Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New '15 Phantom Black Member

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New '15 Phantom Black Member

Hey guys, thought I'd introduce myself around here. I'm in Phoenix and just got a 2015 GSR in December. I've been on the forums for 5 years or so because I've always wanted an evo!

I've owned a couple modified 300zx twin turbos, z28 f body, 350z, and a couple other random cars. So far I'm loving the car and honestly don't mind the ugly seats so far. They are decent for daily driving but haven't hit a canyon road yet.

I almost purchased a '14 but it ended up costing about the same to get a new '15 vs low mileage used '14.

have not decided if I want to mod it yet. I've owned plenty of modded cars and I kind of want the evo to be a simple and fun car to daily! The warranty is nice so it'll give me peace of mind if I drive it a bit harder.

Anyways, look forward to seeing some evo's out there!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Enjoy the car If you want to smooth out the power a bit without tuning it add a Cosworth drop in filter. Found that alone cleared up a bit of a stumble the car had stock arond 5500RPM's when pushing it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 06:49 PM

Thanks Napalm, I'm definitely going to look into that! The power drop at 5500 still surprised me even though I was already expecting it. It is more pronounced than I assumed it would be. We'll see how long I can keep it stock! For now just mudflaps and driving gloves :P
Old Jan 10, 2017, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations on the purchase,best color too.
I agree with getting the cosworth drop in,afe makes a cleanable dryflow drop in too but its double the cost.
The following users liked this post:
ddlopresti (Jan 17, 2017)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:13 PM
UxC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have a '15 Phantom Black. Welcome to the club! My first mods, without a tune, were an AMS Catback Titanium Exhaust, and a K&N CAI and UICP. Ran that without a tune for ~3000 miles until Beeble tuned my car, and it's great! Grimmspeed EBCS and AMS Downpipe and HFC came about 1000 miles after the catback. I'm sitting around 320whp with just those and Beeble's tune! If you don't to mod it, I'd at least get a fresh tune on it to safely get a bit more horsepower out of the stock parts.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by booloop
Thanks Napalm, I'm definitely going to look into that! The power drop at 5500 still surprised me even though I was already expecting it. It is more pronounced than I assumed it would be. We'll see how long I can keep it stock! For now just mudflaps and driving gloves :P
You'd be surprised that stumble is all but eliminated with that drop in. To be honest I bought all the boltons and was set to be tuned to eliminate that, and on a whim I put in the drop in and the car was 99% fixed.

I still got the tune and power, but realistically I could have been happy and stock with a warranty. Oh well **** happens lol.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:20 PM

Congrats! I have the same year and color

My first mod was Recaros xD but after that came the AEM dry flow cleanable filter. As everyone mentioned def smoothed it out. But best part for me was increase in audible spool and DV sounds, boooooost

Have fun

Last edited by EvoTomP; Jan 19, 2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: changed K&N to AEM
Old Jan 22, 2017, 05:45 PM

Thanks guys!

Update: Loving the car. Nearly at 1000 miles, routine maintenance light turned on. Guessing the oil just hasn't been changed in a few months.

I've launched the car once and have some some pulls. I am going to enjoy the car stock for a while and replace/ upgrade parts as they need to be replaced. I do spirited driving quite often so I am interested to see how all the parts hold up!

Will post pictures soon.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 09:32 AM
UxC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to see you're loving it! I'm 11k miles in and haven't had an issue yet, except for my negative terminal somehow slipping off the battery, lol.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by UxC
except for my negative terminal somehow slipping off the battery, lol.
Lolol probably just a few too many of those pesky speed bumps!

I figure I will go through my first set of tires and my first clutch quickly. I bought a rally street car so I could have some fun damnit!

-Have you taken the Evo on some dirt roads or snow trails yet? I have mudflaps ready to go and some great dirt roads close to me. It's very tempting...
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome! Look forward to seeing what you do with it. Great color choice
Old Feb 8, 2017, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great color

I have a 2015 Phantom too

Three things that will make it look and handle better is a set of Swift R lowering Springs and a Whiteline Rear Sway Bar and End Links.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 04:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Good to see that you finally got the car that you wanted.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
You'd be surprised that stumble is all but eliminated with that drop in. To be honest I bought all the boltons and was set to be tuned to eliminate that, and on a whim I put in the drop in and the car was 99% fixed.

I still got the tune and power, but realistically I could have been happy and stock with a warranty. Oh well **** happens lol.
With the cosworth air filter it's not like a brick wall at 5500, but a trailing off of power?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by moparfan
With the cosworth air filter it's not like a brick wall at 5500, but a trailing off of power?
I didn't notice a brick wall with my EVO, it was more like it would pull smoothly until about 5500-6000 then have this odd hesitation / stumble where it would feel like losing power then continue up to the redline. With the filter alone, that was all but eliminated. If you hit a brick wall up top, and are stock, you may have issues. If you hit the brick wall and have modifications you would need to get a better tune on your car because the current one is sketchy if it's behaving like that imo.

Quick Reply: New '15 Phantom Black Member