Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo X Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) Installation Howto (Illustrated)

Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
btw I took off my bumper again yesterday....just to re tighten the UICP and LICP....they will need re tightening for sure...my t bolt clamps were noticeably loose after driving around with the new setup for a few days.....i'd say I can spin the t bolt about 1 full turn before it started to feel resistance again.....
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:11 PM

Nice write up, I used this to install my FMIC over the weekend, and it did help
Old Dec 22, 2009, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad this is helping people! Cheers guys.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:27 PM

i64X - Thanks for taking the time to take photos. Very useful.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

dude, you are awesome. I am about to do a full swap on my FMIC to the Perrin and the pipes as well. I was sure it wasnt hard but you helped tons. Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Good writeup.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This write up was very helpful to me when I installed my AMS FMIC. A couple of tips:

If you loosen the brackets on the lower IC pipe it will definitely make it easier to get that lower coupler off of the old FMIC. Just one correction, on my car there are two brackets, not one, holding the lower IC in place. One bracket is easily accessible from the side, but the other one is hidden under the air filter housing. You get to the 2nd bracket by removing the front part of the air filer housing. Just unclip the two clips, slide out the filter and remove the one 10 mm bolt. Push the front half of the housing toward the rear to unclip it from the two hooks at the bottom. Then the 2nd lower IC bracket can be reached with a 12mm ratcheting wrench.

I also put a small amount of swimming pool equipment silicone lubricant (any swimming pool supply store, like Leslie’s, sells it) on the new couplers to make it easier to slide them on and position them.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:05 AM

They must have the best acceleration and speed while driving. Real pleasure to drive this car.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
btw I took off my bumper again yesterday....just to re tighten the UICP and LICP....they will need re tightening for sure...my t bolt clamps were noticeably loose after driving around with the new setup for a few days.....i'd say I can spin the t bolt about 1 full turn before it started to feel resistance again.....
is there a better way to ensure the tightening is done once and for all instead of removing the bumper and tight it again? i believe that those who went workshop for installation will not go back for retightening, either they do not notice it or the workshop ppl never tell them so...

can we leave the bumper there and drive around and tighten it again?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by superlemonevo
is there a better way to ensure the tightening is done once and for all instead of removing the bumper and tight it again? i believe that those who went workshop for installation will not go back for retightening, either they do not notice it or the workshop ppl never tell them so...

can we leave the bumper there and drive around and tighten it again?
yup, if you have the time, drive it around for a good while...get it up to temp....then bring it back home and re tighten as necessary...then put the bumper back on
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanted to install my FMIC today and the last shop that took the bumper off really ****ed things up.

One of the bottom bolts is not coming out. Whatever it goes into is broken, so it just spins around.

And two of the clips on the bottom are fricken impossible to pull out. I'm taking my car to my local mechanic to get this thing off tomorrow morning.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cannot remove the FMIC from the OEM couplers.

Any tips? All bolts are removed. I loosened up the UICP and LICP, but those rubber couplers are not budging.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:40 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishstix
I cannot remove the FMIC from the OEM couplers.

Any tips? All bolts are removed. I loosened up the UICP and LICP, but those rubber couplers are not budging.
take a small screwdriver and insert it in the coupler, and run it around the radius, if you can, spray some soapy water into gap...

cb
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:23 AM

Installed the FMIC this past weekend. And BIG THANKS to i64X, for the helpful photos.

This may have been mention and I just overlooked it but the connections for the fog light connnecters need to disconnected before completely removing the bumper. It is located above center of the intercooler.

Overall, it took about 4 hours+ from start to finish. For the novice, attempting their first FMIC installation, test fit before bolting down all the pipes and clamps.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Nice write up. Definitely going to bookmark this when I order my AMS FMIC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo X Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) Installation Howto (Illustrated)