Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

how to install different front seats - with no fault codes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I have a 2015 evo x gsr and a 2008 MR . I am giving my brother the MR and since mine didn't come with recarros I switched them .went to the dealership and they said they couldn't clear the code .lol . So your saying take out passager seats and switch out the railing and sensors to the original car and that will null the code ? Can you explain that in ridiculous stupid dummy version lol appreciate it tremendously lol I hate that damn light

Originally Posted by MRevolutionX
In short, yes. Keep whatever receptacles that came with the car in the car.

Apparently the Recaro seats have a 2 wire/pin connector, whicle the Lancer GT seats (2015 Evo seats) have a 4 pin connector. I don't know about the RAs specifically, but whatever style the car came with, it needs to keep. So, to be safe, no matter what seat you used to have or are switching to, just keep your OEM belt receptacles in the car and ditch the ones from your new seats. That's your best bet.

Now after thinking about it though, I guess if you started with a 2 pin connector (Recaro) and switched it to a 4 pin connector (GT seats), the extra 2 pins just wouldn't do anything, so your car would be fine. But, who would switch from Recaros to GT seats anyways???
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by apparittion
So I have a 2015 evo x gsr and a 2008 MR . I am giving my brother the MR and since mine didn't come with recarros I switched them .went to the dealership and they said they couldn't clear the code .lol . So your saying take out passager seats and switch out the railing and sensors to the original car and that will null the code ? Can you explain that in ridiculous stupid dummy version lol appreciate it tremendously lol I hate that damn light
I'll do my best to make this simple.

Move your seat belt buckles from your 2015 seats to your Recaros. Then put the buckles from the Recaros on the 2015 seats. DO THIS FOR BOTH SEATS. See picture #1.

Take the passenger seat weight sensor from your 2015 seat and put it on your Recaro seat. Then put the Recaro weight sensor on your 2015 seat. There are 8 nuts to undo on each seat. DO THIS ONLY FOR THE PASSENGER SEATS. See picture #2.

If you need more instructions, see the very first post in this thread (go to the top of page 1). Or, click this link, it will take you there: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7105351
Attached Thumbnails how to install different front seats - with no fault codes-img_20150603_160434362.jpg   how to install different front seats - with no fault codes-dscf0191.jpg  
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:43 AM

Your the man even pictures 😱😱😱😱 lol.. I will be trying this on Tuesday and leather seats 😍😍😍I'm jelly lol even tho I would never use them still a nice thought if your girl busted her *** in the snow lmao and her *** is cold but that's why God gave us hands 😎😎😎. Thank you will let you know how it goes !

I'll do my best to make this simple.

Move your seat belt buckles from your 2015 seats to your Recaros. Then put the buckles from the Recaros on the 2015 seats. DO THIS FOR BOTH SEATS. See picture #1.

Take the passenger seat weight sensor from your 2015 seat and put it on your Recaro seat. Then put the Recaro weight sensor on your 2015 seat. There are 8 nuts to undo on each seat. DO THIS ONLY FOR THE PASSENGER SEATS. See picture #2.

If you need more instructions, see the very first post in this thread (go to the top of page 1). Or, click this link, it will take you there: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7105351
Old Jul 24, 2015, 06:09 PM

I can confirm that the air bag light will go off when you swap the driver side belt buckle & the passenger side bottom bracket with weight.

I installed leather recaro a into my 2015.

But I switched the passenger side belt buckle also so they look the same.

This thread made things a piece of cake, great info!!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:06 PM

I just installed a pair of Recaros in my 2015. Oh yeah! Thanks for all the help guys.

Edit first post: I should have introduced myself. I will get on that In the newbie thread.

Last edited by Phantom4523; Aug 5, 2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 09:07 PM

Yeah, I got it figured out. Apparently, the Lancer GT seats (2015 seats) are a little different from the Recaros (besides the obvious). The driver seat belt receptacle (not the technical name) has a 4 pin connector, and although the one on the Recaros is the same connector, it only has 2 pins. See the attached picture. It seems that only the driver one differs, not the passenger.

However, the metal stamping that the seat belt receptacle is attached to is longer on the GT seats than the Recaros, so the receptacle sits a little high than it should (~1"). It isn't anything you would notice if you didn't know (or you might not notice when doing the install even), I just set them next to each other and happened to see that.

I replaced both driver and passenger sides just to be uniform for that reason. I will say the GT cable is also 2-3" longer, but that doesn't matter.

So basically, just swap the seat belt receptacles (you'll need a 17mm socket, a long ratchet, and quite a bit of strength). My SRS light went on since I didn't know this, and after I fixed it, the error cleared itself, no dealer visit necessary. Of course, also make sure to switch the passenger weight sensors. Be sure to do all that with the negative battery terminal disconnected.
Thanks for the tip on the '15 seat belt receptacle. Missed this part initially and my light came on. Mega 'FUUUUUUUUU' moment.

