Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

shudder when braking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shudder when braking

Just had the brake pads replaced with brand new organic pads and rotors resurfaced in february 2010. Everything was fine and smooth. But recently, ive been experiencing a shudder when I press the brakes and I'm at 30mph+ or so. its gotten worse over the last month. I figure its probably warped rotors.

The dealership told me the rotors cant be resurfaced, only replaced. When I had the brakes done, I took it to a Tires Plus (repair shop in Florida), that my family has been going to for years with no problems. They say they could resurface the rotors no problems, even though the dealership said it can't be done. (ok I understand the dealership probably knows best, but i figure they were just trying to get me to spend the money to buy new rotors)

Does this sound like something the repair shop could have messed up on, cheap pads, or a different issue althogether?

Last edited by GST Racer; Apr 6, 2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Sorry, wrong thread! and I read the sticky on resurfacing rotors, nevermind!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Typically resurfacing can be done once on rotors before too much material is removed. Usually rotors don't actually warp right away, but if you don't bed them in properly to the pads, they can develop hot spots which will have different friction levels as the rotors spins around. The trouble starts if you take the car out for a drive with the new pads and get on them pretty hard while failing to let them cool down back to normal temps before parking the car. Do that often enough initially and you get hot spots and uneven braking surfaces which over time start exaggerating so that slow stops leading up to traffic lights you will start to feel an uneven stopping feeling.

You may be able to scuff up the rotor surfaces again with 60 grit sandpaper and bed them in properly while ensuring that they completely cool down to normal temps before parking the car. Usually letting them sit overnight is the best at that point and the after that you will have an even layer of pad transferred to the rotors and they should start to clean up evenly once you get a few normal driving miles on them. If you are looking for some nice aftermarket rotors, DBA or Girodisc seem to be good choices.

Hope that helped!

Last edited by Hiboost; Apr 6, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what i found for organic pads.

The bedding in/break in procedure should be done as follows:
• Drive at approx. 35 mph (60 kmh) for about 500 yards (solid front discs) to 800 yards (vented front discs) while slightly dragging the brakes (i.e. light brake pedal pressure). This process allows the brake temperature to slowly and evenly build up to 300°C (572°F).
• Now, if possible, drive about 2200 yards maintaining the same speed without braking. This will allow the pads and discs to cool down evenly. After this cool-down, perform a normal brake application from 35 mph to 0. No panic stops!
• Now, the friction surface has evenly developed friction coal, the pads have bonded with the disc surface, and tensions in the disc materials will have disappeared.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

double trouble

Last edited by kwlevo; Apr 7, 2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:21 PM
EvoM Community Team

Sounds like you didn't bed the new pads properly. You've got uneven pad transfer on the rotors from the new pads.

Trying bedding the pads properly and see if the shudder goes away. Just do a Google search, or check out this advice from Tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GST Racer
Just had the brake pads replaced with brand new organic pads and rotors resurfaced in february 2010. Everything was fine and smooth. But recently, ive been experiencing a shudder when I press the brakes and I'm at 30mph+ or so. its gotten worse over the last month. I figure its probably warped rotors.

The dealership told me the rotors cant be resurfaced, only replaced. When I had the brakes done, I took it to a Tires Plus (repair shop in Florida), that my family has been going to for years with no problems. They say they could resurface the rotors no problems, even though the dealership said it can't be done. (ok I understand the dealership probably knows best, but i figure they were just trying to get me to spend the money to buy new rotors)

Does this sound like something the repair shop could have messed up on, cheap pads, or a different issue althogether?
You will need to follow the pad manufacturer's instructions for bedding first. If you have caught this early enough, that should clear up the judder. If not, the judder will remain as the rotors would now be worn unevenly. Only turning will fix that condition. Using sandpaper by hand on iron rotors should be avoided as it will decrease the chances of leaving a truly flat surface.

Chris