Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to : Bleed ayc/acd with no mut3!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 04:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to : Bleed ayc/acd with no mut3!

Hey guys figured I'd write this post because I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere on the forums how to do this after changing my clutch, and it seems like an frequently asked question. Being 450miles from the nearest Mitsu dealer I actually had to figure out my own procedure, because the stealership said there is no other way besides MUT3. This is my procedure no expensive MUT3 software needed. Hope this saves you the frustration I went through.

What you will need:
2L Diamond ATF lll fluid ONLY THIS FLUID!
1 floor jack.
2 jack stands.
10mm wrench.
Flashlight.
Flexible hose.
1 oil drain pan.
1 or 2 friends.

Before we start. There is lots of confusion when it comes to the AYC case and the transfer case they are NOT the same, the AYC is sealed inside the transfer case and uses a different type of fluid. AYC uses ATF fluid and transfer case uses 75w-90 gear oil, you bleed the AYC and only fill the transfer case.

PROCEDURE TIME:

You will need all 4 tires off the ground for this. Start by jacking up one side of the front of the car at a time and getting your two jack stands under. Then when you have the front off the ground jack the rear of the car up either on the center of the diff or on the black crossmember directly behind the diff. I chose the diff because the car isn't heavy and isn't in the air long, plus it's a jacking point in the manual. Now that the car is off the ground you will want to locate the 3 bleeder screws.

There is one on the AYC clutch pack on the bottom of the transfer case, and 2 on the middle of the rear diff facing the rear bumper (right behind the black crossmember.)

Take off the cover on the inside right side of your trunk liner this is your AYC system fluid. Have a friend make sure that this NEVER goes below the MIN mark, keep filling it or you'll suck tons of air and he won't be your friend anymore.

Now comes the fun part.
Start your car and leave it in neutral. Grab your 10mm wrench and flexible hose + drain pan, and crawl under the rear diff. Put the hose on the port and open it a few turns. Have a friend grab one of your rear tires and move it in a violent back and forth motion while you crack a bleeder port (doesn't matter which one) the motion will activate the pump behind your right hand rear fender wall, you might hear it you might not, a steady stream should be coming out now. Once all the bubbles stop close it, and repeat for the second bleeder port. I moved all 4 tires for the rear diff.

Now that the AYC pump is bled. You can move to the lowest point which is the AYC pack on the transfer case. Repeat the procedure you used for the rear diff.

Your now done, take the car off the jacks, top off the fluid, and enjoy.
I had a whining pump and service 4x4, AYC lights on and this got rid of that. 400 miles later and no issues.
The following users liked this post:
ugakirk (May 1, 2018)
Old Dec 18, 2015, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question so you moved each one of the tires at a time to bleed the rear diff?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Question so you moved each one of the tires at a time to bleed the rear diff?
Yea. I moved the two rear tires and then the front just to be safe.
The following users liked this post:
ugakirk (May 1, 2018)
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I can use this same method to drain, fill and then bleed, right?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this method after completely draining the transfer case. 15k miles later no issues so far.

I only moved one of the front wheels when I did this, and could definitely tell when the pump was pressurizing the front clutch pac. Thanks for the write up!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol nice right up, but why only diamond atf iii?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by MurderInc
Hey guys figured I'd write this post because I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere on the forums how to do this after changing my clutch, and it seems like an frequently asked question. Being 450miles from the nearest Mitsu dealer I actually had to figure out my own procedure, because the stealership said there is no other way besides MUT3. This is my procedure no expensive MUT3 software needed. Hope this saves you the frustration I went through.

What you will need:
1 floor jack.
2 jack stands.
10mm wrench.
Flashlight.
Flexible hose.
1 oil drain pan.
1 or 2 friends.

Before we start. There is lots of confusion when it comes to the AYC case and the transfer case they are NOT the same, the AYC is sealed inside the transfer case and uses a different type of fluid. AYC uses ATF fluid and transfer case uses 75w-90 gear oil, you bleed the AYC and only fill the transfer case.

PROCEDURE TIME:

You will need all 4 tires off the ground for this. Start by jacking up one side of the front of the car at a time and getting your two jack stands under. Then when you have the front off the ground jack the rear of the car up either on the center of the diff or on the black crossmember directly behind the diff. I chose the diff because the car isn't heavy and isn't in the air long, plus it's a jacking point in the manual. Now that the car is off the ground you will want to locate the 3 bleeder screws.

There is one on the AYC clutch pack on the bottom of the transfer case, and 2 on the middle of the rear diff facing the rear bumper (right behind the black crossmember.)

Take off the cover on the inside right side of your trunk liner this is your AYC system fluid. Have a friend make sure that this NEVER goes below the MIN mark, keep filling it or you'll suck tons of air and he won't be your friend anymore.

Now comes the fun part.
Start your car and leave it in neutral. Grab your 10mm wrench and flexible hose + drain pan, and crawl under the rear diff. Put the hose on the port and open it a few turns. Have a friend grab one of your rear tires and move it in a violent back and forth motion while you crack a bleeder port (doesn't matter which one) the motion will activate the pump behind your right hand rear fender wall, you might hear it you might not, a steady stream should be coming out now. Once all the bubbles stop close it, and repeat for the second bleeder port. I moved all 4 tires for the rear diff.

Now that the AYC pump is bled. You can move to the lowest point which is the AYC pack on the transfer case. Repeat the procedure you used for the rear diff.

I had a whining pump and service 4x4, AYC lights on and this got rid of that. 400 miles later and no issues.

pictures would be awesome when it comes to diy. Please post them
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Has this procedure been proven to work? About to replace my pump.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHalfSack
Has this procedure been proven to work? About to replace my pump.
Yes it works. I bled mine after moving the pump to the trunk.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChipperEvo:
MrHalfSack (Feb 19, 2018), ugakirk (May 1, 2018)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ChipperEvo
Yes it works. I bled mine after moving the pump to the trunk.
Awesome, thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 09:16 PM

Great write up, thanks for contributing!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:24 PM

I know this thread was made quite a few years ago, but I was wondering if I have to bleed the transfer case as well if I only replaced the rear diff?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by MurderInc

What you will need:
1 floor jack.
2 jack stands.
10mm wrench.
Flashlight.
Flexible hose.
1 oil drain pan.
1 or 2 friends.

PROCEDURE TIME:

Now comes the fun part.

Just to be clear this is for the EVO X USDM VERSION RIGHT?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Will this fix my 3 Faulty ACD lights coming on. Randomly after starting it up and driving it. I get 3 lights all solid, but the car still feels fine. My question is once i bleed it and refill the fluid, would this fix my light situation? It makes me nervous when i see faulty lights
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:09 AM

You may have a bad pump

Quick Reply: How to : Bleed ayc/acd with no mut3!