Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Seat belt harnsess with roll cage.. Is roll cage necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Seat belt harnsess with roll cage.. Is roll cage necessary?

I really like the recaros in the evo x. I also really like the look of the seat belt harness goes through the seats. I do not have any idea really on how the seat belt harness really works and connects. I was curious though...would it be a waste of money/time to get a 5 point harness in the car if their is no roll cage?

I just want the look of the belts coming down the chair from the front view of the car.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
I really like the recaros in the evo x. I also really like the look of the seat belt harness goes through the seats. I do not have any idea really on how the seat belt harness really works and connects. I was curious though...would it be a waste of money/time to get a 5 point harness in the car if their is no roll cage?

I just want the look of the belts coming down the chair from the front view of the car.
if you want to use the rear seats i would recommend the Schroth Rally 4 point harness. Which bolts on the factory locations. That doesnt need any cage. 5 point will or should go through your seats at the bottom too. You have to cut the seat etc. Also those should have a roll bar at least, so they wont crush you if accident happens. But any metal tubing behind you, literally life threatening for passengers, you should not have a rear seat in place.

Other problmes, 5 point also restrict movements, and only works if you tight yourself down properly. That position you wont reach many places in the car. Like glow box , fully open door etc. highly impractical for daily.

I can see only one options for DD car, and keep the rear seats , the Schroth system i told you.

i hope it helped a bit.
The following users liked this post:
TxFAkuma (Feb 28, 2017)
Old Feb 28, 2017, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma

I agree with Rob on this one, go 4-point. Also, check the laws and insurance policies in your area. I was thinking about getting a 4-point for occasional spirited driving, but my insurance would drop me if I was in an accident with a 4-point on. Also, the harness needs to be DOT legal, unless you're keeping the factory seat belts in place.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jakgal04
I agree with Rob on this one, go 4-point. Also, check the laws and insurance policies in your area. I was thinking about getting a 4-point for occasional spirited driving, but my insurance would drop me if I was in an accident with a 4-point on. Also, the harness needs to be DOT legal, unless you're keeping the factory seat belts in place.

you should double check, but i think the Schroths are street legal. Also has a reel version which i would buy.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

Yeah, I think the Schroth uses the rear LATCH anchors or factory rear lap belt bolts and the factory front lap belt bolts. You'll want the inertial reel for a street car if you want to ever change the radio or the A/C blower position

Last edited by splattj; Feb 28, 2017 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Pics for clicks