Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Help battery completely dead doors wont open!!!!

Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys should pop your doors open and take a look, the locking mechanisms aren't that difficult to figure out mechanically and it's usually pretty easy to figure out and fix unless there's something that's actually broken. Super easy to pop them open and put them back as well usually... i've never done it on my evo but have done it multiple times on my fj cruiser and it's cake.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

I know for a fact that a cell phone will interfere with the fast key. Just make sure your keys are in the opposite pocket.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Regardless when i drive around. Sometimes the all the icons come up and the navi starts to reset itself. Its like the car is restarting itself when I'm driving, except the car doesn't shut off. ITS scary....

This symbol (0) with a ! in the circle comes up. I checked the book and its related to the brake fluid but that's fine.

I think its somehow related to the ECU or something. I'm gonna have my tuner try to diagnose if there some ECU related problem.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 08:36 PM

maybe the car was in a accident and that door was hit before you bought it.. and the rod in the door was f.ed up or not fixed properly or its a salvaged door with the wrong lock in it?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

car was not wrecked. But I am taking the door off this weekend to see if anything is loose back there. I'll post up after I do to let everyone know
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Just ran across this thread while searching for something else, and was curious fi the problem was ever figured out. I know that when I use my key in my door, it's a MECHANICAL locking mechanism. Mitsubishi designed the car such that if the battery does go dead, there is one point of entry to be able to get to the battery to jump it. It was the same way in my 09 Lancer GTS.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Just to bring the thread back from the dead. Just manually take out your key and manually start the car while pressing on the brake- the car will start itself up. Remember if you tuned your car- make sure the tune is correct and do not attach any metal key holders to your car key.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:49 AM

Keyless entry is what you referring to? There's and actual key in the FOB. Remove it and you can open your car, manually.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

I'm still a little shocked with 4 pages of replies this thread wasn't moved to general and left under a "how to" section.

Also a little shocked about not using the key in the fob with it pushed together like the instructions say to do. I mean there is a diagram right on the metal key on how it needs to be pushed against the fast key portion to work.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:02 AM

I had one the other day that would not unlock witht the key. Selling dealer mixed up hard key whit different car. Cut a new key with proper key code and it working fine...other fob was in different part of country so dont know if it was right key also.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Wow...hope OP got this resolved? Maybe he bought an RS......
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:41 PM

Fellow Lancer Owner locked out completely

Hello, I have been reading through this post because I have the same issue.

Locked out, car battery is completely dead, the hard key will not work. Putting the key in the fob before using it in the door obviously does not work because the battery is completely dead. How is the door going to scan a key with no power to whatever device does the scanning?

Is there seriously no way into the car if the battery is completely drained? That is such a massive design flaw...No battery = no entry = no way to jump battery...what the hell...you would think they at least had a small proprietary battery the door/key scanner would run off so drivers aren't victims to one of the most remedial ideas ever!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:54 PM

I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I had not read pages 2-3 of this post. I am not sure what this guy ever found out.

My car however absolutely will not open with the hard key like I said, in the fob or not. I have used the key in the past and I have not needed to put it in the fob to open the doors with the hard key. My battery is brand new so I do not even know why it is dead in the first place.

I have never had this issue with my key opening the door in the past and my remote is blinking when I try just the fob so I know that has power, but remote or hard key, the car is completely unresponsive. I have tried the key both ways outside of the fob turning left and right and tried the key inside of the fob both ways turning left and right and nothing.

...and just now noticing this site is for EVO...sorry guys...but this issue obviously is not EVO exclusive

Last edited by AleighS; Mar 28, 2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Oversight
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty sure I have the answer you guys are looking for. It won't help you get into your car with it dead, but it should solve the problem once you get it opened. If the handle has ever been taken off there's a good chance the mechanical locking mechanism wasn't properly reassembled. I have removed my handle before when I vinyl wrapped my car and I almost overlooked it but for whatever reason I double checked to see if the mechanical lock was still working. It wasn't. There is a shaft that goes from the lock portion of the handle to the locking mechanism of the door. This shaft has a lot of free play and if it isn't lined up to the doors locking mechanism it will just turn freely inside the door. To fix this, you need to be able to open the door, and on the jamb there is a rubber grommet parallel to the handle. Remove the grommet. Straight through the hole is a torx screw that needs to be unscrewed. Be careful backing it out so you don't lose it in the door. I can't remember whether or not there is a stop to keep the screw from coming all the way out or not. Now you can pull the lock portion of the handle out. You may need something plastic to help you dislodge it, just be careful not to scratch the paint. Once it's out you will see the shaft. Look through the hole in the door to see where that shaft lines up with the locking mechanism. If I remember correctly, all I did to line it up was make sure the shaft was pointing straight without drooping or pointing to either side and slowly inserted it 'til it engaged. Double check that the entire mechanism works and you should be good to go.
The following users liked this post:
xxSALxx (Dec 29, 2016)
Old Apr 3, 2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ignited Alchemy
Keyless entry is what you referring to? There's and actual key in the FOB. Remove it and you can open your car, manually.
read the thread before posting. OP probably has a bad key.

Search this Thread