Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Electronic Controlled Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Electronic Controlled Coilovers

Anyone use the Tein line of Coilovers and this setup?

Tein Type Flex ............... 12.0 kg .......... 10.0 kg ....... 16-way / Single dual ........ 0.5"-> 2.4" / 0.0"-> 2.6" .......... $1750
Tein Monoflex ................ 12.0 kg .......... 10.0 kg ....... 16-way / Single dual ........ 0.9"-> 3.0" / 0.2"-> 2.7" .......... $2000

http://www.shop4bodykits.com/0809-mi...t-p-10330.html

Basically for ~$150 more you can get in cabin control of the shock settings and have 3 presets. That would be great for daily driving, spirited street, and track settings. I would also imagine it would make the your Evo more Girl/Wife compatible.

My only concern is the spring rates seem too low in the back compared to the fronts. Everything I've read is that you want them relatively even with a stiff rear bar (8/8 or 10/10) or slightly stiffer rate in the rear with a milder rear bar settting (8/10 or 10/12)

I did notice the info at this page shows the spring rates as adjustable (maybe when ordering?) but it looks like they reversed the lbs/in labels. So possibly the spring rates are 10-14 kg front and 8-12 kg rear.

http://www.drivelinestore.com/tein/t...x/g-50208.aspx

Last edited by Hiboost; Jan 16, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've got pm.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly, for the street, I cannot imagine using something that had 12/10kg for anything other than the track. Unless you live where it is billiard table smooth everywhere, it is too much. That is roughly 3x as stiff as stock (~3.5/3.8kg)
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

I agree on that, seems 8/8 or 8/10 might be as high as you would want it for the street although from what I read if the valving is tuned to the spring rates properly then it's not as jarring as you might think. I already use 19" wheels during the warmer months and the roads are acceptable around here but you have to be on your toes for deeper pot holes.

Looks like with custom spring rates you can get 10/10 or 10/12 with these but like you said it might be on the edge of tolerable depending on your roads.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jan 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the springs are backwards like you.

I'm running 12/14 all the time. It's livable. 10/12 would be just about perfect for street tires track and autox (assuming you have good sways) IMO.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

livable in Texas where you don't have the snow and salt ripping up your roads all the time. I have 8/9 and am struggling some on Cleveland roads which are about the same as Rochester. Orignally from down south....8/9 would be great there.

For me it could be that the valving is too aggressive which is always a consideration.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

as sweet as it would be to be able to adjust dampers inside the cabin electronically...there aren't any coilover systems out there off the shelf with proper valving and quality that allow you to do so.

stay away from the green stuff.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I settled on BC Racing ER series Coilovers with a 10k/12k setup. Likely with the 10k/10k combo the AYC would still be able to allow good turn in but I can't imagine how a 12k/10k setup would work well at the limits without a big rear bar.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8,56.90918&z=5

I'll find out first hand how the new suspension handles since it will have to survive 4500+ miles during the 2010 One Lap of America event this spring.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveGSR
as sweet as it would be to be able to adjust dampers inside the cabin electronically...there aren't any coilover systems out there off the shelf with proper valving and quality that allow you to do so.

stay away from the green stuff.
agreed. being able to adjust from inside the car doesn't mean anything if you have three settings, and all 3 suck.

- Andrew
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
I settled on BC Racing ER series Coilovers with a 10k/12k setup. Likely with the 10k/10k combo the AYC would still be able to allow good turn in but I can't imagine how a 12k/10k setup would work well at the limits without a big rear bar.

I'll find out first hand how the new suspension handles since it will have to survive 4500+ miles during the 2010 One Lap of America event this spring.
good work on changing the spring rates, and BC will revalve them to match..

I overheated the BR series a few years back on my STi, I'm expecting the ER to not have the same issue since it has external canisters. Definitely let us know how it works out for you....I may be in the minority, but if I'm on a strict budget, I'd buy BC over the green stuff.

also keep a close eye on the front camber plate bearings...they wore out on my STi within a year of street duty.

AND...

do a google search on ER series shock dyno...should pop up a good review over on NASIOC or IWSTI showing where the valving is and what settings should work the best....if you're good with math you can figure out what setting to use with your spring rates.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveGSR
good work on changing the spring rates, and BC will revalve them to match..

I overheated the BR series a few years back on my STi, I'm expecting the ER to not have the same issue since it has external canisters. Definitely let us know how it works out for you....I may be in the minority, but if I'm on a strict budget, I'd buy BC over the green stuff.

also keep a close eye on the front camber plate bearings...they wore out on my STi within a year of street duty.

AND...

do a google search on ER series shock dyno...should pop up a good review over on NASIOC or IWSTI showing where the valving is and what settings should work the best....if you're good with math you can figure out what setting to use with your spring rates.
Good info! I was hoping the external reservoirs would alleviate any potential overheating issues. I like the fact they are piggyback versus underhood since the pasenger side reservoir would roast over my open headers and defeat the purpose of keeping the fluid cooler.

I did stumble on that article with the STI and will lean heavily on their findings for the initial setup and tweak it from there. No reason to ignore good data like that if I can account for the spring rates and get me in the ballpark!

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
agreed. being able to adjust from inside the car doesn't mean anything if you have three settings, and all 3 suck.

- Andrew
I have to agree, seems like for one the spring rates reverse of what they should be isn't going to help the Teins.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jan 20, 2010 at 05:59 PM.