Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Bye to my baby :(

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Wait, I just realized. Did they not tow you with a flatbed??? They could easily have ****ed the drivetrain by towing just the fronts.
Old May 6, 2016, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrophiK
I did look at this as well. Idk being an import guy my whole life it would be a tough pill. And would certainly blow in the snow that we do see here sometimes.
Don't label yourself as an import guy or domestic guy. Label yourself a car guy. My last 3 fun cars were mustangs. A Mach 1, 03-04 Cobra, and a 14 GT. And now I have an Evo. Hell I've even consider older Camaros and would love a Z06 in the future. And if I could still have all 3 of my former mustangs I would but I can only have 1 fun car at a time.
Old May 6, 2016, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the new golf R is pretty impressive, im thinking about selling my evo and its that or a GTR
Old May 6, 2016, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Final Edition
Old May 6, 2016, 06:31 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow, glad you're ok. It's amazing the crash ratings these cars have!

I recommend the FE. I wouldn't worry about the non-recaros (though no leather sucks). IMO, the bolsters are comparable to the CT9A bolsters. You can get by, until you find some on ebay then swoop em up and you're all good then. I LOVE the all black interior, something about it is... less distracting. In addition, it's just a smoother, funner ride. It's the SE but with a manual.

Hope you stay in the Evo family as well, but if I were to get out, it'd most likely be an RS or 370z. Though the 370z doesn't compare to the Evo for handling imo. The RS is tbd.
The following users liked this post:
CaTaSTrophiK (May 7, 2016)
Old May 6, 2016, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad you walked away relatively unscathed! That's some heavy damage.
Old May 6, 2016, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I vote used X MR, IX, VIII or FE!
Old May 7, 2016, 03:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Epyon
Wait, I just realized. Did they not tow you with a flatbed??? They could easily have ****ed the drivetrain by towing just the fronts.
From the scene it was a flatbed. They probably did at some point because they are idiots. I saw it and I said you know this car is AWD right? She says it's fine it's in neutral and I'll put the ebrake down . Then two minutes later she pulled the truck away, probably realizing she was retarded..
Old May 7, 2016, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by migs647
Wow, glad you're ok. It's amazing the crash ratings these cars have!

I recommend the FE. I wouldn't worry about the non-recaros (though no leather sucks). IMO, the bolsters are comparable to the CT9A bolsters. You can get by, until you find some on ebay then swoop em up and you're all good then. I LOVE the all black interior, something about it is... less distracting. In addition, it's just a smoother, funner ride. It's the SE but with a manual.

Hope you stay in the Evo family as well, but if I were to get out, it'd most likely be an RS or 370z. Though the 370z doesn't compare to the Evo for handling imo. The RS is tbd.
Originally Posted by donny_utah
Glad you walked away relatively unscathed! That's some heavy damage.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I like the looks anyway of the Nismo 370 and if I didn't have the QC issues with the ford it would definitely be up there. I have a suspicion ill be sticking around here.
Old May 7, 2016, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad youre ok. Seems like these cars hold up pretty well in a crash. A new 370z would be pretty nice. I'd check out a new GT as well.
Old May 7, 2016, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrophiK

An FE (disappointed I can no longer get my leather recaros or sunroof)
370z Nismo
S4
M235ix
Genesis Coupe Ultimate
STI (not a huge fan of it style wise or interior wise)
Focus RS (although not likely either, as when I bought this X I looked at the ST and the overall craftsmanship was poor at best)

Any other ideas? I'm open I'd like to cap at 50k, but would prefer less (so yes no GT-R).
I can shed some light on this because I recently went through some new car shopping after my MR transmission started acting up. I didn't think I would end up with another Evo but I found it was a better match than any of the other cars for me.

All the cars I looked at were under $40k. Here are my conclusions:
  • Audi S4 (2013) - It had a "3.0T" which is audi-speak for a 3.0L supercharged engine. I proposed that they call it a "3.0S" but I'm not sure that has caught on yet . It had decent power but not much potential for modifications (compared to an Evo). The handling was great, but still not as crisp as an Evo. This was a close second to an evo but they wanted $39k which I felt was too expensive. It also doesn't look as nice as an evo. Fuel economy was slightly better than an evo and it's probably a much better car for highway driving. I searched for information on the S4 forums and found lots of threads asking "why do the Evo's always beat us even when we have stage 3 modifications???". Very roomy and great trunk space.
  • BMW 335ix (2013) - Slow. It handled like a boat but I'm beginning to suspect that there was something wrong with the certified model I was driving. Near 50/50 weight balance and great control in the snow with no ability to get sideways. You can fit your bag of golf clubs in the trunk without an issue.
  • WRX STI (2015/2016) - Slow and poor boost response with lots of road noise and poor handling. I liked the interior and trunk space much better than an evo but the exterior was ugly. The boxer engine is alright for economy cars, but it's unnecessarily complicated when turbocharged. Lots of the used WRX's/WRX-STI's they had were on engine two or three. Not sure why. The car had horrible understeer.
  • Evo X GSR and FE (2015) - I don't like the small trunk or the engine reving so high on the freeway, but the power, growth potential, and amazing handling won me over. I believe this car will hold its value far better than an S4 or BMW. I have had my FE for since 12/30/15 and couldn't be happier with it. The transmission feels solid, the steering is tight and crips, and the stock power is enjoyable. I will probably just do an air intake, BCS and a nice tune. That should give me enough enjoyable power for fun while keeping the warranty (maybe) and reliability.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

If I had to do it over again, I would have also looked at a Golf R.

Goodluck with your search!
CaTaSTrophiK (May 7, 2016)
Old May 7, 2016, 05:18 PM

Awesome feedback TJ! I appreciate it. And agree about the Evo for sure but haven't driven the others.
Old May 8, 2016, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo or s4. The rest are mehhhh. I have driven or owned all of the choices except the RS but after driving the St and the stang I wouldn't want a turbo ford.
CaTaSTrophiK (May 10, 2016)
Old May 9, 2016, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

part out
Old May 12, 2016, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, glad you're ok!

I come from STI's, I had a 2013 and a 2015 STI. Between them I drove over 40k miles and did over 30 track days on road courses all over the midwest. I now have a 2015 EVO GSR. The STIs are more comfortable for daily driving and just overall feel more like higher quality cars. For me a big part of this is the STI's 6 speed trans, it is a notchy shifter but is an actual rod (not cable) linkage and feels excellent rowing through the gears. The 2013 handles well but loses its composure somewhat when bombing through bumpy twisty roads. The 2015 STI is actually STIFFER than the EVO, exhibiting less body roll and less body motion over said bumpy/twisty roads. As far as track cars though, STIs are ticking time bombs. Ask me how I know...

If it were me, I'd get a 2016 Camaro SS. It currently represents the best bang for the buck performance to dollar ratio right now. Can get a base model for 36k and for that it'll run with a BMW M4 on a road course and in a straight line. Hell, Car and Driver just tested one for their long term fleet and it pulled 118 mph trap speed in the quarter mile. That's MOVIN'.

For 50k I'd also seriously consider the BMW M2, although it isn't widely available yet. The GT350 would also be on my list. If you want an AWD pocket rocket I'd wait for the Focus RS. Good luck and stay safe!

Quick Reply: Bye to my baby :(