Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to Install a Front License Plate without drilling the Bumper

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
states require a front plate jus so the popo have a place to aim the radar, gets good reflection
Old Mar 6, 2009, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

not a bad a idea..
Old Mar 9, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Just did this like a few minutes ago... Great idea... I used 5 zip ties. Getting the 6th back behind the others is kind of a pain in the ***. It feels pretty sturdy and it doesn't look half bad. I prob. bent a few intercooler fins, but oh well, no air is hitting them anymore.

No front plate tickets in MD are 60 bucks a pop. I got pulled over yesterday and got a warning... I figured for the 5 bucks and 15 minutes it took, it'll save me some harassment from the MD Gestapo
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Just got a fix it ticket for not having a front plate. I will do this with 2 zip ties, pass the inspection, then take it off again
The car looses quite a bit of its mean demeanor with a front plate
Old Apr 9, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey It might be ugly but it serves it's purpose to get those cops off of us. here is a pic from a stand point.

Old May 3, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Quite simply. Thank you for this as I was dead set on not putting my front plate on. I installed a clear bra and tint the other day and the owner of the business was a washington state patrol man and he noticed the no plate right off(had just purchased the car) he agreed that it would look like crap on the car but unfortunatly they don't make the law. They only enforce it.
Old May 23, 2009, 03:36 PM

if the states requires front license plate, why not have the oem plate holder on the front bumper? I kind of like it IMO. JDM!! =P
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:07 PM

Great idea! I just did the mounting on my Evo. I used 10x 8" zip ties (double-lock), got a Bell front license plate mount and a smoked cover for the plate. It looks great. Being in California, I don't think anything will ever happen to the zip ties, it's always about 72F in SoCal.

How does the plate and weather stripping hold up for everyone after car washes?
Old Jul 11, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
weather stripping is made to be weather resistant because they are suppose to be used in outdoor conditions as a sealant between windows and doors. The plate never fell off with the tie straps, the tie straps i brought were UV rated so they won't melt in normal heat conditions, meaning under 120º.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 04:27 PM
WAM
Evolving Member

Unless you take the plate off frequently, I wouldn't trust those cable ties long term. A good compromise would be to go ahead and zip-tie it, but back it up with at least one loop of stainless safety wire. Kinda like a tether. Someday you may find the plate hanging from the wire. Better than just going missing.

Plastic will last weeks, maybe even months...but years? Dunno
Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone who has done this front center mount last year removed it recently? Is the plastic behind the plate darker now than the rest on the bar due to no UV exposure behind the plate?

Also, why do you guys think these zip ties won't hold up? They could get brittle and crack I guess, but that should take years. Those things are made to be pretty strong. Dunno?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

I had plastic zip ties holding my bike's plate on. They weakened and fell off over time. I would swap the zip ties out every couple months just as a preventative maintenance kind of thing... maybe when you do oil changes or something.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:14 AM

i dont have a front plate just like a corvette
Old Aug 26, 2009, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

I'm debating between zip tying it off to the side on the Intercooler mesh or doing the drilling. It doesn't get all that hot in MN and I could easily remove it for track days.

Last edited by mlomker; Aug 26, 2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 07:28 AM
Cyp
Evolving Member

here's an interesting idea:https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...relocator.html

Quick Reply: How to Install a Front License Plate without drilling the Bumper