Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Shorter shift boot help please!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Shorter shift boot help please!

So I saw this pic on the forum, from years ago. Does anyone know how I can achieve this look? What boot to purchase? Thanks!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-knobs-2.html

Old Jan 5, 2017, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Pretty sure that's a Redline Goods boot with possibly a shift extender.
The following users liked this post:
CaptainCrunch (Jan 5, 2017)
Old Jan 5, 2017, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by .Adam
Pretty sure that's a Redline Goods boot with possibly a shift extender.
I'll second that. I have a Redline boot that looks very similar. Nice piece, that. It's either an extender or an aftermarket shifter that doesn't have a stop for the boot up high.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys! I'm on their website now... and the image looks so different. For the Evo they only offer one sizing on a MT. It looks like a stock one in overall size. The one in the pic I posted originally looks really short and just covering the base... is it still the same? Here's the link.

http://www.redlinegoods.com/EvoXshiftboot.php
Old Jan 5, 2017, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by splattj
I'll second that. I have a Redline boot that looks very similar. Nice piece, that. It's either an extender or an aftermarket shifter that doesn't have a stop for the boot up high.
From the original thread, looks like he removed a piece to achieve that look: " the ring is two pieces - a rubber & plastic part. Remove the rubber piece & you can use the plastic ring. "
Old Jan 5, 2017, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

The one you posted looks like a stock sized boot with a taller shifter or shift extender like this:
http://www.torquesolution.com/product-p/ts-uni-013.htm

It might be worth contacting redline to see if they can make you a short version, if that's what you want.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

The one you posted looks like a stock sized boot with a taller shifter or shift extender like this:
http://www.torquesolution.com/product-p/ts-uni-013.htm

It might be worth contacting redline to see if they can make you a short version, if that's what you want.
Awesome! Thank you! I actually just ordered a countersunk shift knob. I was trying to achieve the shortest look... just really liked how that boot looked tucked like that, with the link exposed.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Umm.. how do I get this part off? I thought it was suppose to come right off with the boot!

Old Jan 12, 2017, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

I can't get it off! Thats what she said... but seriously...
Old Jan 12, 2017, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

It should come off. Did you push it down really hard trying to get that short boot look? Spray the top with a little WD40 or hit it with a heat gun. Make sure you use pliers or wear gloves once you get it hot.
CaptainCrunch (Jan 12, 2017)
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

It should come off. Did you push it down really hard trying to get that short boot look? Spray the top with a little WD40 or hit it with a heat gun. Make sure you use pliers or wear gloves once you get it hot.
I...may...have...pushed it down...kind of hard....lol...thanks splattj...will try again. Felt like I was about to pull the whole thing out...

I have no clue how the person whoever did the one in the photo I posted did it!!!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shift boot definitely looks like redline goods, I had mine at custom length to match my twm short shifter to achieve the 'short look' possible... here's a picture of mine:
Attached Thumbnails Shorter shift boot help please!-img_2285.jpg  
Old Jan 12, 2017, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rafaron
Shift boot definitely looks like redline goods, I had mine at custom length to match my twm short shifter to achieve the 'short look' possible... here's a picture of mine:
Looks awesome! Thanks for the pic. Did you just readjust the length of the boot when installing it? Or is it more involved? Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Looks awesome! Thanks for the pic. Did you just readjust the length of the boot when installing it? Or is it more involved? Thanks.
I didn't have to do any readjustments, I just used twm's website as reference. It mentions that with their short shifters, it reduces 1.25", so I ordered my shift boot around 1.8" shorter. That will give it a very clean 'short' look. No need for any adjustments. Keep in mind that the shorter the boot, the tighter and narrower the hole, so be patient in installing the plastic thing.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rafaron
I didn't have to do any readjustments, I just used twm's website as reference. It mentions that with their short shifters, it reduces 1.25", so I ordered my shift boot around 1.8" shorter. That will give it a very clean 'short' look. No need for any adjustments. Keep in mind that the shorter the boot, the tighter and narrower the hole, so be patient in installing the plastic thing.
Oh man! Thank you. Great info. Going to order one, and hopefully order the right one. Hope you don't mind me asking for some help if I need it.

Quick Reply: Shorter shift boot help please!