Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

leaking fuel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaking fuel?

Just got back from the dealer after my non starting issue. after replacing the starter/battery, it didn't work. then they replaced the timing chain, did an oil change and it starts.

drove it for a day and it's fine. but it's raining here and i noticed that it's leaving small rainbow puddles at the rear of the car. i can smell gas in the cabin. fuel consumption seems ridiculously high. i filled to half a tank, drove for maybe 60km, and the gas indicator went down maybe 2 bars. WTF? taking it in tomorrow again and they said they'll look at it.

2008 Evo x MR. no mods. any ideas? not going to park in my garage tonight if it's leaking fuel. *** that.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 06:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
Sounds like you have diagnosed it correctly. Since you are in Canada it is possible you had salt make a rusty spot in one of your fuel lines or even your gas tank.

Although, since it was just worked on, its possibly they checked something with the fuel pump or a fuel line an did not fix it properly.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DontStopMe
Sounds like you have diagnosed it correctly. Since you are in Canada it is possible you had salt make a rusty spot in one of your fuel lines or even your gas tank.

Although, since it was just worked on, its possibly they checked something with the fuel pump or a fuel line an did not fix it properly.
what are the chances this happened naturally vs something the dealer did? srsly, my car was with them for 2 weeks straight. they must've noticed a leak in the tank when they had the car up, no?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Its hard to say who's at fault without knowing where the problem is. Like DontStopMe said a rusted fuel line or torn hose could be natures fault. But if they took the pump housing out to inspect or something like that and didn't properly seal it that could cause issues.

If you want you can pop up the rear seat and take a look-see at the top of the fuel pump. Very easy to get to (2 minutes). If theres any problems around where the pump goes you'll see from there.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you have an update?