1/16" deep cut in sidewall - ok to drive? - evolutionm.net
evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Evo X Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
Sponsored by: Tire Rack

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:05 PM   #1
NMX
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: US
Posts: 69

Drives: Evo X

1/16" deep cut in sidewall - ok to drive?

Hey all, I just noticed a 1/16" deep cut right in the middle of the sidewall of one of my stock tires. It looks like a slash, that is about 1/2" long. I measured it and it's 1/16" deep at its deepest point. It looks almost like a knife cut it cleanly.

Is this ok to drive with? How about to track? I'm not sure how thick the sidewall is, and whether this will affect the durability of the tire? Luckily it did not pierce all the way through, so it's not leaking. What could have caused this? Thanks for any input!

Last edited by NMX; Oct 23, 2008 at 09:08 PM.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (8)
Garage is empty, add now
 
8UpUrV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 553

Drives: 03' Evo VIII, 93' 240sx

1/16" doesn't seem too bad, I've seen deeper last quite a while, actually I haven't seen any blowouts from something like that...

Should be fine, but take it to a good tire shop for more clarification

It could get caused by any sharp edge though, you never know. Usually a slashed tire will be a little deeper lol
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (11)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 602

Drives: something that goes 190mph, yet gets 35mpg

Ask yourself is it worth the risk? A tire is gonna cost you a couple hundered. A blown tire could cost you a lot more than that.
__________________
Yes there is such a thing as a Stupid Question
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:13 AM   #4
NMX
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: US
Posts: 69

Drives: Evo X

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkevin View Post
Ask yourself is it worth the risk? A tire is gonna cost you a couple hundered. A blown tire could cost you a lot more than that.
You're right - definitely not worth the risk...but I'm just wondering if it's only cosmetic damage and nothing to worry about. I think I'll stop by a couple of tire shops today to see what they think...thanks!
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now
 
08EvoXGSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 483

Drives: 06 C55 AMG

Drive on it....the tire is thcker then you think. As for a blow out...those can happen at anytime for a number of reasons. Think of how many times people drive with nails, screws, and other crap stuck in the tire and have a "slow leak".....worry about the big stuff.....cams, intake, exhaust
__________________
Originally Posted by Dyno4mance

OP may not have a bad TC but he certainly has a service manager with a bit of tard in him.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:35 AM   #6
ZK
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (10)
Garage is empty, add now
 
ZK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,006

Drives: 08 Evo 10

Tread damage can be patched.. sidewall damage can't be fixed and is pretty dangerous.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 02:47 PM   #7
NMX
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: US
Posts: 69

Drives: Evo X

So 3 out of 4 tire shops told me it's probably fine. The fourth one said any sidewall damage means I should replace the tire.

Basically, I was told that as long as the cords are not exposed, the tire should be fine. Does that sound right? The cut is not very deep (1/16" at the deepest), and only black rubber is exposed when I pull the cut apart to look in. Most seem to think it's just cosmetic damage and the actual sidewall is fine, but what do you guys think?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now
 
08EvoXGSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 483

Drives: 06 C55 AMG

I think you're fine....if not-well....get pics
__________________
Originally Posted by Dyno4mance

OP may not have a bad TC but he certainly has a service manager with a bit of tard in him.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 06:23 PM   #9
ZK
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (10)
Garage is empty, add now
 
ZK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,006

Drives: 08 Evo 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMX View Post
So 3 out of 4 tire shops told me it's probably fine. The fourth one said any sidewall damage means I should replace the tire.

Basically, I was told that as long as the cords are not exposed, the tire should be fine. Does that sound right? The cut is not very deep (1/16" at the deepest), and only black rubber is exposed when I pull the cut apart to look in. Most seem to think it's just cosmetic damage and the actual sidewall is fine, but what do you guys think?
I wouldn't risk it just to save some money... while the damage may look cosmetic, that cut part is weaker than the rest of the undamaged tire.

Pressure could build there and cause a bubble, the rubber layers to seperate or sudden blow out under certain conditions. You could drive on it and have no problems at all... there's no cut and dry answer.

It comes down to how much is it worth to have piece of mind?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 03:21 AM   #10
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (11)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 602

Drives: something that goes 190mph, yet gets 35mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMX View Post
So 3 out of 4 tire shops told me it's probably fine. The fourth one said any sidewall damage means I should replace the tire.

