent. I'm sure it could be done but you might as well rent an SUV to be 100% sure.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys.. I hope they have something at this point, as we were picking up the car tomorrow morning. I'm going to call them on my lunch and see if I can get an upgrade just to be safe!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I fit OEM recaros in an SVT Focus once, you should be able to fit them no matter what.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

I talked to the people at the rental place, and got a great deal on a larger vehicle. Their rates went WAY up since I locked in my full size car earlier in the week (I signed up for $25 a day, they're now $78 a day).

If I took the car today instead of tomorrow when I wanted it, they said they could give me a 4 wheel drive Dodge Journey for $50 a day as opposed to the normal rate of $130ish a day.. so all in, I'm looking at $252 total for a 3 day rental (even though I only needed 2 of those days lol).

There's no way I won't be able to fit them in this, so I definitely feel a bit better about the trip now, and being able to bring the seats AND my wife back home with me lol.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Good luck with the trip!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Good luck with the trip!
Thanks! I'm pretty excited to get those seats, but still a bit worried that I'll get there and find that they aren't what I'm expecting. I'm sure it's just me worrying for no reason, but I'll feel much better once I can see them in person, and load them into my fancy new rental!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah hopefully the seller was upfront with everything. I picked mine up a week ago. I drove 400 miles each way and of course I had the same worries as you. Luckily they're in great shape and he told me about the only wear which is a few wrinkles on the driver leg bolster.

I put them in this week and I've been going on random drives just to get more time in the seats. I love them.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would drive the fe to get them take out the passenger seat at your house and leave it home.
Once you get to the seats install both of them and put the oem seat on the back seat and drive home.

Quick Reply: Renting a car to pick up OEM Recaros - Do I need a SUV?