Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Dimmer wire pick-up for gauges?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dimmer wire pick-up for gauges?

Quick question guys...

Have any of you grabbed a good source for the EVO X dimmer for aftermarket gauges? Did you just grab a wire from the back of the actual dimmer panel? Installing some AEM gauges that has a provision for dimming and would like to know what some of you have done for this. Thanks for any guidance!

Lou
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This:
Originally Posted by endGameXIII
tip for those that want the dimmer function on the gauge to work with the car (for the defi gauges) or color change (for prosport):

tap the wire that's responsible for the dimming (white for defi, not sure for prosport as i have a defi gauge) into the GREEN-WHITE (green w/ white stripe) wire on the ASC button. for those that has the SSS package, the GREEN-WHITE wire is on the leveling switch as well. either one works. i believe there's a GREEN-BLACK wire on the buttons as well, but that's most likely a ground, and thus won't work. make sure you got the right wire.

those that has the ASC button on the center console, you might have to dig for the harness, but it should be there, and should still work even if it's not plugged into a button.
The following users liked this post:
BWDuke (Apr 30, 2016)
Old Mar 9, 2010, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoluXrichie
This:
Excellent! I'm going to use a multi-meter to see if its a true dimmer wire, or if it's a low/high like headlights on/off... Thank you very much!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
this is what I plan on using:

Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Tephra, are you using that for a simply high/low intensity in your gauges depending if the headlights are on vs. off? Or are you using it as a true dimmer via the dimmer knob in our instrument cluster?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:34 PM
EvoM Guru

just high/low... on/off

not steps
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tephra
just high/low... on/off

not steps
Gotcha. My AEM analog boost gauge uses an actual dimmer input to dim/brighten as you adjust the dashes brightness via knob in cluster. This is the wire I am trying to find. I have a feeling that the post toward the top is only going to give me a headlight on/off output... where I am looking for actual dimming via rotating knob.

Lou
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HybridKOOP
Gotcha. My AEM analog boost gauge uses an actual dimmer input to dim/brighten as you adjust the dashes brightness via knob in cluster. This is the wire I am trying to find. I have a feeling that the post toward the top is only going to give me a headlight on/off output... where I am looking for actual dimming via rotating knob.

Lou
Yeah, that's just a headlight on/off wire, I guess I didn't understand what you were looking for, sorry...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoluXrichie
Yeah, that's just a headlight on/off wire, I guess I didn't understand what you were looking for, sorry...
Yeah I figured that.

I'm looking for a single wire under the EVO X dash that has voltage that fluctuates as you turn the dimmer knob in the gauge cluster. Some aftermarket gauges have the ability to gradually lighten up or darken along with the rest of the cars instruments via the OEM dimmer knob.

Lou
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Just thought I'd update everyone and let you guys know that I had my entire gauge cluster out of the dash last night, testing wire after wire to find a correct rheostat source wire.

Finally, on the back of the gauge cluster, I came across a red wire, white stripe, that fluctuated voltage when I pressed the dimmer button on the front of the cluster. Yay! Then I realized that all full brightness, the wire yielded 0.00v. At lowest intensity, the wire was throwing almost 12v... this is exactly backwards from how the AEM gauges work.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to be like everyone else and just have the light bright/dim with the parking/headlights.

I am curious to know though, if the "dimmer" green/white wire in the radio harness fluctuates, or if it's a simple 12v/0v source that goes on/off with parking/headlights. Does that make sense?

Lou
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

FWIW, I also just talked to AEM, who said that they have seen this on one or other two car makes/models... where the 12 volts was opposite from how their gauges work.

They are sending me a schematic to build an inverter out of Radio Shack parts, but I am just going to use regular illumination. I'll post the schematic here in case anyones interested.

Lou
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:23 AM

Lou,

Keep us posted. I just got my AEM analog gauges...

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADABING
Lou,

Keep us posted. I just got my AEM analog gauges...

Thanks!
Will do, and I'm definitely not stating that the EVO X does not have the correct rheostat wiring... I myself though, have not found it yet. If anyone else knows, please post!

Lou
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:50 AM
EvoM Guru

well I tried my way - only works on Parker lights.

Link 13 is for headlights - but its reversed so +12v when off, and 0v when on?!?!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:51 PM
EvoM Guru

ok I found another way.

C311 on the etacs connector (big one near the bottom)

pin 10 ...

seems to work ok

Quick Reply: Dimmer wire pick-up for gauges?