Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Hid's and retrofitting?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hid's and retrofitting?!?!?!

Hey guys so I have a 2012 evo base gsr. I dont have any hid's or projector headlights. I was thinking of getting hid's now and then retrofit projectors later down the road. My question is what headlight bulb does the base gsr use and if I end up retrofitting down the road can I get the projectors to fit the same hid whitout having to change the bulb later on. Any input would be great!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

no, the projectors take a d2s bulb.

there's a member on the other forum that does this kinda of stuff. He does phenomenal retrofits for a very reasonable price.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by vastevo
no, the projectors take a d2s bulb.

there's a member on the other forum that does this kinda of stuff. He does phenomenal retrofits for a very reasonable price.
My buddy does amazing work, He did my old rsx and it was perfect!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:08 PM

did the gsr not come with projectors?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

i believe the stock GSR halogens are 9006/9007. check theretrofitsource.com. i dont think any kits use the same bulb size as the stock halogens. most projectors will take D2S or H1.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:15 AM

I just went through this ordeal, your best bet is to get the Depo Projectors from amazon, Hella Evo X R Projector Lens from TRS.com along with a D2S HID Kit with the harness choice of Relay 9006. Also pickup their rubber headlight sealer. I kept the stock halogen highbeams in tact so I didn't bother messing with that aspect.

OR just find some used OEM SSS Headlights in the FS section
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

GSR owner here. I paid for SSS headlights ($900), a new HID kit from TRS ($160), the jRox harness ($40), and an FX-R retro ($XXX).

Needless to say, I have ALOT of money tied up in my headlights. If I can recommend 1 thing, go with the vendor on the other forums to get a set for $800 that will be completely plug-n-play with no downtime. I know if he wouldve been around when I wanted to do this, I wouldve gone this route.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:09 AM

Wow thanks for all the info! Have any of you guys heard of using TSX projectors?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

your best bet is either EvoX-R, which is relatively cheap, or the FX-R's which will run about double the price of the EvoX-R's. with that said...I LOVE my FX-R's.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did a quad retro fit on mine, check out my sig. It's ALOT of work, and you have to be good with a Dremel, and very patient. Definitely use the guys at retrofitsource. They know what they are doing, and will recommend what you need.

Don't buy HID bulbs for halogen lights. I know.. alot of guys do it, but don't be that guy. It's tacky, it's half-***, and simply looks stupid. Any respectable car guy will laugh at you.

If you want blue light, just go buy the Sylvania 9006 Cool Blue bulbs. Gives you the blue effect, but keeps you halogen.

If you end up doing your own projectors, PM me, I'll help you through it. One tip right now.. get 55w, not 35w. My outside projectors are 55w. The inside ones are 35w. What a difference. The 55w is like daylight!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by sun_ice4
I did a quad retro fit on mine, check out my sig. It's ALOT of work, and you have to be good with a Dremel, and very patient. Definitely use the guys at retrofitsource. They know what they are doing, and will recommend what you need.

Don't buy HID bulbs for halogen lights. I know.. alot of guys do it, but don't be that guy. It's tacky, it's half-***, and simply looks stupid. Any respectable car guy will laugh at you.

If you want blue light, just go buy the Sylvania 9006 Cool Blue bulbs. Gives you the blue effect, but keeps you halogen.

If you end up doing your own projectors, PM me, I'll help you through it. One tip right now.. get 55w, not 35w. My outside projectors are 55w. The inside ones are 35w. What a difference. The 55w is like daylight!
Ohh okay sweet. Thanks for the info man!