Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

EVO Projectors and HID help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO Projectors and HID help

Ok I have a GSR and recently installed Spec D Projector headlights (4LHP-EVO08JM-8Y-SD) Now the halogen bulbs that came with the projectors were H7 I swapped them for H7 HIDs. The only thing is that every time I go over a bump or uneven pavement both of the HIDs wobble back and forth. Then when I go under the hood the bulbs seem very loose in the side to side movement. I have been suggested spacers but since the housing being aftermarket and I don't know where to begin to look and of course Spec D Tuning has never heard of a spacer or this problem. I'm not totally sure that a spacer would solve the problem or the HID H7 is the correct size. Any suggestions? Also the headlights are also tightened and I don't believe them to be the problem.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 05:49 PM

wish i can help
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by lil ayzian
wish i can help
me too.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:21 AM

I must say putting HID's in halogen projectors are not a really good idea. It's same as you put HID's in halogen reflectors but a little better. You might blind the incoming traffic, has less light output, different color output, burn the chrome layer inside the projector due to the extra heat, and you won't get lights cutoff as nice as HID's in HID's projectors. Oh well, who cares anyways, lol. Just make sure they won't be aiming too high.Most likely the problem's from your HID bulbs, not the projectors since you didn't have that problem when using halogen bulbs I assume.
I'm no expert but these might help:
1. loosen up the springs which hold the bulbs down, turn the bulbs and see if you can make the bulbs sits tight.
2. If it doesn't work, try to lightly bend the springs a little and try to make it holds the bulbs.
3. If 1&2 don't work either, most likely the bases of the bulbs are too thin. You might want to add a spacer between the bulbs and springs. You can use the nylon washer which holds the bulbs in the "clear bottle" if you still have it. Trim it to fit into the housing. Gently bend the springs till you can lock them in place, sand the washer to thinner if needed.
Get a better fit washer If you don't have them or if they're too thick, just make sure the washers you use can take the high heat. Remove the whole light housing might be easier to work on or have a better fix. Take your time and you don't want to break anything. Let us know how it goes. GL and hope this helps.

Last edited by sum0325; Jan 27, 2012 at 04:59 AM.