Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

mounting the license plate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy mounting the license plate

so i finally got the ticket

I need to know if we can mount the plate on left or right without drilling holes in the bumper! or any other possiblities!

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 5, 2008, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
double sided tape onto the bumper, or zip tie it to the front grill
Old Apr 5, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

^ i have tied it to the front grill with some wires for now and it looks ugly
Old Apr 5, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

whatever you do, don't drill it.... lol.
i'd zip tie it to the grill... OR!!! (dun dun dun) get it signed off by a cop you know...and still don't mount it

-Chris
Old Apr 5, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by si_to_evo
^ i have tied it to the front grill with some wires for now and it looks ugly
lol just snip it really close

but yeah i would go with the ziptie or the double sided tape, my friend has had his double sided taped to his 9 for a while now and no problems
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going till I get caught. Crosses fingers.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by love9sick
I'm going till I get caught. Crosses fingers.
haha me too
Old Apr 6, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

will double sided tape do the job? I was thinking about that but i feel like it would fall off. I wish there was some way It could be magnetic. Like I could just stick it to the front when i drove certain places and then just rip it off other times. I might install some sort of quick connect thing in the bumper that doesnt look to bad so I can take it on and off in a hurry
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by si_to_evo
so i finally got the ticket

I need to know if we can mount the plate on left or right without drilling holes in the bumper! or any other possiblities!

Thanks in advance
If you don't mind me asking, how much does that ticket run? I've been running no front plate since an accident i had back in in Jan 04' and the bumper got replaced. I'm with the others, i'm running no front until "they" tell me I can't. I do realize an evo would command more attention than a lancer though lol...
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
will double sided tape do the job? I was thinking about that but i feel like it would fall off. I wish there was some way It could be magnetic. Like I could just stick it to the front when i drove certain places and then just rip it off other times. I might install some sort of quick connect thing in the bumper that doesnt look to bad so I can take it on and off in a hurry
Hey, Steve with the magnetic comment, did you mean something like this:

http://www.awdirect.com/magentic-lic...body-hardware/
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

I feel sorry for the people that bought the car with them installed on the bumper. Thats B.S. that you have to have 2 big holes in your nice front bumper.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jblade
If you don't mind me asking, how much does that ticket run? I've been running no front plate since an accident i had back in in Jan 04' and the bumper got replaced. I'm with the others, i'm running no front until "they" tell me I can't. I do realize an evo would command more attention than a lancer though lol...
Need to mail $25 within a week its rediculous all i can say is i was at the wrong place t wrong time
Old Apr 6, 2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by AkumaMax
I feel sorry for the people that bought the car with them installed on the bumper. Thats B.S. that you have to have 2 big holes in your nice front bumper.
well, here in ontario, canada its mandatory to have a front plate no excuses, they give tickets out if you dont have front plate or even have it inside the car showing only in the windshield, so i didnt care if the dealer put 2 holes in my front bumper coz that plate is going to be there forever. and it doesnt look bad, a lot of people ask me if i did that in purpose or bought any sort of aftermarket licence plate relocator, i told them its stock that way. just a lil share from a canadian EH!!!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jblade
Hey, Steve with the magnetic comment, did you mean something like this:

http://www.awdirect.com/magentic-lic...body-hardware/
hmmm, but does that need to be drilled to the bumper? I want something that I can jjust take it on and off by just pulling it off. Like if I installed a piece of steel behind the bumper with glue around the edge, then mounted the plate to a strong magnet, then put felt on the plate. Wait, NY plates are alum right? yea they are, lol. OK or maybe the plate is mounted to the piece of steel and the magnet is behind the bumper. Something along those lines ya know? Like I want it to look like magic, i can just pull the plate off anytime and there is no marks on the bumper. WORST case I'd iinstall something on the bumper that didnt look as bad as holes and just mount it. IDK, I gotta figure sumthin out

-Steve
Old Apr 6, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Found it

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

Super Magnet #31. Pull force is 175 lbs. I bet if I mounted that behind the bumper and mounted a steel plate to my license plate, then covered it with felt, I could stick my plate to it and then take it off and it would never fall off.

PS: check out #33, says pull force of 800 lbs. WHOA!!!

Quick Reply: mounting the license plate