Btw, what year did you buy your seats from? Mine feels like the seat warmer is on low all the time; I got my driver side seat from a '12, and I don't remember the Recaros in my '14 being that warm just sitting in them (both full leather). Perhaps it's just been too long...
Old Aug 10, 2015, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by confusingboat
Thanks for the tip on the '15 seat belt receptacle. Missed this part initially and my light came on. Mega 'FUUUUUUUUU' moment.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I had the same heart-stopping thing happen to me.

Originally Posted by confusingboat
Btw, what year did you buy your seats from? Mine feels like the seat warmer is on low all the time; I got my driver side seat from a '12, and I don't remember the Recaros in my '14 being that warm just sitting in them (both full leather). Perhaps it's just been too long...
My Recaros are from a 2012 if the guy was honest on his Ebay ad. I agree my butt feels a little toasty, and on the way home today I remembered reading your comment so I turned both front seats on low to see if that was really "off". They did both seem to get warmer so I think everything still works fine. I turned mine off and it seemed to cool off... a little. I know high is definitely hot too. My guess is the bolsters hug your sides so well that all of that warm air gets trapped and heats up more than a normal seat (which wouldn't be tight on your sides and allow air to escape from the sides). I can't imagine Mitsubishi would change the wiring from the switches depending what seats were installed either.

I guess someone could check the service manual and see, or check if there are different switch part numbers in, say, the normal Lancer, or even unplug the connection to the seat heaters and see if that changes anything. As for me, I'm content to assume that my *** just generates a lot of heat.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 06:44 AM

I guess someone could check the service manual and see, or check if there are different switch part numbers in, say, the normal Lancer, or even unplug the connection to the seat heaters and see if that changes anything. As for me, I'm content to assume that my *** just generates a lot of heat.
There will be no need. After cruising around in the Recaro (obviously while crying tears of joy) I flipped the seat on low and did some testing. Apparently my *** just generates a lot of heat as well, because low definitely cranked up the heat a little, and high is just generally unbearable in the summer heat, even at night.

Also, a tip for anyone who goes with a stock seat with a deployed bag like I did that opts to not have a new one put in: cut the harness from the old airbag at about 4-6" from the connector and solder your 2Ω resistor(s) on the end of it and heat-shrink tube it. It makes for a much cleaner install.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 02:51 AM

Going to pick up some suede recaros next week for my 15, thanks so much for this post.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 08:30 PM

code b223d

Ik this post might not be related but my airbag light is on and the Accessport says it is the code B223D which is OCM DTC Present. I am not sure if the owner replaced the passenger seat before. How can I remove the code (airbag light)? Can the dealer calibrate it to get rid of the code? Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2015, 08:40 AM

I have a 2015 and just purchased a pair of recaros out of a 2014. They come with sliders but no bases. Do I need resistors or anything for these seats to install correctly?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jk1229
Ik this post might not be related but my airbag light is on and the Accessport says it is the code B223D which is OCM DTC Present. I am not sure if the owner replaced the passenger seat before. How can I remove the code (airbag light)? Can the dealer calibrate it to get rid of the code? Thanks
I'm not familiar with the error code but if it is the weight sensor then the dealer should be able to calibrate it. From what I've heard, they're coded to your VIN so they just rewrite your VIN onto that computer and you're good.

Originally Posted by Silverhold
I have a 2015 and just purchased a pair of recaros out of a 2014. They come with sliders but no bases. Do I need resistors or anything for these seats to install correctly?
PM'd. No, you'll be fine with what you've got.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=MRevolutionX;11503170]I'm not familiar with the error code but if it is the weight sensor then the dealer should be able to calibrate it. From what I've heard, they're coded to your VIN so they just rewrite your VIN onto that computer and you're good.

so I tried this with my 08 (replace the seat belt and my weight sensors just like u said and the light is still on 😭 . But maybe this will help identify the problem the other day my friend ****s on the car and I'm driving and he didn't have his seat belt on and the passenger seat was not blinking )(btw the light is always on, the one next to the hazard lights could it be something to do with the sensors ? Did I not tighten it properly ? Idk but I'm gonna try this thing out Friday and recheck everything again because I had with this light lol
Old Sep 8, 2015, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apparittion
so I tried this with my 08 (replace the seat belt and my weight sensors just like u said and the light is still on 😭 . But maybe this will help identify the problem the other day my friend ****s on the car and I'm driving and he didn't have his seat belt on and the passenger seat was not blinking )(btw the light is always on, the one next to the hazard lights could it be something to do with the sensors ? Did I not tighten it properly ? Idk but I'm gonna try this thing out Friday and recheck everything again because I had with this light lol
If you already had Recaros and just put different Recaros in, you don't need to swap the seat belt buckles. That's only for us 2015 guys. It shouldn't be a problem if you did, though.

I would say your problem is with the passenger weight sensor. Start playing around with that and see where it gets you.

I don't really know more than that. So... GOOD LUCK!
Old Sep 27, 2015, 05:35 AM

Just bookmarked this as part of the brainstorming and research I'm doing to build my evo, the seats in the 2015 are just shocking to say the least... As a skinny guy I just am not gonna get over it

I did some hard canyon driving last night, and on a stock car the seating is still the weakest link by far

Quick Reply: how to install different front seats - with no fault codes