Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Non-SS OEM HID headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-SS OEM HID headlight conversion

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me out with a question i have about converting my halogen to oem projector hids. I found a site that sells the headlights but dont know if it comes with everything to complete conversion.

I have been quoted for $2500 from the dealer to do the oem conversion and was wondering if it would be cheaper for me to find the individual components myself and just have a shop install them (im not to savy when it comes to electronic hook-ups).

Not sure if i can post a link to the site, so ill leave it out till told otherwise. But the item on site is described exactly as stated:

"Mitsubishi OEM Headlight HID"
"Part# 8301B074/8301B073"
"Tech Tip: price includes headlight assembly, wiring, bulbs etc."

So what else would i need?

Ill keep on trying to search for more info so thanks in advance to any helpful responses.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:38 PM

$2500 from dealer sounds pretty insane as the SS package is only $2100 which also include the RF system. Although I have no idea of what you need, but good luck.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:49 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Axshun
I was wondering if someone could help me out with a question i have about converting my halogen to oem projector hids..
Does that part # include the ballasts?? Also, does that part # and the dealer quote include the interior HID leveler button and its installation?

If I remember correctly from reading posts here and over at the other forums, $2500 sounds about right for an OEM dealership conversion. Not 100% sure on the price, but I'm pretty sure it was more than the pre-installed SS/SSS package.

Also, at the other forum, there was a thread where a member had this done, but they just couldn't figure out how to properly stop the HID flickering. I think there are a few different "disable DRL" hacks that will solve this, but not a proper OEM solution.

Thought about getting the same thing done myself. I know I could probably save half that going DIY or having another shop do it.. but if the result was 100% OEM, I'd definitely prefer that route.

Keep us updated on what you go with
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:03 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Also found this post at the other forum..

If you put OEM SSS HID's in your NON-SSS vehicle you will have the flicker issue no matter what. The dealership cannot solve the problem. Yes there is a command in the ECU to change the vehicle from NON-SSS to SSS but the command is locked from the factory and cannot be changed with the MUT-III. The only thing you can do to avoid the flicker issue is to disable your DRL's. A "how to" can be found here: http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15545

The J-Rox Harness can only be used with aftermarket HID's.
So unless things have changed in the past few months, an OEM dealership conversion will have flickering issues, and some hacks/workarounds will not solve the issue.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by LJ7006
$2500 from dealer sounds pretty insane as the SS package is only $2100 which also include the RF system. Although I have no idea of what you need, but good luck.
Exactly my thought when i got quoted for $2500. I never gave it the slightest thought that it would cost more than the SS package .
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by AFD
Does that part # include the ballasts?? Also, does that part # and the dealer quote include the interior HID leveler button and its installation?

If I remember correctly from reading posts here and over at the other forums, $2500 sounds about right for an OEM dealership conversion. Not 100% sure on the price, but I'm pretty sure it was more than the pre-installed SS/SSS package.

Also, at the other forum, there was a thread where a member had this done, but they just couldn't figure out how to properly stop the HID flickering. I think there are a few different "disable DRL" hacks that will solve this, but not a proper OEM solution.

Thought about getting the same thing done myself. I know I could probably save half that going DIY or having another shop do it.. but if the result was 100% OEM, I'd definitely prefer that route.

Keep us updated on what you go with
I didnt ask if the part # came with ballast.

Ive been trying to search people that have done conversions to oem projector hid headlights from non-ss package for the past few weeks and cant find anything. Everything i find on the topic is for aftermarket products, and thats not an option that i would even want to consider.

But back to the ballast question. Since the headlights cost $500 more per side than the oem halogens, i was hoping that it incorporated every major component to do the conversion. I wasnt to sure on parts actually required, so thought it would be to time to ask the evom community. So thanks for bringing up the ballast to my attention.

As far as the quote from the dealer. No, it did not include the price for HID leveler or installation.

And will keep you updated. Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

I was quoted about 1200 for an aftermarket solution (custom job), so no way the dealer should be more than double that.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:22 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

As far as the quote from the dealer. No, it did not include the price for HID leveler or installation.
When searching last night, $2500 definitely seemed the average going rate for a dealership conversion to an OEM HID setup (there were several threads on this over at evoxforums).

Some said they were quoted $2500 plus labor, and one guy had it installed w/leveler for $2500.

OEM ain't cheap.. think just the OEM projectors (no bulbs, wiring, ballasts, leveler) are around $900 for a pair.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by AFD
When searching last night, $2500 definitely seemed the average going rate for a dealership conversion to an OEM HID setup (there were several threads on this over at evoxforums).

Some said they were quoted $2500 plus labor, and one guy had it installed w/leveler for $2500.

OEM ain't cheap.. think just the OEM projectors (no bulbs, wiring, ballasts, leveler) are around $900 for a pair.
Well atleast now i know what to prepare for if i go directly with the dealer for the upgrade. Thanks

I found a site that sold the oem projector hid headlights with bulbs, wiring, but not sure if it includes ballasts for $883 per side which is a little over $200 cheaper per side than the dealer quote.

Now to find some downtime at work during the day so i could contact support from that site to find out if it includes ballasts.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

I have put the SSS headlights on my GSR. In order for them to work properly (no flicker), you'll need an aftermarket HID kit. I prefer this :http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=242

You'll need a 9006 Relay harness with a D2S bulb. This kit is second to none, the quality is exponentionally better than any ebay kit.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by vastevo
I have put the SSS headlights on my GSR. In order for them to work properly (no flicker), you'll need an aftermarket HID kit. I prefer this :http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=242

You'll need a 9006 Relay harness with a D2S bulb. This kit is second to none, the quality is exponentionally better than any ebay kit.
Sweet, thanks for the info.

Couple questions i have are, does this (flickering problem) apply to the 2011 models as well? I was reading up on another forum where someone stated that the flickering issue didnt apply to 2011 models since there are no longer DRLs in them.

Also, if you installed this hd kit yourself. How difficult was the process?

In the meantime ill be looking into your method as well since it would make sense to just apply an aftermarket hid kit on oem projectors to skip the hassle of other methods that i have seen posted but seem complicated.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:01 PM

Oh, and one last question...

Is switching to oem projectors just plug and play w/o hid kit?

thanks again.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, and one last question...

Is switching to oem projectors just plug and play w/o hid kit?

thanks again.

if you buy the SSS headlights and they include the ballasts and bulbs, switch the ballasts and bulbs out with the HID kit I linked and then it will be PnP and work perfectly.

As they sit, OEM SSS are PnP. However, you'll have all sorts of flickering issues. Thats why an aftermarket HID kit is required.

As far as difficulty of installation, just replace the OEM ballast and bulbs with the new ones. The ballasts have a bracket holding them on the bottom of the headlight housing. You'll also have to run the harness, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Last edited by vastevo; Jan 25, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:12 PM

Dang! the SSS package is like 2,000 I woulda imagined it be cheaper or no where near that price to get hids since u don't get the Rockford 6 cd system with sub, serious satellite radio, the large rear spoiler and the FAST key system.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:56 PM

if you buy the SSS headlights and they include the ballasts and bulbs, switch the ballasts and bulbs out with the HID kit I linked and then it will be PnP and work perfectly.

As they sit, OEM SSS are PnP. However, you'll have all sorts of flickering issues. Thats why an aftermarket HID kit is required.

As far as difficulty of installation, just replace the OEM ballast and bulbs with the new ones. The ballasts have a bracket holding them on the bottom of the headlight housing. You'll also have to run the harness, it's pretty much a no-brainer.
Awesome, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Non-SS OEM HID headlight conversion