Basically, I was told that as long as the cords are not exposed, the tire should be fine. Does that sound right? The cut is not very deep (1/16" at the deepest), and only black rubber is exposed when I pull the cut apart to look in. Most seem to think it's just cosmetic damage and the actual sidewall is fine, but what do you guys think?
Dude.. hopefully you don't drive any kids or your wife around with this. You realize what you're doing? You have some damage that could result with you ending up on your head (when I'm willing to bet the last thought that goes through your mind is "I can't believe how stupid I was"), and your asking the freakin INTERNET if it thinks you'll be fine.
You're wanting justification, and if you feel good about getting it anonymously from the internet, you're a freakin moron. I realize that was harsh, but it's the truth. You didn't even bother to post up a picture of the cut/gash/slice, which doesn't matter anyway, because I'm willing to bet nobody that's responded to your thread is a tire engineer. Risking several thousand dollars in damage to your car, not to mention the possible injury or worse to yourself or anyone else you selfishly put in danger because of your stupid decision, is worth saving a couple hundred bucks? Lets say you wreck, and while you're fine, you kill someone else. This is hypothetical, but is possible. This thread pops up proving you had prior knowledge of it, but refused to fix it, and you end up with a manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, or at best, a negligent homicide wrap. You then get sued, so when you get out of jail, you spend the rest of your life paying down (because you'll never be able to afford to pay it off) the judgement.
Replace the gaw-damn tire, and get on with your life.
__________________
Yes there is such a thing as a Stupid Question

Last edited by fastkevin; Oct 26, 2008 at 03:29 AM.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 03:36 AM   #11
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (3)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Deepseadiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: GUAM, USA
Posts: 1,100

Drives: 2008 EVO X GSR

^ Just a little harsh! 3 out of 4 tire shops said it was OK! The stock tires only last 10,000 miles, so live a little and drive them till they are bald. When you have almost no traction in the rain, thats when you'll need new rubber. 1/16" is almost nothing.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 06:50 AM   #12
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now
 
DRAGHICI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: T G S
Posts: 687

Drives: GG 8

Don't forget, if you do change the tire all tires should be the same diameter.
You risk drivetrain damage with diff sizw tires. Example- new tire vs. Older tire are not same size.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:01 AM   #13
NMX
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: US
Posts: 69

Drives: Evo X

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkevin View Post
Dude.. hopefully you don't drive any kids or your wife around with this. You realize what you're doing? You have some damage that could result with you ending up on your head (when I'm willing to bet the last thought that goes through your mind is "I can't believe how stupid I was"), and your asking the freakin INTERNET if it thinks you'll be fine.
You're wanting justification, and if you feel good about getting it anonymously from the internet, you're a freakin moron. I realize that was harsh, but it's the truth. You didn't even bother to post up a picture of the cut/gash/slice, which doesn't matter anyway, because I'm willing to bet nobody that's responded to your thread is a tire engineer. Risking several thousand dollars in damage to your car, not to mention the possible injury or worse to yourself or anyone else you selfishly put in danger because of your stupid decision, is worth saving a couple hundred bucks? Lets say you wreck, and while you're fine, you kill someone else. This is hypothetical, but is possible. This thread pops up proving you had prior knowledge of it, but refused to fix it, and you end up with a manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, or at best, a negligent homicide wrap. You then get sued, so when you get out of jail, you spend the rest of your life paying down (because you'll never be able to afford to pay it off) the judgement.
Replace the gaw-damn tire, and get on with your life.
Wow, so you're right, I shouldn't get advice from the internet. I should get it from people that know tires. That's why I went to FOUR tire shops. Are you a tire engineer? Can you explain to me why a cosmetic cut in the sidewall will make my tire weaker? My point is that the tire shops seem to agree that there is nothing to worry about. The strength of the tire is in the cords, not in the upper most layer of rubber protecting the cords. Anyway, I'm in the process of trying to find a used stock tire for cheap. I only have 1k on the tires, and my new all seasons should be in within a couple of days anyway...but I'm still curious to hear why you are absolutely convinced that this is so dangerous to drive on? All you did was shout out potential consequences without any reasoning behind your statements...
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:06 AM   #14
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1

If there is no cords exposed then is it fine. Atleast thats what a michelin rep told me when i worked for NTB
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:10 AM   #15
Former Sponsor
Personal Sales Rating: (38)
Garage is empty, add now
 
DarksideEng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,576

Drives: WW X

Its fine from what Ive seen. My buddy had a cut about 1/4 inch deep in his sidewall and never had problems. That was with a 25 series tire too.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:10 AM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Tags
bike, cut, cuts, damage, deep, fixed, leaking, not, pulled, replace, screw, side, sidewall, slice, small, tire, tires, wall

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 









All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Passwords