Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mod list question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mod list question

I am compiling parts, I have...

Drop in
Test pipe
Catback
1000cc
aem fuel pump
3 port

I plan to install all of this and get tuned at RRE for e85/91. I live in cali, so I want to be able to easily convert to stock CAT and pass carb.

So here is the question..
Would it be worth is to do a short DP, or a long DP, or should i just leave it stock?

and...Would it be beneficial with these mods to get a cone intake? or should i stay with the drop in?

I plan to not upgrade further for a long time. thanks in advance. 2011 GSR

Last edited by Kevin Lock; Jan 10, 2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Lock
I am compiling parts, I have...

Drop in
Test pipe
Catback
1000cc
aem fuel pump
3 port

I plan to install all of this and get tuned at RRE for e85/91. I live in cali, so I want to be able to easily convert to stock CAT and pass carb.

So here is the question..
Would it be worth is to do a short DP, or a long DP, or should i just leave it stock?

and...Would it be beneficial with these mods to get a cone intake? or should i stay with the drop in?

I plan to not upgrade further for a long time. thanks in advance. 2011 GSR
So you're wanting to switch from your aftermarket downpipe back to the stock downpipe once a year for emissions inspection, and then switch back to your aftermarket downpipe right after, correct? If so, I think it depends on what you're willing to sacrifice.
If you leave the stock downpipe you're sacrifing some performance but you won't have to go through the trouble of switching downpipes every year.
If you get a short downpipe, you get some added power from your tune, but have to switch pipes every time you go in for emissions inspection, which is a hassle and depending on your mechanical skills is a 1-3 hour job.
If you get a full downpipe, you'll make a little more power than you would with the short downpipe (depends who you ask, have seen plenty of people here who are convinced it makes a negligible difference) but you need to switch downpipes every time you go in for emissions inspection, and with the full downpipe, it's awful. Removing the downpipe at the turbo is much different than removing it at the O2 housing, go check out a DIY guide to see what I mean. It is not fun and will take several hours with access to the right tools and a lift, even longer if you are doing it at home.
Of course, you could pay someone to do the switch, but that'll be pricey, especially with a long downpipe. Personally, I'd get the short downpipe if you need to make that switch and are willing to do the work, and that's coming from someone who has installed/uninstalled both short and long downpipes. Also, keep in mind that depending on how the emissions testing is done (I'm not from cali so I'm not familiar with the process) when you switch you might want to also reinstall the stock catpipe/testpipe along with the stock downpipe as doing so would let you have all of the factory cats on the car for testing.

As for the filter/intake, if you have the extra money, I think you should spend a little more to get a full intake rather than a drop in. It'll make a little more power and won't needed to be upgraded later, even if that's not in the near future. Plus, for what it's worth, it'll look and sound better than a drop in.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
On the stock turbo, you're not losing anything by sticking with the stock downpipe. If you have to swap stuff out to pass emissions every year, I can see no justification to put an aftermarket DP on.

A drop-in filter is also completely fine, unless you want the noises associated with an open element intake.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Evos don't have cats on the downpipe, so they should be looking at your cat?

Also I would stay away from the AEM fuel Pump. They're known to fail.

Do you have a UICP? IF not you may want to look into a combo with an intake and UICP.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The evo x does not have a cat in the downpipe, so unless you go with a bigger turbo don't bother going with an aftermarket downpipe.

To pass emissions you will have to swap the test pipe out and put the stock cat pipe back in, not a very hard job, only 4 bolts and an o2 sensor. If you want a fuel pump, I recommend walboro, and also pick up a UICP while you're at it, won't affect emissions but will greatly improve throttle response when building boost.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I know the cat is not in the DP. After reading your responses Ill just leave the DP stock.

Ok, Ill look into a UIP.

One more noob question I cant find in a search...

I really like the K&N Typhoon kit. If I got it, would the UIP that is included do the trick? OR should I invest in a legit UIP? and would it be ok to go ahead and install it for a month or two until I get all parts compiled and tune it?

Last edited by Kevin Lock; Jan 10, 2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, I know the cat is not in the DP. After reading your responses Ill just leave the DP stock.

Ok, Ill look into a UIP.

I really like the K&N Typhoon kit. If I got it, would the UIP that is included do the trick? OR should I invest in a legit UIP? and would it be ok to go ahead and install it for a month or two until I get all parts compiled and tune it?

While I'm not a fan of K&N anything, a pipe's generally a pipe. It'll do the job any other UICP would do.

It uses the stock MAF housing, so you're fine to run the intake and UICP until you get a proper tune.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok, Ill look into a UIP.

Though the UICP in that picture is only half of the necessary set up, I'm guessing maybe it will clamp onto the other half of the stock pipe? Might want to look into that.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:30 AM

Ok, Ill look into a UIP.

Intercooler pipe is definitely a good investment. Go to MAPerformance and see what they have available and get the best priced intake and upper intercooler pipe, just make you're buying a full intake and a full upper intercooler pipe kit. Really just get something affordable and that looks to you, at the end of the day it's pipe and a cone filter, really hard for a company to mess that up.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 04:39 PM

If you're not a brand snob. deporacing has some affordable pipes for both UICP and LICP. check their HFC too. leaning towards them when I decide to mod mine.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 06:55 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by shekaar
It uses the stock MAF housing, so you're fine to run the intake and UICP until you get a proper tune.
This

And like posted above. A pipe is a pipe. If you like the K&N kit... go for it.