Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Duralast Cmax ceramic brakes installed

Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Duralast Cmax ceramic brakes installed

Hey guys,

I know it's not popular around here and I'll probably get flamed but oh well, maybe it'll help someone.

I have 33k miles and the squeaking was really embarrassing me. Here I am with a nice car and everytime I pull up to a drive through window or approach a parking spot, people would turn and look at me with THAT look.

I installed the AutoZone Duralast Cmax ceramic pads (lifetime warranty) on the fronts yesterday. I did scuff the rotors first. I currently have 60 miles on them and will report as the miles get tacked on.

Impressions at 60 miles:

No Squeaking
No noticeable difference in breaking. (can lock em up)(I know ABS kicks in)
No noticeable difference in break pedal feel

I'll report again in 1000 miles or so.

Edit: Thanks Goofy - Forgot to mention, I don't track the car at all. strictly a DD. I have a few drag runs but nothing serious. If anyone is thinking of tracking I would suggest these as your DD pads and dedicated race pads for the track events..Swapping pads takes 30mins!!

Edit - 3/22/10 - Just a quick update:

600 miles or so on AZ DL pads. they are working great. NO NOISE AT ALL. stopping power and pedal feel still feel the same as stock. No brake dust that I can see

I had to make a panic stop from ~50mph due to a Deer trying to commit suicide.

Brakes did great....

Update - 5/26/10 - roughly 3600 miles

Absolutely the best choice I could of made for my driving style. These brakes are great! No DUST, I haven't washed my wheel once in three months. Just driving in the rain takes care of it. Sure they are not spotless, but they are also not caked with dust. and in the three months, NOT ONE SQUEAK!!!!

Stopping power/feel has remained consistent and it still feels like OEM brakes.

I know alot of people are going to say that they aren't as good as OEM, and they can't perform that well with aggressive driving, but I'm here to tell you that with normal day to day, grocery getting, commuting, these pads ROCK! I WOT at least once a day and have never felt like I wasn't going to be able to stop when I needed to brake hard.

I doubt they can handle track duty, but for every day driving, you would be very hard pressed to find a "better" pad.

Last edited by tsitalon1; May 26, 2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
just don't go to the track with them m'kay. Hate to see you go flying off turn 1 when your brake has turned into a bunch of little chunks lol.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
just don't go to the track with them m'kay. Hate to see you go flying off turn 1 when your brake has turned into a bunch of little chunks lol.
Thanks Goofy, good point. I've updated my OP.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Put some money aside for some real performance brake pads. Good luck
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Put some money aside for some real performance brake pads. Good luck
Have money, choose these as I believe they work just fine for the street. If I track I'll get some "real performance brake pads"
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just for curiosity's sake, watch the wear on your rotors and see if it causes anything special. I sometimes wonder if the stock pads are fairly soft and non-abrasive since they dusted so much (trade the "cheap" consumable of pads vs. the expensive consumable of rotors).
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I wondered about that...Dust is from pads, so it makes sense that less dusty pads will wear the rotors faster...

I guess it's all a trade off.

1. Expensive dusty pads that require daily/weekly wheel cleaning.

2. Cheaper pads that require less labor to maintain but wear the rotor faster costing more later..

I'll do my best to keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll MIC it when I do my tire rotations
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Have money, choose these as I believe they work just fine for the street. If I track I'll get some "real performance brake pads"
Well you might as well put 87octane. Hopefully you won't be doing high speed driving and expecting to stop on time...this is an area where you need not experiment.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Well you might as well put 87octane. Hopefully you won't be doing high speed driving and expecting to stop on time...this is an area where you need not experiment.
I expected the flames, so your not enlightening me.

These pads have been done on the iX and VIII's so this is not new. Why don't you use the search button instead of spewing junk.

For everyday driving at 8/10's there fine.

Edit: Did it for you since your to lazy:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ly-driver.html

Last edited by tsitalon1; Mar 19, 2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do people feel the need to bash members on here for their decisions? I am all for doing what I think is best for me...and not worrying about what others think about it. If the autozone ceramic pads work for what he wants, then so be it...That's his choice. Again, he said he's not tracking the car so it would be a waste of money to run track pads...
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

let us know how the dust is on the wheels after a week? Comparing with stock.....
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
I expected the flames, so your not enlightening me.

These pads have been done on the iX and VIII's so this is not new. Why don't you use the search button instead of spewing junk.

For everyday driving at 8/10's there fine.

Edit: Did it for you since your to lazy:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ly-driver.html
I had them for about 1 week waiting for my order of Ferrado 2500..long story short, brake pads failed and I flew through a stop sign doing about 50-60mph
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

The pads get hot and useless very quick
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I had them for about 1 week waiting for my order of Ferrado 2500..long story short, brake pads failed and I flew through a stop sign doing about 50-60mph
This changes things drastically!

This contradicts other's experience with these pads. I have read of many people with thousands of miles on these pads.

Hmm. I guess I will just feel them out. They did great during the bed in process which is WAY more than they would take on a daily basis..
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Details on what the cirumstances were?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Duralast Cmax ceramic brakes installed