Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Please help me understand on how to get a front bumper quick release!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Please help me understand on how to get a front bumper quick release!

Can someone please provide me the information needed for me to have a quick bumper release please? I'm so sick of tired of having to take my front bumper off to change an intercooler or a lower intercooler pipe or my headlights, etc. It gets old REAL QUICK. I do not know the things i need in order for me to make this happen.

Can you please help identify the things i need for a front bumper quick release by providing me with links to all the items?

I was thinking of getting the APR under panel with rods so i don't have to constantly remove those stupid plastic pieces. Does this get in the way of oil changes?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks for starting this topic! If i may add to your questions? To use this kit, will it defeat the purpose if u use an undertray? I'm using a BeatRush undertray.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 03:36 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
If you want to take full advantage of a quick release, you're going to have to remove the undertray and fender liners. Otherwise you're still going to have to get under the car and remove some things. So.... that's up to you.
The following users liked this post:
NJ9MR (Jan 17, 2017)
Old Jan 15, 2017, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
heres a kit http://moveoverracing.ca/product/evo...k-release-kit/

basically the purpose is to remove the front bumper quickly. i had a similar setup on my evo 8/9. able to remove the front bumper in less than 1 minute. granted i had no undertray or fender liners.

same applies for the evo x. if u have fender liners and trays attached to the front bumper then it defeats the purpose slightly.
if u want to take full advantage of a quick release, then the only things attached to the front bumper should be the 4/5 bolts from up top and the quick release push pins itself. also note, u will need to drill some pretty massive holes in ur bumper so its not for the faint of heart and not reversible.
NJ9MR (Jan 17, 2017)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I have the Move Over Racing kit on my X, I've been using it about a year now.

My thoughts are that it is great for a DD that gets worked on a lot. Installation is easy, they provide the instructions, all you need is a stepped drill bit to put the holes in. Obviously, once you install the quick release, your bumper won't go back to normal

As others have said, you'll basically want to use no undertray or fender liners to take full advantage of the quick release. For me, I still run my undertray and fender liners. I really got the kit because my original bumper was getting so saggy from removal and installation, I didn't really care about removing the under tray bolts and what not to remove it.

I did get in a low speed accident in my drivers corner with them installed. This kit is very strong, I ended up reinstalling the kit on the new OEM bumper I got. I think the button locks are rated to like 600 lbs each or something crazy, they're damn sturdy.

Anyway, if you're looking for the best quick release kit available for our car, the Move Over Racing kit is the one.
NJ9MR (Jan 17, 2017)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
You can also fabricate new brackets and use Dzus assemblies. Google image search shows quite a few bumper setups with these.

You could use them to attach the under tray and fender liners. It won't be a 1 minute process but it would make it pretty quick.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:08 AM
UxC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, without completely removing the undertray and fender liners, you're going to end up spending a decent amount of time to take it off, anyway.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Personally on all my cars I use quik-latch minis.

Theyre compact,easy to install and super straight forward to use. Take a look

Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Pardon the blury pic