Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evolution X - Fuel Pump Relays

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Evolution X - Fuel Pump Relays

We all know about this problem in the past:

https://www.boostedforums.net/showth...uel-Pump-Relay!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzn...?ddrp=1&hl=en#

So you had vendors put together packages to make it easier for peace of mind to swap them out. Here are some:

I believe these black ones are all OMRON's which are still acceptable, safe alternatives to what could be in your car.
http://www.sspperformance.com/evo-x-...y-package.html

Then you have these with the yellow/orange relays. I think these are the latest Panasonic as mentioned in the Boosted Forums post. No idea if they are better or not. Note that althought the picture shows 4 yellows and one black OMRON - I received 3 small black, 1 orange, and 1 large black OMRON.
http://www.kozmicmotorsports.com/fue...2008-2014.html

Then you have these bros...(never heard of them).
http://www.dancaauto.com/products/mi...nt=17482353092

So, has anyone had experience with all these currently available options. Is the small Orange/Panasonic (Japanese) preferable to the small black OMRON (although sufficient and safe)?
I think the blue/green can be ignored because the black/orange is better. And, I'll assume, without any reason, that the Orange (Panasonic) is best because it's the latest...

Clarify, please!

Last edited by moparfan; Aug 17, 2016 at 05:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
deylag (Oct 22, 2016)
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the Kozmic kit. Those are the latest colors, but I personally run the http://www.sspperformance.com/evo-x-...y-package.html

If I ever need to upgrade them again I would pick up the latest kit like the Kozmic which I suggested.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 06:36 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Supposedly the Panasonic ones are the latest and best out. They are the ones that ship in the Final Editions. But mine are black, not sure about the orange ones.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Supposedly the Panasonic ones are the latest and best out. They are the ones that ship in the Final Editions. But mine are black, not sure about the orange ones.
I assume your FE ones are labeled Panasonic? The Orange ones don't have anything on them.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 07:40 AM
EvoM Community Team

They are indeed labeled Panasonic. I'll try and post a picture later.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Just replaced my 2015 Evo X relays with Kozmic set - answers...?

Ok, so the 2015 Evo X GSR comes with 4 Panasonic 8627A030 relays (black) which I replaced with 3 MR122409 OMRONS (black) and the unmarked Orange (assumed Panasonic) in Fuel Pump position. I placed the orange for the Fuel Pump position because I assume it is the most important and the whole point of this quandry anyway. The stock Panasonics (short, black) seem sealed by the way. The Orange/Tall Panasonics are also sealed (I assume they are THE best overall choice). So I would say look for them although the OMRONS MR122409 may be sufficient, I think the Oranges may be "More" equal.

The stock 2015 Evo X GSR relays are small/short and the replacements are "tall". Going by the RRE/Mike W pictures I assume this taller relays can have bigger and better coils. So even though the 2015 comes with decent Panasonics they are possibly "less good" because of the small package size.

Some pics attached below for what they're worth.

First a picture of my stock short/black Panasonic Relays with a 2015 Evo X GSR:

Side by side of the Panasonic 8627A030 (short/black) vs. replacement OMRON MR122409 (tall/black).

Last edited by moparfan; Aug 18, 2016 at 11:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
deylag (Oct 22, 2016)
Old Aug 18, 2016, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Question - are the spare slots in that box where I can stick a relay for dealing with troubles on the road?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 06:40 AM
EvoM Community Team

Do you have data that the black Panasonic relays are bad? I haven't read that anywhere. Kozmic started selling the orange ones before the black Panasonic relays came out
Old Aug 19, 2016, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Do you have data that the black Panasonic relays are bad? I haven't read that anywhere. Kozmic started selling the orange ones before the black Panasonic relays came out
No data, just trying to reason through it.

Reference to this for relay SIZE/QUALITY theory:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...open-pics.html

Here's my idea...after a bunch of iterations (green, blue, etc), Mitsubishi found a reliable part the OMRON MR122409 (tall, black) for service replacements. Bigger relay etc solves the problem, it's not sealed though which may or may not be an issue depending on where you live and driving conditions. So eventually the black Panasonic (short) one came out which is cost managed (smaller relay) AND SEALED that basically solves this problem. If Mitsu can get away with a relay that costs, making a number up, 50% less in volume and solves the problem in the parameters they see, why not? But we're trying for better. Anyway, I already bought these little replacement f***ers.

Except the Orange Panasonic (tall, sealed - non cost-managed but fine for service replacements if a customer has a problem) came out in the interim. This may be the best-best choice. While the small, black, sealed Panasonic may be perfectly fine, the Orange large/sealed Panasonic may be better long-term ...if you don't mind laying out money for something that may not be an issue anymore.

The short/tall thing refers back to the sticky on relays that has cut apart internal pictures (link above). And I'm just positing this off that. If somebody doesn't want to change it that's fine, it's probably not a problem. But people spend lots of money on here on whatever, so what's a few bucks if this story might make sense.

edit: Oh, none of the stock, short, black, sealed Panasonics made any noise during a shake. I guess if you are especially paranoid you could get a bunch of Orange Panasonics and swap them out between dyno pulls to get verified working stable AFR relays.

Last edited by moparfan; Aug 19, 2016 at 08:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by moparfan:
evo 1768 (Aug 20, 2016), migs647 (Aug 19, 2016)
Old Aug 19, 2016, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Andy@AMR
Get the Kozmic kit. Those are the latest colors, but I personally run the http://www.sspperformance.com/evo-x-...y-package.html

If I ever need to upgrade them again I would pick up the latest kit like the Kozmic which I suggested.
MAP performance's relay kit seems to only use Oranges - although the number of relays is different from the others. This MIGHT be better if all the stuff I spewed out above has merit. I'll probably switch all to Oranges just because.

Last edited by moparfan; Aug 19, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 01:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont waste your money, I never changed mine in my 2010 X MR 162000 miles original owner.
Lol Should i be worried too?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 07:29 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
Dont waste your money, I never changed mine in my 2010 X MR 162000 miles original owner.
Lol Should i be worried too?
You on a factory tune? If not, you could be running lean and not know it.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say better safe than sorry, especially with boost. Only had mine a few weeks, 44k on it, and changed it anyways. Piece of mind.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travbabble
I say better safe than sorry, especially with boost. Only had mine a few weeks, 44k on it, and changed it anyways. Piece of mind.
I definitely idle a little better. I had one bout of cranking non-starts about 6 months ago. I was getting ready to tow that sucker home -- but then it fired up. So if that was a symptom of relay funkiness it's a low price to pay.

It'll take longer driving to see how the rest of it shakes out.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
I definitely idle a little better. I had one bout of cranking non-starts about 6 months ago. I was getting ready to tow that sucker home -- but then it fired up. So if that was a symptom of relay funkiness it's a low price to pay.

It'll take longer driving to see how the rest of it shakes out.
I had one time where it turned over, and didn't start. Other than that no issues at all before. I plan on modifying it anyways, so might as well.

Quick Reply: Evolution X - Fuel Pump Relays