Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

New Parts: AMS, Defi, Boomba, Subtle.....Pics and Reveiw

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Parts: AMS, Defi, Boomba, Subtle.....Pics and Reveiw

Got some new parts for the new X. Like to thank AMS, Gruppe-S, and Subtle. The guys over at Subtle especially......not only great parts, never had better follow up and customer service in 6 yrs of Evo ownership. On to the pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

AMS performance intake in black. Well engineered piece, the shield took some work to get it to clear the headlamp electrical connector and the top of the differential case. Not sure if it's making more power but it sure as hell is making more noise lmao. Tune from STM next month or so will hopefully sort that out.

[IMG][/IMG]

Boomba Racing catch can. Bought from AMS. Absolutely well thought out piece. Teflon tape on the screws, o-rings prelubed, snap rings for removing the can, labeled for in and out ports. Only problem here was a mounting solution. Ended up using a LONG M6x75 bolt with spacers mounted in the inboard boost solenoid bracket hole. Had to reverse the can's mount bracket for clearance, used the piping from the valve cover, also an Amsoil breather filter on the out port. Came out very nice.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Subtle engine cover. Gorgeous piece. Bends are dead on, corners and bends are radiused. Clearance is tight, esp. on the valve cover breather (second pic), and fwd harness bracket (third pic). Used some small rubber spacers under all three mounting location and worked out nicely (fourth pic).

Also, these guys are all over your email. Processing, invoicing, shipping, follow-up. Instructions were mailed to me as a very nice looking PDF. Best vendor I have ever bought from.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Defi White Racer stand-alone boost gauge. Bought from Gruppe-S. Very nice unit. Special thanks to ZWingerRyRy for his original write-up. Install was straight forward, wiring was a snap...once i stopped trying to use the damn add-a-fuse garbage things from Autozone. Only thing i did custom was the mounting of the remote sensor (second pic). Bunch of guys doing zip tie installs and stuff, which is fine, but my **** helicopter mechanic self could not permit it. Made a small bracket out of .090-6065 aluminum, and drilled, prepped, and primed it. Installed at the mount bracket for the ECU I believe it is.

[IMG][/IMG]

Rexpeed carbon hood struts. Damn these things are stiff. Install is easy and they do their job while looking nice. Could do without the gold colored piston caps but meh. Rexpeed has been serving me well for many years, lots of carbon goodies from them on the old Evo, and if they say this is what I need then so be it.

Yeah my engine is dirty, i've cleaned it countless times but the weather here in sunny Watertown NY is murder on your vehicle.
AMS hot pipe and exhaust coming soon then a tune. Wheels and a drop for the summer...if they have that here. Thanks for reading.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

AMS Racing Series Cat-back Exhaust. Very well put together exhaust, welds are immaculate, no scratches, all the hardware in a well packed box. You'll notice in AMS's product description there is a very small blurb under the specifications section detailing the unit has a muffler. I think they meant amplifier lmao. You can wave your hand in front of the tip and see it from the midpipe connection....they are not kidding when they say it does not neck down. The exhaust note is exactly what I as after, very deep at an idle without turning "tinny" under revs. Fit is close on the inboard side where it exits the diffuser aka. parachute as you can see in the second pic. Not going to rub at all though. In the third pic you can see a blue marking where the aft end of the cat had to have the pinches on hte sides opened up a bit to get the mid pipe flange to fit in it, other than that no issues. I cannot sing the praises enough of PB Blaster lol.

Carbign Craft CF Hood Scoop. Finish is 10/10, fitment is 9/10. Only real issue was having to spread the mount studs out quite a bit to get it into the predrilled holes in the hood. Other than that looks really good, not too much at all. First pic is of the lip broken off the stock scoop, from what i have no idea looked like a big rock. Second is top down view. Needed to paint the stock hood mounted heat shield with a little engine enamel so the silver didn't show up from the outside. Third pic is profile. Very happy overall, cept for the rock smashing my car part.

Last edited by ch47god; Jun 6, 2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added hood scoop
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

great mods
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Great mods, keep it up.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Nice mods keep them coming
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

How do you like defi gauge? How does the warning work on this gauge? I know you can turn the triangle dial but does it beep or flash when you pass the level its set at? Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:21 PM

very nice. i sense some more custom creations from the OP in the future
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:44 AM

Were do you get subtle engine cover at?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zerocooll21
How do you like defi gauge? How does the warning work on this gauge? I know you can turn the triangle dial but does it beep or flash when you pass the level its set at? Thanks!
Defi gauge is very nice. There is no user configurable warning light i.e. overboost. Your only option is to set the bezel and monitor it your self. This is not at all like a "Link" series gauge that is in effect a display for a control unit, Racer series is standalone. I did test the sensor disconnect and short circuit functions in house and they work as advertised. Very well made, and matches the stock cluster almost dead on.

Code:
Were do you get subtle engine cover at?
Got it directly from Subtle at http://www.subtle-solutions.com/prod...products_id=59
Old Apr 23, 2010, 05:40 AM
cis
Evolving Member

very nice setup
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Cool thanks man!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice stuff keep it up.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Nice set up.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Can we get a pic of the underhood for a little further back to get the big picture. The intake, motor cover, etc. Want to see the complete product! Looking great
Old May 1, 2010, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

great mods

Last edited by macPSU; May 2, 2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: quoted entire original post
Old May 2, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

edited for exhaust

Quick Reply: New Parts: AMS, Defi, Boomba, Subtle.....Pics and Reveiw