Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Wrapped the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by osunick
Do the pillars in carbon as well. The factory black stickers look cheesy on all Evo X's.
I've thought about doing this but I would do it in the "interior" version of 3M's CF wrap. It's a lot shinier and pops more. The crappy part is it's INSANELY hard to work with and I'd probably go through 10 times the amount of actually needed vinyl before I got it right (at least on the driver's side pillar with the gauge pods).

Originally Posted by dolson222
This is awesome. Well done. Would love to see a how to on an evo if you happene to take any pics of the process. I would say do the grill area black plastics and pillars in CF. It may seem a bit much but AI love the idea of a simple 2 color theme (Blue/carbon) and it would look like you focused on attention to detail. Plus I hate the look of black plastic especially after a few years in the sun but thats just me. Either way, it looks great as is. Well done. Will you be doing any interior pieces?
I'll post what I have but really the only instructions you need are:
1. Take your time
2. Be patient
3. Do not get frustrated
4. Take your time
and finally
5. Take your time

This combined with not being afraid to stretch the material a little (not as much with CF but solid colors can be stretched more than you think) and making sure you have enough extra material to start an entire body panel over when you completely eff something up and you'll be able to do it. Prep is everything. Clean, clay bar, clean again, microfiber/alcohol rub down, use plastic gloves whenever you can.

Originally Posted by krgdesigns
YouTube has tons of videos of installs but just be careful it's not as easy as it looks and the material is not cheap to practice with. I do wraps so I have had to learn the hard way haha
Yep, what he said. It's not super cheap but the beauty is if you screw up, you take it off and no damage done. Start with smaller, flat pieces and work your way up to the larger, complex curved pieces.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:05 AM

I'm in love with your car.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love it!

I've been thinking about getting mine wrapped, this thread may have pushed me over the edge. I think I'd have a shop do it (I'm not that patient), any tips on finding the right shop and material?

I really want to do a a two tone (cosmic blue top 1/3, citrus metallic bottom 2/3s. Something along this line...
Attached Thumbnails Wrapped the Evo-2toneevo.jpg  
Old Dec 2, 2014, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChrisWantsBoost
I'm in love with your car.
Back off bro, she's mine.
Thanks man.

Originally Posted by cmoore
Love it!

I've been thinking about getting mine wrapped, this thread may have pushed me over the edge. I think I'd have a shop do it (I'm not that patient), any tips on finding the right shop and material?

I really want to do a a two tone (cosmic blue top 1/3, citrus metallic bottom 2/3s. Something along this line...
Yelp and Google is where I started. Then I went to the two shops that got the best reviews and checked them out. Talked to the owners of each and really got a feel for the shops. There are places out there that are just turn-and-burn shops who do not care about your car at all, just getting paid. I wanted to make sure I felt warm and fuzzy inside before committing and since both places gave me that reassurance, I went with the one that was half the price of the other one and could not have been happier.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NeedBoost!
Yelp and Google is where I started. Then I went to the two shops that got the best reviews and checked them out. Talked to the owners of each and really got a feel for the shops. There are places out there that are just turn-and-burn shops who do not care about your car at all, just getting paid. I wanted to make sure I felt warm and fuzzy inside before committing and since both places gave me that reassurance, I went with the one that was half the price of the other one and could not have been happier.
Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by cmoore
Love it!

Just make sure the material they are using is from a reputable company (i.e. 3M, Avery, etc) Then talk to them look at their past work preferably not in photos but in person. See if they use knifeless tape as you are wanting two colors you do not want them using a razor blade on your car. I'm a bit far for you to come to but take your time and talk it our with people beforehand and get the quote in writing so no surprises. Also if you are looking to do your door jams that will be more so make sure you are clear telling them all that you want and expect.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 04:57 PM

Looooooove that color!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 06:12 PM

looks good!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 03:22 PM